Monty Python References

Well I’m just throwing an idea into an already large hat of brilliant ideas from the community, so I’m just letting everyone know that I think a few Python references should be used in the game, for example someone claiming that a witched turned him into a newt, and dammit if I can’t have an argument with a guard about the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow I will be sorely upset!!

4 Likes

might work in small doses, but doesn’t fit the tone probably. keep in mind this isn’t saints row or gta where narrative immersion barely means anything because game is already very silly. if it’s to be done, it should be barely noticeable even for those who’ve watched the film imho

1 Like

You could do some subtle references I think.
Like a bridge with much blood and a black helmet, a dead cow outside of a castle, a white bunny with blood on its mouth, two coconut halves lying around, a guy digging in a puddle of mud muttering about who elected this king of his and so on :smiley:

1 Like

I thing its a great idea. Reminds me witcher 3 where guys in the background were quoting pulp fictions “zed is dead”… I actually think that it would work even better ( if done well ) in such a grounded and realistic game. I don’t want KC too serious all the time…

Maybe a quest to get a shrubbery for some knights?

Personally I have strong distaste in pop culture references in games that attempt to go the realistic route. It breaks immersion to much.

Also references to an English movie while playing in medieval Bohemia seems very out of place.

2 Likes

Warhorse will implement humor, that’s for sure. The question is whether or not other cultures are willing to understand this kind of humor as it’s just as specific as British humor.

3 Likes

I’m absolutely with you - if there would be references they have to be very very subtle.
But I think no references at all would be much better - immersion being the key word.

1 Like

It’s easy to do it and many people will not even notice it unless you know about Monthy Python movies. So you could easily have a soldier running around after a battle shouting “Bring out your dead, bring out the dead!” while handling a wooden cart.

I noticed other references in the Witcher series. In Witcher 2 there was a joking reference to the Hobbit. It was hilarious. Geralt’s task was to get a magical ring (or something like it) and he sarcastically said “this isn’t some fairy tale. What am I supposed to do next, climb up a mountain and throw it into a volcano?”. Then some dwarves nearby cracked up laughing like it was the silliest idea.

If they were to implement any MP:TQftHG humor, best bet would be:

That’d be best during a siege since dead cows were used to spread disease amongst the defenders (Flung from trebuchets most of the time due to their longer range.)

Not sure if newts are actually in Europe or not.

And my personal one is somebody talks about a rumored group of moontouched knights who run about saying, ‘‘Ni’’ all the time.

Monty Python are very much known and loved outside of Britain as well, in case you didn’t know.

The Witcher 3 had some good references and inside jokes while being very low key about it. If Warhorse can do something like that I’d be happy.

Bring out your dead.

So? Just because something is popular it doesn’t need to be used in a game. This is a lack of original creativity. It’s like those retrostyle games that don’t come up with a new gameplay. Instead they try to copy as much as possible from their inspiration (some old successful game) to achieve a similar result.

Those references will bring up another issue: localization. If you have to tell the localization company which part of the text is from which movie or game, they would need to use the reference in the localised version of the movie or game as well. I noticed sometimes, that you can play some games only in English to get these references, because the translator didn’t know that some texts were actually references.

4 Likes

The only thing I said is that “other cultures”, as you put, are indeed able this “understand this kind of humor”. It’s a bit weird that your answer to me telling you your statement is incorrect is “So?”. If you don’t think it matters, why make the statement in the first place?

For your own sake, I hope you are able to see the difference between using a reference from a popular film in a minor dialogue and stealing another game’s gameplay.

I fail to see how localization would be a problem. Either they are able to make the correct translation or see just like anyone else who has never seen the film in the first place. One who hasn’t might still it funny even though said person don’t know it’s a reference, examples: “have a soldier running around after a battle shouting “Bring out your dead, bring out the dead!” while handling a wooden cart.”, “a guy digging in a puddle of mud muttering about who elected this king of his”, and “someone claiming that a witch turned him into a newt”.

I think you missed a point there. I was referring to the Czech humor, which is not like British humor. It can be very rough to get along with this.

I was referring to creativity. For great gameplay mechanics you need to be creative. For great story you need to be creative. For great visuals and audio implementation you need to be creative. So if you can’t come up with something on your own and have to obviously steal from someone else’s creativity, then you should think about the value of the creation of your game. What you call a minor dialogue can’t be so minor if it achieved popularity.

In terms of getting the reference or the joke? If you actually know all the movies and games in your own language and someone in the forum here tells you, that the game has tons of references from certain movies or games then you’d be looking for it without finding evidence because of the mistranslation (or maybe correct translation without minding the reference). Also some jokes get lost in translation, and this happens more often if they’re a reference.

2 Likes

yeah it can be silly when it’s force fit into the game. jokes do need good timing, and the right situation can present itself for these types of jokes. simply shoving them in might be weird. and czech references would definitely fit the setting more.

i have been willing to google and consult forums to understand the more obscure references, i think this is true for many people. medieval references don’t have to be just some joke lifted directly from monty python, there are other medieval related cultural references, joke or otherwise, that could be more relevant, in terms of flavor, aesthetics, humor, etc.

in witcher 2 , they did a jab at assassins creed, showing what really happens when you jump a hundred feet into a hay cart. i thought it was well done, and some jokes are better at the expense of others. the timing was also right, because the situation and place was put together correctly. so i think in terms of highlighting stupid conventions most medieval rpgs do, war horse will have a field day.

Monty Python is hugely popular over here in Bohemia. Czech people have very dark, sarcastic sense for black humor.

2 Likes

Yep localisation can be a problem. But the thing is that Monthy Python references does not really need to be visible in other languages.

Adding an easter egg in the game does not mean that creators cannot come up with something original. It quite the opposite.
Adding well fused easter eggs can only add another layer to the game. It also reveals what kind of people made the game and most importantly it creates bond between devs and players.

Python references (or other references) are not stealing, that is silly.
If whole KCD was based on killing killer rabbit with holy granade (blessed be thy hand which shalt throw it), then it would be stealing, but making a joke that requires knowledge of other things (be it book, movie, mathematic equation or anything else) can be hardly seen as stealing.

It seems to me that you just dont like the idea of easter eggs and so you use generalistic defenses that does not really aplly here.

I’d say that in many ways it is.

1 Like

Well, first of all I’d be EXTREMELY careful of how blatant you make it. Don’t know about the rest of the world, but here in the States LARPers and other related hobbyists get REAL tired of the newbies coming in quoting Monty Python, Princess Bride, Spaceballs, etc. Not least of which because once ONE person starts doing it, EVERYONE starts doing it. And then you spend fifteen minutes trying to stop it so you can get on to the next fight.

Yes, they’re awesome movies. Yes, they’re ridiculously quotable. And yes, we’ve ALL HEARD IT ALREADY. PLEASE don’t!

That said, subtle references such as a knight using the coat-of-arms of one of the characters from the movie could be cool. In fact all of them, except perhaps Arthur’s, even follow the rules of heraldry without being silly (Arthur’s mustachioed sun would be a bit of a stretch).

1 Like