PC Retail Version and DRM

“Learning the lesson” would mean that you go offline the next time because leaving for holidays.

Not playing Steam games alltogether is just bland fatalism.

And DRM doesn’t treat customers as thiefs. That’s a common misconception but that doesn’t make it right. Platforms like Steam are made as a marketing instrument and as a service instrument. That’s their first and foremost focus. Avoiding piracy (which is also a different things than treating customers like thiefs) is only a minor focus today.

Do whatever you want. But you don’t change everything, you just miss some games for no real reason. :wink:

If customer has to “Learn the lesson” from service then something is obviously wrong. It’s the service who should learn how to serve customer not the other way around.

DRM often treats customers as potential pirates. Thats just empiric fact.

He misses games for reason which he (unlike us) consider real. I personally don’t think that its such a big deal to lost acces to some games (well i dont have steam only games) bcs of internet absence for day or two. If I can’t play game I want rigth now I have other things to do (including nonsteam games). But he has different standards and demands.

I’m refusing to buy games with perma online DRM or use Origin. I migth be missing some games (AC2) but I don’t have even time to play games I already own and want to play. :smile:

Interesting fact - you NEVER own a game you paid for. You just pay for a license to use it and that’s it. So no big deal about Steam subs agreement, it’s the same.

1 Like

I hate permanent online DRM as well. Not because I don’t have a good connection but because in most games the servers just don’t work the whole time, especially in the first few weeks after release (Sim City, Diablo 3,…). But there is a huge gap between permanent online DRM and Steam-DRM. Most people in the first world won’t even notice Steam-DRM in 99% of the time so it’s really hard to argue that it would treat customers in a bad way.

Well, you can own the copy, just like you can own a book. There is even some book-like license for software. The thing with Steam is, that if you do not agree with SSA you have to lose access to all your Steam games and they can make changes to their SSA anytime they want and if you disagree, say goodbye to all your Steam games. It is one way deal and you have the short end of the stick. Well, I prefer games where if I disagree with policy change I can still play them under the old rules.

If if if if if if if…if the sun goes down tomorrow.

Why not thinking about what fun you could have with games on Steam right now, without any probabilities and possibilities? I’m fed up with all this “what happen if” and “sometime this could happen”, fully neglecting that you can still have a lot of fun with it at the very moment. :wink:

No, you don’t own the copy. It is just as i wrote - you just paid for licence to use it. No matter if you bought game on CD/DVD or digital. And it’s almost the same with the book, you don’t own the content, just the paper.

But i get your point. Nobody can’t take your game on physical CD/DVD or a book on paper. But you can lose all stuff on Steam in a second. But just in theory, because i doubt it can ever happen. Yes, it’s in agreement, but it’s just a some kind of law and copyright insurance stuff policy, nothing to concern about too much.

I am having a lot of fun with gog games and crowdfunded DRM-free games;)

Also if I was a pirate I could have fun with Steam games even without Steam, but I have already too many games to play:) I would prefer to play Kingdom Come: Deliverance more than some of those older games if it was DRM-free, but if it is not I still have many awesome games to play. For me, it is more about supporting DRM-free software in general rather than getting another game.

Sure, I don’t doubt that there are many DRM-free games to have fun with. I own quite a lot of them myself. :wink:

But there is no excuse for piracy. DRM is surely none.

@Jedesis I don’t see them doing this. They would have to pay for bandwidth used by every person who connects to their servers and downloads the ten to sixteen gig game. It would be smarter to use a third party company that specializes in selling digital copies of games like GoG or Steam.

I pledged on KS months ago, and assumed, as the game was crowdfunded, it would obviously be DRM free.

I now realize that I was wrong.

If Steam or any other DRM crap is mandatory for digital versions, I will have to use a crack, be pissed about it, and will forever boycott this studio.

If you don’t care about unhappy users, and want to force your sponsors/players/customers to be restrained more than hackers will be, fine.
Like many scavangers games studios (hello Ubi! Hi EA!), you’ll get as bad press as we could give you, and I do hope you’ll be strong enough to survive it.

extorting the devs with tough talks. always a good way to get what you want…

1 Like

[quote=“213, post:77, topic:7481, full:true”]
extorting the devs with tough talks. always a good way to get what you want…[/quote]
Well, I do assume that if they had even a slight will to not take their customers as hostages, they would have made a statement about it already.
I’m just showing my dispite.

I read a lot of comments in this thread from people asking for valid arguments in favor of DRM-free model, and plenty were given.
I, on the other hand, never read any valid argument in favor of DRM model, and it’s because there’s absolutely none.
People enjoy Steam’s facebook-gaming, achievements, game library and other features and that’s something I can absolutely understand. A platform with this features doesn’t have to be DRMed/spywared (Gog Galaxy is the most know exemple).

The devs holding the decision untill the last moment, and untill most possible pledged money is paid, shows already that they are not even interested by decency, and yes, that alone is objectionable when you asked for crowdfunding and never mentionned DRM in the requirements to play the game

Now, they still have plenty of time to make things right and maybe they’ll do, but as for now, it’s my absolute right to feel outraged.

They were from start open that they would like to put the game as DRM free but it is not entirely up to them and the primary investor (which are not the Kickstarter backers) has main say in this.

1 Like

[quote=“masozravapalma, post:79, topic:7481, full:true”]
They were from start open that they would like to put the game as DRM free but it is not entirely up to them and the primary investor (which are not the Kickstarter backers) has main say in this.[/quote]
And the most basic decency would have to be sure of what this primary investor wants regarding to DRMs before asking for the money of people who “don’t have to decide it”.

I can’t write more than 3 replies in this thread, it seems, so i edit this one :

From what I know about the investor he probably told them when they asked: “I don’t really understand this, I will ask my marketing team around the time the game is ready to be published”

I get it, but it doesn’t make it less dishonnest toward us…

From what I know about the investor he probably told them when they asked: “I don’t really understand this, I will ask my marketing team around the time the game is ready to be published”

Don’t assume next time, get informed. And save the threats you spoiled brad.

1 Like

Man, you are ridiculous. You assumed it would be DRM free, you didn’t look for the info, which was known from the very beginning of the project, and because of your own ignorance, you call them dishonest? Should they pay you a reading class or what?

1 Like

@Vaark: I think you’re being pretty judgmental about assumed motivations of others you’ve decided you already know.

They never said anything about DRM free versions so you cannot hold that against them. On the other hand DRM-free is the typical in kickstarter backed projects and has a lot to do on consumer/backer trust (important for future kickstarter efforts). Its useless to make a point in favor of DRM-free product as already organizations like the FSF and companies like CD project have already made a point and proved it of why a DRM free culture is crucial in software and why DRM does not actually achieve anything besides supporting cooperate interests inspite the quality of the actual product given to the public. I would be really happy to see a DRM-free version of the game especially for the Linux version as it culturally suits the Linux user base.