Mastering the art of swordfighting

Yet nobody uses shields… For some reason I have a problem, that I can’t use combos if shield is equiped. Even though I’m using shortsword (Page’s Sword) I can never do combos with shield. I’ve spent several hours practicing with Bernard using wooden shortsword and shield and I don’t think I even once managed to do a combo. But without shield I can do them almost every time. Why is it like that for me? Nobody knows. So I just have to mash faces with a mace :c

Hello there mate. In the advanced combo video I showed at the end a little something about shortsword and a shield. I was able to pull of 3 out of the 4 combos, but one of them is not possible. It’s called the half-sword and to execute it you need to have your left hand free. But the other 3 work with a shield.

I will be streaming tonight at 19:00 CET and if you’d like, feel free to join the stream I’ll play with a short sword and a shield to show you.

It seems you also had a bit of a probem with that. But it’s just strange, because I can easily do all combos without shield. Maybe there is something more to it, or maybe I’m just unlucky.

I’ve decided to use a shortsword for my second playthrough and here is a quick duel with the wayfarer knight!

If it helps I have a few very relevant and bite-size videos I could compile and upload to show you how I deal with Swordfights.

The absolutely most important aspect in a duel (facing one enemy or simply Bernard):

• Never strike first, have your twitchy trigger-finger on the block to reposit while avoiding damage
  • Don’t follow up on a combo if your opponent have enough stamina to effectively block with risk of a
    reposit
  • Use short birst-combos, such as the run-trough, getting him on his back and while he’s trying to get up
    you a very efficient opportunity to deal huge amounts of damage with a powerful 4-part combo move - which doesn’t do much to Bernard beside player experience - but almost always finishes foes you face in the open-world.

The last point is more important than ever early in, specifically when facing heavily armored enemies using plate helmet.

In my experience a plate helmet usually offer more resistance than a shield with high-priority npc’s - or mini-bosses if you will - thus worth getting familiar with.

This is thus incredible relevant if you choose to roll with a longsword or shortsword without a shield while outnumbered.

I’ll be back posting some examples if you’re interested!

2 Likes

I’ve been watching your videos on you tube and think they’re awesome, only, I play in ps4 and think the execution needed for each successful move may not be 100% applicable because you’re always reffering to the mouse of course.
May I add a thought on performing a master strike, although it’s probably contradictory to what anybody would recommend.
If you’re facing a skilled opponent, and he’s performing a combo, let one of his strikes land and then immediately block, triggers a repost all the time.
Again, great stuff!

1 Like

Great combat, but did you try to play with no slow motion, without the gamey trick of having the perfect block green shield indicator and with mods that improve combat AI? I guess you won’t have as much ease :wink:

Late to comment, but anyway. From my experience, it’s much harder to do a combo with wooden training weapons than with real weapons. The game is realistic in the way that the wooden weapons don’t have enough power to make Bernard lose his footing. It’s easy for him to parry or counter your combos.

Try sparring with real weapons.

what about mace?; and if you use one handed weapon, why not use a shield? thanks!

I have not tried with mods, but now that Hardcore is out I quite enjoy it. There is still the slow-mo though:

1 Like

Mace is incredible against all foes, but I like the elegance of swords. I don’t use a shield just to be cool and rogue like.

It would help some of us if Bernard wasn’t bugged while teaching more advanced techniques in the first place. V 1.6 on PS4.

Yes, as much as I tried to avoid it, bashing heads with a mace was much more effective, especially against multiple foes. Even with level 1 mace and level 14 sword.

1 Like

Any idea how someone can do the clinch moves on PS4? These are cool videos but its a little rough for us noobs on consoles to understand it.

Also, is there a trick to timing combos? I know how to use most of the 3 hit combos but barely ever land them against Bernard, he counters it 98% of the time. I probably wont even bother with trying any 4 hit combos.