Please, give us option to play WITHOUT quest markers

Hello guys,
I don’t know if this was addressed before, but anyway it is important, at least for me.
Personally, I don’t like quest markers in-game. They are too arcade IMHO and make the game too easy. Playing without quest markers is a lot more demanding, but also a lot more rewarding - you have to listen carefully to dialogs, read your quest log and think your way. Better than just follow some arrow on the compass, is that right?
To have a game work without quest markers, the devs should develop the whole thing with no quest markers from the beginning. Quests must be logically made, with clear explanations what to do and where to go. I’m sure @warhorse will make the best of the quest system, so please consider things from the start and let us (whoever wish) play without quest markers. If anybody wants to use them anyway, give him the option to turn them on from the options.
It is a lot easier to show some arrow on the compass than to deal with nonsense if you decide to remove quest markers with some mod from an arcadish game (Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout…). For example Morrowind doesn’t have quest markers and the quests were written with this in mind. The game is completely playable without any markers and I may say that it is the most rewarding Elder Scroll game out there.
What I mean is that if @warhorse makes Deliverance playable without quest markers, this will be best for us hardcore gamers. A softcore gamer could always turn markers on later, if needed. Everyone is happy, so it is a win-win situation.
Thank you!

32 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I play Skyrim without a compass and for the most part no HUD at all (contextual minimal setup, using a few mods together to achieve what I want).

It’s much, much better that way IMO. A far more immersive and satisfying experience. That huge compass at the top of the screen is really distracting and serves as a constant reminder that I’m ‘just playing a game.’

3 Likes

Well, there was voting about killing important NPC’s and the option with hardcore mode, where is no turning back if you kill someone from the story, clearly won. So it should be part of the hardcore mode.

Good point here, i hope the quest design will be enough detailed to allow us to play without catching the arrow.
I also hope that mechanism will be implemented (pnc inquiry for exemple) to help us to investigate and solve the quest.
daggerfall was not bad on this point

Agreed. I liked that I could turn-off most of the HUD elements in DX:HR.

Devs need to put more effort to dialogues if there are no quest marks though, it should be clear from the dialogue where you are supposed to go and it can be challenge for people who need to translate everything in the game so it should be optional imho.

I hate these HUD elements especially if I want to make screenshots (e.g. to use them as the background on my desktop).

Blindly following a magic marker hovering above your target because finding it by simply thinking is too much for the average attention span of a potato user, which is comparable to a 12 year old boy, mostly because…
… they are 12 year old boys :wink:

Bare mimimum HUD and proper quest logs please :sunny:
Take a look at “better quest objectives” and “Immersive HUD” for TESV, they do it just right.

There are games where I have enjoyed not having a quest marker a lot like gothic 1, 2 but I think it depends on how open and how serious the world is. I can’t always take skyrim serious enough to bother with remembering where to go and who to talk to. And I remember gothic 3 being very messy at times but quest markers still wouldn’t have fit in at all. Overall I think KCD will be the kind of game where I would rather alt tab to a wiki or open a log book than have a quest marker.

I would rather not have various options all tied into using one mode or another. They should be selectable as individual options, which will better allow people to customize how they play.

2 Likes

Indeed a medieval peasant (or a dovakhin) hopping around with a GPS feels a bit out of place.

1 Like

I would like this as an option, but I wouldn’t want it tied into the mode, I would like it better if it was an option that I could turn on & off.

1 Like

watch the movie, they have no quest markers. you do have a map where it’s marked, however. that’s a safety net in case people get stumped and can’t progress.

There are quest markers currently, watch the live stream on youtube

@Joruto

Yeah, there’s also a rather large compass… I really hope to be able to get rid of both, and not via a console command mind you ;).

I do have an issue with large, solid, ‘permanently on’ HUDs. I’d like to be running round most of the time with no HUD at all; ideally there will be no/little real need for a compass (use the map, more realistic + more fun) and I hope that the bottom graphic (health/stamina?) will have a smaller, simpler version and be context sensitive. If nothing changes before the alpha build we get I’ll certainly be making some mockups along those lines any way ;).

1 Like

I agree with this!
Having more options on how to “configure” your game in the sense of HUD, questmarkers and such would be nice. Then everyone can have the game how they want it.
I prefer to play without questmarkers, but sometimes in games like Skyrim it can be quite good to have them (since I always tend to have 5-10 quests active at the same time).

I’d rather have hand-drawn maps or some small notes describing where I have to go or with whom I have to talk to. Also you could ask the people for the directions to the quest location and either they know it or they don’t. I liked that about the old point and click adventures, where you have been told what to do and you could always ask the person who gave you the task for directions and what actions to take. You had no journal, no notes or anything, just socializing because of lost memory. Nowadays you have journals or the character repeats in a monologue what needs to be done.

If you want to include a quest log (because of the huge amount of quests you can have), you can still leave out all the quest markers. For the compass it would be nice to use the sun and the stars as directions or use a real compass (or any equivalent of that time) as usable item to get rid of some HUD.

1 Like

Option without HUD would be fine. Players only need the life/stamina bar (it could be hidden most of time, and appearring only when used - in combat situation, when crafting…etc.).

In this period, people uses sun and geographic point to be located (rivers, roads, hills, woods or mountain, etc…). The possibility to hide compass and quest markers should be great option…And why not only create a simplified hand-drawn map on which would appear some approximate circles or markers when player obtain informations for his job/quest activate at the moment ?

1 Like

Problem with doing that in TES 4-5 is that the quests has zero explanation of where you should go. In other games it might say kill dude x at position y and still have a quest marker for you. TES 4-5 threw that out the window with 3 words in the quest info “Kill guy X” with no more explanation, making it almost completely necessary to use them :confused:

I agree, we need a hardcore medieval butchery. Without quests markers it will be much more fun.

1 Like

There is a certain appeal to the idea of having a map you use more as a real map instead of just a thing that shows where everything is with an automatic path highlighted when you get a quest.

I mean this in the sense of having an idea of where you need to go and knowing the destination because you’re (presumably) familiar with the area as a character, but you may still need to physically open up your map from time to time and determine which way to go based on visible landmarks and things like that.

I really liked the hand-drawn style of the map we did see in (I think) the livestream video. It has a lot of potential.

3 Likes

Keep in mind the HUD is not final and many things might change. In fact, this is over a year old version.