New gameplay video "The Good, the Bad and the Sneaky"

And to just think that a year ago people were complaining that the combat was too slow. I guess you can’t please everyone.

1 Like

It looked really slow and there was only one video showing enemy fast. They stated in later interviews that is going to be harder and faster as you improve Henry.

showing trepidation is difficult, most games opt to exaggerate it, some games have no pause, jsut instant enemy reprisal, some game have the pause but have subtle cues and animations for enemy coming to terms with what is happening. marrying this to ai skill level ie response time, quick wittedness, etc is a good idea. so i don’t mind that sometimes ai behave quickly, sometimes they are slow

The animation I pointed to is clearly not right, it looks inhuman, something a human would never or could never do. Slow or fast, just look possible.

I want to say first that I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but I heard the devs actually did speed up the combat to what it would have been like in the Middle Ages. They stated that it was too fast and the player wouldn’t have time to defend. That’s what I heard.

However, it seems likely. Most RPGs turn combat into a ballet. To actually make a game have realistic combat is still impossible at this point.

Take ArmA for example. ArmA just now got a more fluid combat system instead of a stiff soldiers firing at another. It just seems a little too far to achieve in the end. Our technology hasn’t caught up with it.

Personally, I don’t think it’s bad. Yeah, its a little jerky, but that is about it in my opinion.

I’m really not interested in apologetics over this. It is possible to have combat animations that don’t look like that. I never asked for perfect realism, I’m asking for consistency. For the animations to be consistent, and not suddenly speed up 100%. That is, possible there is no reason why not.

Please don’t act like that is unreasonable or something that hasn’t been achieved thousands of time. Animations being consistent with each other is a basic “feature”.

First of all, I’m not apologizing. I’m just saying I know where your coming from. And secondly, they said they wanted combat realism, in which they are pioneers in this subject. Finally, no game has ever shown realistic combat. Ever.

“I never asked for perfect realism, I’m asking for consistency. For the animations to be consistent, and not suddenly speed up 100%. That is, possible there is no reason why not.”

It may not be really possible, as keeping the animation speed constant would introduce huge input lag for certain moves - you would be constantly waiting for your animations to finish, greatly reducing responsivness and controlability of combat, making it in turn much more frustrating. And every sane gamer would pick responsivness over fancier animations anytime imo.

1 Like

I don’t buy that when plenty of other games have somehow managed it before. Adjust the animation so it takes less time to perform then. If it’s supposed to be realistic, but a bit slower, there’s no reason they should need one of the animations to look like a glitch.

In how many previous games you had 5 different stances with 6 different attacks all based on collision?

99 percent of meele games uses just few unconnected animations like “swing” “hard swing” “swing back”, absolutely not respecting starting stance and collision with opponent (or god forbid their swords/armors). Its NOT the same.

1 Like

If you look at the time stamp I gave, the jerky animation happed when the enemy npc was returning to his stance after being hit, I just realized it seems like you think I’m talking about the players animations (talking about input lag, etc), which I haven’t noticed any real issues with.

Now you really got me, I though you are talking about different animation. Sorry about that, you are absolutely right in this case, because in the example you mentioned it is very obvious that animations are not properly linked - it skips whole movement between “recovery” animation and “battle stance” animation - there is nothing inbetween, which looks quite bad.

I can deal with it, but it would be nice if they manage to fix that.

5 Likes

looks like typical transitional animation glitching/improper implemention. good of you to point ouy, hopefully gets fixed before retail

I have watched a short video from the German GameStar about KCD. This guy who had visit the Warhorse Studios has talked about the variable count of solutions for quests. When you are doing a mistake this could change the Result at the End of the Quest. I’m afraid that in this situation the AI is seeing more than she actually should see. I mean the situation, if Henry is walking behind a wall, but the AI in the room on the other side of the wall is notice him and the Quest goes wrong. The wall has no gaps or windows. Do understand what I want to say in my modest English?^^’

AI can´t see through walls. But that is not what Dimitry was talking about. He is talking about decisions.
For example, in the monastery, you have to find a criminal but you don´t know what he looks like and so you have to ask questions. But if you ask the wrong questions to the wrong persons, you can get into trouble.
For example, you can tell everyone, that you are not a real monk, but that you are there to investigate about a criminal. You can go directly to that criminal, and tell him about it.

2 Likes

Ok. I have misunderstood what he was meaning.^^
Thank you. In this case would like to save the game before enter any Quest area of this way. It would be annoying to replay that situation, when console is going out because of blackout and similar cases where the console turns off…