Poll: What should be our next stretch goal? What about 3rd person camera?

Yes, sorry, “First person only” not “Singleplayer only”

But the root of the promise–and for those wanting the promise kept–is in making sure resources are allocated to first person, and not siphoned away to a third person implementation.

So the promise is a moot point for both sides if it’s not going to take away from anything first person.

This is why those who are adamant that it not be implemented are selfish assholes. Fuck em all. :smile:

1 Like

This whole argument here is an utter joke, made on people who are oblivious to its point and determined to keep themselves that way. They want to keep the illusion that something isn’t there simply because they can’t see it.

There will be a 3rd person view in the game. No matter what.
Warhorse effectively will include 3rd person in KCD. It would probably take more work to actually not have it implemented at all, since it’s a default function right within the CryEngine.
The only actual difference is whether there will also be a plain obvious keybinding option for it in the game’s Controls section! :slight_smile:

Which probably wouldn’t take more than a day or two to figure out as a modification for someone who knows CryEngine well enough, just to have it readily accessible on a button without the need of console commands.
And that’s it. All you need to have your KCD in 3rd person. Sodoma, Gomora!

The dev 3rd person might turn out to be somewhat unpolished and unoptimized in some details, but I doubt that modding community won’t do a quick job about those even if nobody else does. Knowing how active they can be, I wouldn’t be surprised if we had a working 3rdP mod already during the Beta stage.
Just to show how “much” of a development problem it really would be.

KCD has so many things about it to work out that adjusting the defalt 3rdP could probably get lost like a bucket of water in ocean.

Yes, and one more thing:

This is completely ridiculous. Once again someone claims to speak for “the people” like if he somehow knew they all have exactly the same opinion as him.

There are now over 50K people who supported KCD.
How many of them are actually following the game all to the point of actively watching the forums and participating in the discussions? Most discussions here universally attract few dozens of people at any time, the more popular ones bring few hundreds to participate in a poll. This, one of the very hottest discussed topics here managed to gather some pretty outstanding 1300 backers to vote as of now.

The apparent maximum of the most dedicated fans and followers of this project that do really care about it and are more invested to it than to just make a do with the regular updates.
And out of these 1300 people, 27 % do want 3rdP, 35 % have no problem with it, 8 % don’t care either way and 29 % are against it.
Some 70,5 % : 29,5 % of people that actually care enough about the game to come and voice their opinion. These are the people who answered the poll.

If you look back at how KCD has been promoted and assess how much emphasis has been being put on its most prominent features - it’s first and foremost a realistic (in approach), historical (in subject matter) RPG (in the type of gameplay mechanics).
In this succession of features that “make” the game the actual player perspective the game would use is probably the least universally important and the most individual matter of preference - the actual matter of player perspective is effectively only being widely discussed (and argued about) on this forum, in this thread (and previously few others) by only some 200 most active people.

There are tons of both 1stP, or 3rdP games you could choose from. There are lots of RPGs. There are fewer historical games. There are only very few realistic and authentic historical games.
This is the actual scale of importance here. Arguing dragons next to the player perspective is ludicrous and desperately out of argument.

I myself personally supported the game with little regard to what particular player perspective will be there - I appreciate both (being one of those 35 %, the actual majority in this argument) and would be glad to have them, since each has its use and importance, especially if the developers would go ahead, emphasize on it and reasonably flesh out their individual strengths and uses for the gameplay - which still means giving MORE EMPHASIS to the 1st person for the most direct interactions with the game world!

Plus - since the beginning, the game was both promoted with words about being aimed at 1st person and lots of screenshots and graphics actually made in 3rd person. And extensive cinematic content (+ dialogues) was also always a part of the plan. :wink:

So how much of a PURE and PRISTINE 1st person was this game actually ever “meant” to be, eh? And how much of it is just an aggressive blackmail-like individual wishful thinking?

I think I can see the answer pretty much everywhere I look. How about you, guys?

4 Likes

Dan, I truly could not agree more. After having played the alpha (and sadly actually found the combat quite dizzying and hard to control) I really feel this to be a very important feature lacking in the build. You guys have done some amazing work, and the combat system as a game system is great, but for me the first person view really holds back the players experience (at least in my experience). A big reason first person can succeed in shooters yet struggles greatly because firing a weapon really only utilizes a person’s sense of sight. The aiming of the weapon and the view of the player are (in theory) perfectly synchronized, however when in combat (I have been an active HEMA competitor for a few years now) there is much more at stake in a melee. You utilize far more than just sight (not to mention our peripheral vision is much more powerful than most people understand), You have a sense of spacial (Sp?) awareness, a sense of balance, you can feel how you hold the sword, how your character moves and dodges. Half the time I have no idea what action my character is carrying out (I feel frustratingly out of control of the person I’m intended to control). I like that you guys have limited the player’s character input(i.e. not allowing people to button mash and over ride actions once acted), however the small visual and audio cues make it very hard to develop a sense of rhythm and positioning (both important skills in combat). Simply seeing your character be hit and how he’s hit helps to supplement the lack of ability to “feel” being hit, or know that you’re off balance. As of right now I’m aware that I’m off balance or knocked back by a blow by a blurred motion of the screen. Again, I am an avid fan and a happy supporter of what you guys are doing for this gaming community. I commend you for all your hard work and efforts. In my honest opinion, as ideally your intended audience, I would be very happy to at least have a working 3rd person view (I would be perfectly content with it still being optimized for the 1pv). At the end of the day, it’s a game and as important as realism, the point of a game is to play and enjoy and I know myself (and quite a few others) would enjoy a 3PV.

P.S. I’m sure you could do a 1PV lock for all the hardcore tuffguys.

2 Likes

Fantastic post dongvader, and I agree with you 100%. This game would benefit immensely from third person view.

@dongvader

I can’t think of a more perfect argument supporting a 3rd person camera than this.

I liken it to the presence or lack of range icons in air combat simulators: People argue that having range icons is unrealistic, because real life pilots don’t have handy numbers floating over other aircraft to indicate their range, type, and whether they’re closing or opening. They ignore the fact that if you were to take the resolution of the average computer monitor and extrapolate that to real-life visual acuity, you’d be talking about a pilot who is LEGALLY BLIND. Those counters are there to compensate for limitations in the simulation that would NOT be present in real life. In real life, you could easily tell the difference between a B-17 and a P-51 at 6000 yards. You could even distinguish between a B-17 and a B-24; both large, four-engine bombers but with distinct silhouettes. On the sort of hardware most players have access to, however, both aircraft would just be represented by an indistinct little black dot at that range. There’s also a complete lack of depth perception, preventing you from estimating whether that little black dot is flying towards or away from you, and how quickly that distance is changing. Again, not so in real life.

It’s a necessary break from reality to compensate for the limitations of the system, just as a third person camera would be in this case.

Honestly, I think it’s a bit of a moot argument, however. A working 3rd person camera is probably going to be one of, if not THE, first mods the community releases, anyway.

The goal of this game is to find a unconvential way. The devs want not that players choice between the lack of immersion and the benefit of more playable cam (third person) or a way with more immersion and the problems you describe (first person). They wanted to create a immersive view without the problems you describe. That uniqe game should be a revolution in melee combat. We have to believe that this solution is possible. For all players who wanted a third person, it should be possible to make this via mod within few days. The devs always suugerate KC:D as a innovative fps game. For that reason I can not imagine the devs would change such an core feature.Look at the poll how many peoble are against it. I dont know why the peoble hate the option of a 3ps view

Maybe they are scared that the game will be more and more optimzed for the more simple 3pv in the next acts. Imagine if in few months there will be more 3p gamer and half of supporter would playing 3pv and half playing 1pv. If then there would be issues with the first person view it would be half important than before. Just half of the player would wanted to solve it. If there would a graphic bug which everyone see it would be more important. The focus would change more and more. And a more simple 3p ca woud be very profitable.

A early backer could see that as a scam.

The devs should respect it. 33 percent dont want it 33 would not use it (as a result they would maybe think its a waste of money or time)8 persons dont know. I think there are also many peoble who just want to see their character or want to make screenshots. The guys who want a 3pv agreed the fpv when they supported it. And they was fine with it because WH called it all the time as a fps game. As you can see the devs have no easy choice.

Why are so many shooting games in first person? because it is more natural and better to play. Its not my opionion, the most people play and prefer it. But first person in shooting games is more simple than a melee combat.

The most melee games with swords and that stuff dont use fpv. I think because it is very hard to eliminate the points you describe. Most devs go the more simple economic way (third person view) or offer a fpv which isnt optimized(fpv and 3pv). Just few focused on fpv.

Not Warhorse.

I hope the devs are able to convince all players, from their vision of a high immersive gaming expierence. Without motion sickness or orientation issues. The fpv in KC:D isnt perfect but maybe it is neccasary to focus on that to earn it.

I’m getting this game for Xbox One and PC, but for those who are only getting it for console, they probably will not have any benefit of mods. I believe Fall Out 4 may be the only console game that supports mods.

I think it should have the option for 3rd person. During traveling and walking around and whatnot I would love to see my armor, character I created, etc.

Why are you against a third-person camera/view (TPC or TPV)?

1. I’m afraid that it will take from the developers’ time and/or resources allocated to making other stuff in the game, like optimizing the First-Person View.

2. I’m afraid that my friends won’t have the same experience as I do if they are able to change the camera perspective. It will be like a different game. (And if all or most of my friends will play the game in TP mode, I will feel left out.)

3. I’m afraid that my friends will “cheat” and use the TPV to peek around corners and look behind the character during combat, hunting and/or while sneaking around – my struggle with the FPV will then seem futile/make-believe.

4. I’m afraid that I won’t resist the temptation to peek around corners and look behind the character during battles/hunting/spying, using the TPC. I really want to play this game in FP mode.

5. Gee, I don’t know. I’ve never really thought about it. Reflex?

(Note: This was originally posted as a separate topic. Twice.)

Honestly even if they don’t add it itll probably be one of the first mods so I wouldn’t be too concerned.

I wouldn’t be against them natively supporting an over-shoulder view though:

Yes, old topic, (and I only read the first 400!), scanning the rest, but I thought it must be said, as I did not see it anywhere.

I’m sure I am not the only one who supported this game (from a very early time on KS), in spite of the fact that it was a first person game. I was actually quite excited when I first heard about the game, but also disappointed when I went to KS and found it would be FPV. Even though I disliked that idea intensely, I still saw enough good in the game to take a chance, and I am glad I did.

Actually, I see the rejection of an option as was done here by some, probably harmed the very company they pledged to help, given that TPV would have cost nearly nothing to implement, and would have raised much additional (and I am sure much-needed) cash for WH. I know I would have donated to see TPV added, but there is not a snowball’s chance in Phoenix that I will ever vote for or support things like multiplayer or co-op play.

There are always some who want to force their way on others, and in a single player game that is nothing short of asinine. I would not use TPV a majority of the time, but I am reasonable enough to see that it would not hurt a single thing. Yes, it could be “modded” into the game, but as many mods cause problems and are not always well supported, as well as not updated in a timely manner after patches or new releases, I prefer not to depend on them.

Late to the rodeo, I know, but there are my 2 coppers.

4 Likes

Lets have a look at another approach: 3rd person witcher 3 modded for 1st person view :slight_smile:
Looks really great in my opinion, even tho little bit too chaotic :smiley:

2 Likes

wow, it looks pretty darn good.

Fighting is pretty confusing though.

personally, my first thought was that i would hate first person because i usually do (though i usually play on consoles and first person on consoles is more akin to driving a forklift than any kind of maneuvering) but i played it and i couldn’t imagine it in any other perspective, i love the first person view.

however, i WOULD like some mirrors…or reflections in water or somesuch so i can see myself doing cool things, or the ability to record something you are doing (or save the last x minutes for replay) and have THAT be in third person…so after i narrowly sidestep that arrow and plant my sword in the archer’s chest…i can immortalize that moment.

1 Like

Lol, I got nausea after watching 20 sec. of these Witcher videos… or maybe even less. Definitely not a way to go for KC:D.

1 Like

Doesn’t detract from those who want 1st person? First person can be a pain and nauseating sometimes.

1 Like

There’s a whole thread that has a lengthy discussion about this.

Bottom line is, the vast majority of people want third person OR don’t care that it’s implemented.

@Hellboy even said himself that implementing third person would not take away from anything related to first person. So all the whiners that had arguments against first person rooted in their fear that third person implementation would make the first person implementation “less complete” no longer have an argument. Moot point entirely.

So basically, then, it comes down to being selfish.

I already bought the full game and plan to play it no matter what, but I would prefer to play the game on console, so I cannot rely on the mod community to implement third person. Also, no offense to the mod community, but I would rather play third person as the devs envisioned it. So I hope that it is something that Warhose is still considering.

Options don’t hurt anyone. They just allow appeal to a wider base. Wider base = more money.

3 Likes

There is already a thread for this, is it really that hard to use the search option?

click here