New gameplay video "The Good, the Bad and the Sneaky"

No you don’t you just can’t claim that development takes 4 years and when confronted with facts claim that part of the development doesn’t count.

It had very much to do with actual development, some of the core mechanics of the game were created during this time.

Warhorse planned to release the game in 2015. If the time you mentioned doesn’t count, that would mean that they thought that they will be able to complete the game in two year.
Do you think that people at Warhorse were so stupid that they thought they will be able to make this game in just two years?

Tobi said development is 4 years as only prototype was first made and they created game in new edited engine.

1 Like

Stupid? No?
Could they made mistake? maybe :slight_smile:
Overshoot the scope two fold? Absolutely!
Sudden change of plans and few mechanics lot more complicated than anticipated? Yop.

Official statement from WH that current game has been developed for 4 years? Yeah, got that.

Sure, game is planned much longer, some works started earlier, but the current game, current systems in current engine were all really started after kickstarter. Thats when studio started to actually grow and solve all the issues.

2 Likes

Ive repeatedly told you, that this number is very new. A year ago this number was only around 80. And when the kick starter campaign launched it was much lower than that.

So for the vast majority of development, Warhorse has been a small team.

2 Likes

That is your subjective opinion, and quite frankly a stupid one imo.

The knight above looks like he’s been rolling around in a pile of shit, and there’s large dents and scratches that could have been repaired. And any knight worth his salt would have kept his armour in top shape, considering they were elite disciplined warriors, and not to mention the armour costed a fortune.

As for your video. Half of the armour pieces are actually more symmetrical, and in better shape than their reproductions.

So your complaint boils down to absurd nitpicking. "The naisil piece, should really be tilting .00000 centimetres to the left.

1 Like

I know for someone like you, there is no difference. But for someone more interested in those things handmade things have very different aesthetics than thing made using machines.
In reality vast majority of things are not new (it was more the case in history), they are used and weathered. It is one of the reasons why most people can distinguish low budged TV movie, from high budget movie. In low budget movies everything looks new and fake because they can’t afford people to make authentic looking patina or they have borrowed costumes which they can’t damage.
If something is new it attracts attention, and if you want attracts attention to something you need the reason for it.

Sure you can call these details absurd nitpicks, but in my opinion the whole look consist of details (which all can be individually called nitpicks). Someone else may call nitpick for example if you are complaining about 12th century armour in 15th century setting.

Thaks very much but you don’t need to tell me because I know it.

What is exactly wrong in my post, that you felt the urge to lecture me?

Yes, that’s why development is taking longer than they predicted.
But you just can’t do open world RPG in 2 years (at least with their resources), if you think you can, it is just stupid and I’m quite sure that people in Warhorse are competent enough to know that, although KC is studios first game, there are people with lot of experience in game development.

Official statement from WH?
If you have in mind what @savvym is pointing out.
This Interview?:

He is saying it will be 4 years of development from the kickstarer instead of 9 months. Not that the game has been developed for 4 years.
If you really think the planned to develop practically whole game in 9 moths you know absolutely nothing about game development.
If you have some other Official statement, please point me to it.

Current game, current systems in current engine?
What game it was before Kingdom Come?
What engine it was before Cryengine 3?
You are making it look like they throw everything in to grabage after kickstarter and started over. Just look again at the kickstarter update videos and you can see how many things were already in the game.

You wrote that my statement is false, it is not.
You just misunderstood and mixed up some things and claim that “you know your facts”
So I don’t know what you are trying here, spreading misconceptions won’t help anyone.

You know that every armor does have several different visible states in the game? dirty and/or damaged? Clothes also can be bloody.

1 Like

they have historical advisers and research department, you have a stupid rule called “rusted armor piled in mud looks better because movies”, you have no credibility in terms of how armor actually should look. i trust warhorse’s judgement that armor should look decent if it’s just been cleaned and repaired, it should only look battered and dirty once it has been used for awhile or in a battle.

You haven’t read much of what I have wrote, or you have trouble understanding written text. I just love when someone pick one sentence and ignore everything other, great discussion.

No you’re just making false statements.

This should not be how armour is presented in the game, unless it’ been sitting in a muddy field for several weeks.

And there is a thing called maintenance. Which would have been done frequently with armour and weapons. Their armour was an expensive tool, that gave them status, and would save their life. They would make sure it was in excellent condition.

Furthermore if the armour gets trashed enough, or weathered, the knight in question might even just replace it.

Most movies go for the “dirty thrown together weathered” look when it comes to armour. Examples being, Vikings, Ironclad, Brave heart, Lord of the rings, Game of thrones, ect. All of these are extremely high budget ( exception being Ironclad, but it was still high budget enough to have some big names in there).

And it’s not historically accurate. Armour would have been well maintained, period.

God awful comparison.

12th Century armour would have been similar to what the Normans wore. 15th century we;re seeing full plate. Throwing tech that out of date in the game, is just a little more of an issue than a naisl piece not being .0001 centimetres to the left.

1 Like

Then why do you keep bring up the 100 people number? It’s basically irrelevant when talking about the development time, since it;s only been that large for a year.

Did they actually add quest markers in? I thought they weren’t going to, it’s like half the reason I was interested in the game, a modern RPG built around NPCs actually giving you directions and you having to follow them without the help of a giant floating arrow :frowning:

1 Like

There have always been quest markers, both on the map and in the compass bar.

They don’t always get added if the quest giver is vague about where something is, but can direct you along a route to it. (There are at least 2 main quest parts and several elements of the side quest in the beta where you have insufficient information and must follow vague guidelines, a specific set of directions or a person, and many others where this is possible even if not strictly given as a solution to a quest).

You will also note that there are two distinct types of marker. Those associated with a specific place or person, which point directly to it once you know/can see where they are, and those associated with a location or area (including finding a specific person who is unknown or who has an unknown location), which points to the area while you are outside it, and then ‘freezes’ while you have to search on your own.

Quest markers can be hidden from the journal as well if you only want to focus on a few things at once, or if you really dislike them.

(Comment based on extensive play in beta, and on the videos of recent presentations (for the ‘area’ behaviour currently in game) - I assume that unfollowing quests to hide their markers is still possible, and the verbose journal allows quests to be followed without reference to the markers most, if not all of the time)

I wonder why people are always so polarised. Everything is the BEST or the WORST ever.
Best Forrest, worst animation.
Best assets, worst faces. Ect., ect. …
For me looks everything now really good and enjoyable. If the whole game is like this,… I can´t wait for to play. :blush:

Now I have started to play Witcher3 (the first time). It looks good, but there are also many, many glitches and bad mechanics. If Witcher3 is “the best” game, KCD will be a real strong competitor.

Back to the video.
Looks like two things has no one mentioned.
If the badits rush in hurry out of Neuhof, damaging fences and gates, the pieces would be outside of the border! Now they are inside the border, in the wrong direction. And nobody has mentioned if the raiders have (their own) horses. They could only damaging the gates/stone wall so heavy, if they used horses. (Finding the place where the bandits rushed in wouldn´t help) :slight_smile:
Another immersion breaker:
After giving his bandit friend the death blow, he stand up and walks through the dead body away…
Not raiding him, not burring him/hide him
Why not loot him? “Brother you don´t need this any more.” >> If the Player only watches (easy way), less loot for him!
:wink:
The surviving bandit prays(Christian),… why not burring the dead body of his friend? Okay not easy, many animations; but it would be cool if the player comes later(too late) and there is instead of the corps a (improvisational) grave.

3 Likes

Didn’t thought about it and it seems to me you have a point here. It is hard for me to judge how the intact gate has worked. There is a difference between the gate parts. At the left part of the gate the little logs do not end at the crossbar so it seems to me this part of the gate was meant to be opened if you pull it from inside and the verticall long wooden batten at it could maybe used to open the gate if you are on horseback. For the right part of the gate I have no clue and it seems to me it could be opened in both ways.

If the fleeing bandits had have horses I would expect that those two bandits you see in the forest would also have at last one and there should be hoof prints at softer ground parts.

Yep, at last he would take the coins of his dead friend.

Maybe there should be a animation where the surviving bandit closes the eyes of his dead friend and folds the hands of the dead for a prayer but digging in the woods with no tools is very hard work. Sure he could improvise a grave stick but with all this tree roots in the ground it would take a long time and wouldn’t be done if he is in a hurry.

2 Likes

Eeeeeh, I can’t agree. If the animations are at this level on release, I’ll be disappointed.

Mmmh, okay. Which animation exactly, are not good enough for you? The NPC in general, the fight animation, the face animation, the movemaent of the forrest, the special animations, lipsync… which and why?

Looking at Witcher3, the movement of the forrest is extrem weird… compared with KCD. But overall, with all the other things, it´s okay for me (W3). But not more!

At Kickstarter I thought KCD will be a little Indigame with big ambitions, not a full price title. Warhorse started with 20 people and wanted only double the team.
The first Alphas had no voice, no face animaton, nothing… but it was fun to explore. Every new version was a little step ahead. I celabrated every news and improvement,… amazing! :slight_smile:
Now the game looks like an ambitions AA title. Maybe more. :blush:
It could be, not being 100% objectiv in this case, because after this long time, I´m too involved in this project. BUT only one thing can smash the game,… having gamebreaking bugs(crash, load save, not able to finish the main quest bugs) at release. Everthing else looks at least okay/good for me.

Back to the video:
Many NPC standing and sitting around in this place, and waiting till the player will come and ask(again)… maybe some should start to clean up/ control the fire (after he has found the bandits)…

The facial animations/lip sync. What we saw in the above video isn’t good. They’re unemotive and stiff. 1:43 you can see how the peasant who is acting pretty angry has a blank expression the whole time.

Combat animations are a bit jerky as well. Look at the animation at about 5:53, it’s very fast, and completely unnatural.

1 Like

Okay, yes. Looks like everyone notize other things and is differeent tollerant (to weired things).
What´s okay for one, is a no-go for another.

None the less, I will be happy for every progress. :slight_smile: