New gameplay video "The Good, the Bad and the Sneaky"

By seeing this little video i have noticed the art style the game is using remembers me to The Sims Medieval. TSM did mixed up more comic look, but I could not say TSM and KCD are completely two different styles. Especially, by the characters.

I noticed that too, it’s older model (which is in game since alpha).

They knew how to make armour look nice and polished long before 500 AD, still there should be „imperfections“ like asymmetry and irregularity.
Look at this video, if you want to know what I mean:

(specifically 2:30 where he talks about difference between modern and medieval aesthetics)
Other thing he doesn’t mentions is difference between medieval and modern steel, medieval steel had imperfections, those are the small dark spots, which you can see on real medieval armours (they are often exaggerated by corrosion, butt not caused by it).
Beside that it‘s a bit weird, that everyone has brand new armour.
There is a rule in movies and video games that new never looks good.
This:
Just looks better than this:

(even though knight in the first screenshot doesn’t take very good care of his armour)

Well those two knights have their armor in good shape, but when I look closely, they are not all that perfect as you make it seem. They are very clean, but not “like new”. The henry´s armor looks quite new, but that is probably because it is new - henry probably just now earned his armor after service to his lord.

what you’re looking at are different armor types. the one worn by the constable is a thinner less polished cheaper style of armor:

1 Like

no, that rule sucks and makes no sense. the better rule is realism ie use reality as a reference and stop trying to placate the morons who just want to repeat and replicate things because “it’s how things are done”

2 Likes

I am so happy about scabbards :smiley:

2 Likes

Well lot of this rules have reasons, it’s not just how things are done, but whatever I just mentioned it. If you would read, what I wrote before I’m calling for more realism not less.

But I think this armour discussion is getting bit off topic.
Armour is in my opinion not the largest issue in current build.

I understand that my post may seem overly negative, but I’m following the game from the firs blogpost in 2011. I put lot of hope in the game and after all that years, numerous delays and cancelled features, I can’t help but to feel disappointed.
is being made sure, but there is just not enough time left.
Animations which are in my opinion largest issue of the game were improved very little in past two years, so it would be naive to expect major improvement (which is in my opinion needed) in three or two months.
I still hope Kingdom Come will be great game, I just feel it could have been so much better.

realism will forever trump “muh grungy corrodedand dirty armor” why did you even sign up for this project if you were expecting another cookie cutter non researched, non authentic, no realism fantasy medieval game where everyone wears armor dipped in mud and beaten with a sledgehammer? i’m sure armor degradation will be in and you’ll have scratches and dents AFTER it has been put through some rough use. but there’s no reason someone who hasn’t recently been in battle should have messed up armor. the scene in quesiton is perfectly reasonable, and the chainmail looks different for the same reason, it’s cleaner, like it hasn’t been used in battle.

2 Likes

There is anoter issuse, which has not been mentioned. “Discrepancy between cutscene and ingame”

The scene strarts with two soldier having only a polearm, however after the scene ends the soliders have only their sowrds. A solution is to give the models in the cutscenes swords and the models ingame their polearms as an addition (in reality soldiers did not relay on polearms only, they always had a sword as a fallback weapon)

I know exactly where you’re coming from. But I figured out a while ago now that what we all had expected or hoped for, and what we’ll actually be getting in terms of the finished product, are destined to be quite different. (whether that’s to do with the in-game features and mechanics, animation quality etc. whatever any individual following the project may have expected has the possibility to be different or not meet those expectations)

The word journey gets overused, but it really is what this like minded group of developers, artists and visionaries have gone through to get to this point. So regardless of how it may or may not live up to certain hopes or expectations, it’s still a fundamental step forward. A win for the little man and the medieval genre as a whole.

I’ve reset my expectations to remove a fair amount of emotional attachment, now I simply sit back, relax, enjoy the ride and see where we end up :smile:

7 Likes

What a great video! There are some unpolished details, but imo the biggest issue are still the dialogues which still feel unnatural in a way. There is some improvement from the alpha/beta in this regard, but I’m sad to admit I don’t still find it quite enough. Especially since the game is so conversation driven.

1 Like

Sometimes I have the feeling that the shown body language doesn’t really fit to the current dialogue.

But maybe this happens because of cultural differences.

Remember folks, they are a small team that never did such a big game before. Look at CD Projekt Red. They begun with an average game (a lot worse than KC:D showed at the latest video) and, with time and experience, get better and better in the future.

We can hope that in future games they get even further. But, for me, what they accomplished right now is far more than I’ve even seen before, everything considered. IMO, it’s amazing.

4 Likes

That’s true, however KCD is going to be compared with AAA titles whether we like it or not (just watch people on YT comparing facial anims to the latest Mass Effect iteration). The market doesn’t care much about the size of the studio.

Sometimes i have the feeling that nowadays people spend more time complaining about video games instead of playing them… It’s a general feeling, not specific to this thread.

I think that even with his flaws and bugs this game will be awesome.

1 Like

100+ people is not a small team (I know it was not that big during whole development, but development time of Kingdom Come is longer than average).

Witcher can be compared to AAA games of that time, with no problem and animations looked better than in most RPGs of that time.

1 Like

This is actually false. 4 years are quite standard for any studio, and really really good for starting studio with quite innovative concepts in many areas.

They announced development in February 2012, and game will be released in February 2018, which is almost exactly 6 years. So maybe check your facts before you start accusing someone next time.

To be clear I was not complaining that it is too long, I was just stating that it is longer than average and that it needs to be taken in consideration, when you are talking about studio size (because team was growing over time).

Well it is also well known fact, that works from 2012 to kickstarter were basically just tech demo, proof of concept and some basic ideas, all done with team of around 10-20 people. It had very little to do with actual game development, it was basically just preparation for publisher pitch (which failed) and preparation for kickstarter (which succeeded).
So yeah, technically it is already development of game, but its not like standard development, and should not be compared to it as such.

I know my facts quite well -_-