Multiplayer POSSIBLE

If anything, at this point it’s more imperative that we get the game that’s being advertised, and that is a single-player game. Warhorse is committed to doing that.

If future acts build in something different, it should be strictly optional and not interfere in any way with the single-player experience. If that means some sort of thing on the side that doesn’t even interact with single-player, I wouldn’t have a problem with that. Think of it akin to Bioshock 2 throwing in a MP element that was completely separate from the actual game story.

Whatever the case, my only preference in this case is a pure single-player experience.

And, since I noticed it was gone, I’m glad the barely-readable post asking about “girls and sluts” from the poster who’s only had an account here for two hours was hidden.

It’s sad, but any sort of discussion on any thinkable form of multiplayer turns into an irrational kinda flamewar in here more and more easily with every new attempt. Even otherwise reasonable and wise-seeming users tend to turn very quickly to little kids over this matter. As you just saw…

I kindly ask anyone eager to respond to my following post to read it whole first and not just to skip and ignore a half of it in some burst of anger.

Dan Vávra stated quite clearly that no such thing as a coop or MP is going to happen for the ACT 1, so I think there is no need to worry that this first and crucial part of the game would get somehow watered down for the sake of any MP features. That’s a good thing and I myself am truly glad for it. For those two future acts, he again stated clearly, that it’s just a possibility, which evidently means that any similar sort of feature is at the very bottom of their hypothetical list and would most probably not get dealt with before their idea of their SP game gets realised as they want it. Again, thumbs up for such a notion.

This little diamond of a game needs to be polished properly in its originally planned SP form first of all. Seems as clear as day. This is the primary goal of it’s creators and they are not willing to take any chaces with it. Seems as clear as an ordinary day on the Bahamas. That, if you are reading and hearing their updates well.

By endlessly pouncing * “even you * thinking * that very idea is gonna ruin the entiiire game for everyone”*, or * “MP by itself is a scourge of the universe and would dooom this whole game” * like little children is actually dishonoring the effort, which KCD’s developers are showing to all of you repeatedly all the way through.
Do you actually trust them a bit, or not?

Well, I do.
And I also like the idea of a really small, rather minimalistic (Witcher 2 EE arena-like), side-feature MP sometime in the future to try out this promising combat mechanics they have put so much effort towards. Because such a thing has no way of doing any imaginable harm to the SP game itself and because not doing it at all would be a waste. Because all the technical accomplishments they have done for this game have a much more far-reaching potential then just this very game’s SP. Chris Robert’s interest in the layering technology nicely demonstrates that. And his game is MP-based, BTW.

If an isolated MP arena addon gets created after the final ACT 3 would get finished to it’s intended state and then released as a stand-alone DLC purely for those who would be interested (and for example have finished the game already and would like to try to bring in and try out their personal build of Henry againts others), how possibly can that hurt the rest of the (already properly finished) game?

And if you haters are going to respond to my poste, I please beg you to answer this particular question, because I have yet to see a proper argument.
And sorry, I’m not going to investigate the whole rest of this forum again, if it actually did appear somewehere. The discussion now moved here, because elswhere it apparently died, burned like the poor Jan Hus in the flames of flamewar.
Argument can be a sentence, or two. A small paragraph. I wrote several of these just by now. And I am really trying hard to be polite and reasonable here, compared to how angered and disgusted I actually got by this endless, sensles, unreasonable and really unfair treatment of this idea of nothing more than a sheer and harmless possibility.

Why do you seriously think people bring this topic up? Just beacuse they like teasing someone with it?
NO - just because some (yea, right, SOME) of them woud like to discuss it on truly reasonable terms, at least for the more distant future of this game, which is still out there in the stars. The imminent future seems to be mostly set already.
And hopefully for the good of it.

I’m just asking you to try to approach this sort of topic the same way, like you actually could do with many other topics around here, if I still remember.

(Finally, taking a long and deep breath…)

6 Likes

Thank you for this post!

I doubt this will happen

I’d like to get simple multiplayer duel arena. I don’t care if it is balanced or anything, just basic cryengine multiplayer support for private servers, and forum dedicated to challenges and score keeping. If the combat system really is good, it would be waste not to let people use it for duels. But I too agree, singleplayer should be the main goal.

Not that worried though, someone makes a mod for that anyway.

Main thing and essential for any good MP to have fun with and not frustration is a sophisticated and top-notch netcode. Many games (AAA titles) suck mainly because of bad netcode. Especially games where the player needs to respond quickly (FPS) suffer from this. Don’t know how good the CE3’s default one is (if there is any).

@PhanTom_CZ

I am on my phone at the moment so I can’t do multiple quotes as a reply due to the limitations of this site on Android. However, I would like to address this part of your post in particular.

I have specifically suggested that very thing on more than one occasion in the other multiplayer/co-op/horde mode threads. What you may not realise if you have not read the other threads created so far regarding this topic: this has NOT been the goal that the original poster has had in mind. Instead they have wanted the multiplayer or co-op fitted into the single player somehow, or the multiplayer to be done concurrently to act II or III, much to many people here’s chagrin. So perhaps now you can at least understand some people’s frustration at another thread in the same vein as the others, even if the original poster’s intent was different this time.

I am not saying that every negative comment in this thread is for these reasons, some may be dismissing it out of hand. But as far as I am concerned I have no problem with a MP component being added provided it is as you have described in the text I have quoted above.

I have taken the time to read through your post and respond as best I can. Perhaps you (and others requesting a multiplayer mode) could return the courtesy and read through the existing threads on this topic before making another one tomorrow. :smile:

Thanks

1 Like

While I don’t remember literally how did @TOBIAS (the original poster) write his post at first, before the edit, I would remember if the change would be too radical. He’s not (and I don’t believe he even was) suggesting any “multiplayer or co-op fitted into the single player somehow”. Some actual MP-trolls did elswhere, no arguing about that.

His idea seems like the option to upload statistical info from the SP onto the web, possibly via some player’s profile on the game’s home site and forum (or copying it somehow to Facebook, whatever…). That has nothing to do with MP.

And when he did mention MP, it pretty much resembled the standalone-idea-of-an-MP many of us seem to actually agree on without going haterish and trollish. And yet some notorious MP-haters started going bluntly anti-MP trolling just as soon as they got here.
This is what outraged me to the point of writing that little novel up there.
Some of them go even so far to actually try to make it look like they represent the voice of the whole community with this. WHAT? Is this turning into some sort of joke?

The very idea of any sort of MP in this game si actually just hanging on a rather thin thread, but a specific handful of very vocal users seem to suffer a growing hystery over the idea that Warhorse would give in to the campaign-MP trolls. If you do watch what is going on around the KCD concept, you know that can’t be further from truth.

This sort of acting is irrational and in the extreme point they seem trying to make (like to eradicate the idea altogether by making it sound like everybody here just hates it) is even very selfish, as they are trying to influence even things that might not have any impact on their own interaction with the game at all, while others (possibly an actual majority) might benefit from them, if they were implemented with reason in mind.
Does it mean they think the Warhorse developers do lack something like reason?
I hope not, as that would be a quite foolish sort of underestimation, especially in current circumstances.

The fact that the MP theme is being opened up repeatedly in several threads is another thing altogether. It might be good if the admins/moderators locked up most of these threads as well as most of any future ones and redirected the users to one particular thread instead. To keep the MP discussion in one place at least.

if i wanted mp, i’d pledge for an mp game. the kickstarter tag clearly states realistic, authentic, single player medieval rpg.

i think people who pledge need to respect the dev’s vision and stop asking for things that are not in their design.

4 Likes

Before reading this and earlier posts, I think it’s appropriate to say, that I only added the last paragraph starting with EDIT, and cause it did not helped, I made the sentence of the third paragraph a heading to make it visible, because at that time I was unable to add new posts (badge was not assigned yet)
I don’t want to alter the pure SP experience, cause I love it as well. But later I’d use some MP experience as well.

I think I’ve said I’d be all right with some sort of MP element as long as the single-player side is kept the way Warhorse intends it to be. If they end up with the resources and ability to do some sort of MP thing outside of that, like in a later tourney mode or something else, fine - so long as the single-player side remains the high-quality story and play they’re going for.

At this point I have and expect to continue to have zero interest in going through the actual story with anyone else joining it.

i have to agree. and mp likely will end up being like m&b/warband/war of the roses. ie, crap.

[quote] The fact that the MP theme is being opened up repeatedly in several threads is another thing altogether. It might be good if the admins/moderators locked up most of these threads as well as most of any future ones and redirected the users to one particular thread instead. To keep the MP discussion in one place at least. [/quote] I think this would be for the best. :thumbsup:

Edit: Didn’t take long for me to be proven right either. Multiplayer Idea

If you want medieval battlefield I would recommend war of the roses, I like that one very much.

I think that the possibilities of large scale multi-player battles with realistic battle systems sounds good. But the thing is you can’t just make the game for single-player and put multi-player in it afterwards… The systems needs to be refined for this, else we’re going to see a lack of performance due the the programming of the game which is not optimized for handling PVP combat.

But as I’ve said, War of the Roses does a great job imo.

Guys, it’s so simple:

There is one pie called budget. You can either spend all the money for a SP game. Or you could split it up to also make some MP elements. But that way there would be less money for SP. Because there is still only one pie.

Most people here just want all the money to be invested in SP to make that the best possible experience. There is no reasonable argument which could deny that fact, it’s just blah, blah “But I want MP, dammit”…

1 Like

What makes me shake my head are the people - and I’ve seen them - who REFUSE to play a game unless it’s MP. My preference is a well-crafted SP story but I’ll try MP if I’m interested enough (GTAV, for example). Inevitably, I never play MP games enough to get good enough for it to be worth sticking through and dealing with the people who know every last detail of a game because that’s all they do.

If someone is MP-only, how many solid SP games are they missing out on because they won’t even try them? Their loss, I guess.

4 Likes

I don’t see why this game cannot be both multi and single. The team should just make the outstanding sp they are making and then later on add multiplayer, Multiplayer would get this game a lot more popular because people could make clans and fight other clans and make a massive community, Adding multiplayer should have no effect on SP. The people that are complaining that they invested in a SP game sound kind of dumb because thats what you are going to get, but also a whole new asset to the game that countless others will enoy!

I’ve always liked the concept of guilds and team battles and what not… but this isn’t an MMO…and its not even really a sandbox game. Theres an open world yes…but the character and the storyline are already set.

Although I’m a staunch supporter of Tournament MP…and that would even be cool to have teams and guilds that compete in tourneys. But open world MP seems pretty out of the question.

Remember their focus at the moment is the technology. However, it is very possible, and perhaps even probable that as they begin to conclude their primary purpose and goal that the engine will be turned towards multiplayer. I am fairly confident that the masses of MP fans arent crying out for the feature because they want to be Bavarian knights in KCD, but rather they simply want to be knights. Especially with star citizens help, the odds of the engine being converted at some point into multiplayer in some form or shape is in my opinion a foregone conclusion. This game will establish the genre, addons or other games entirely will expand upon it.

I’m with you man! Solid Singleplayer is something missing these last years…