Random armor fitting to you

So i was reading through some of the armor threads and noticed people were talking about how armor from a random person you killed shouldn’t just fit you perfectly. I’m reminded of a mod for fallout 3 that required you to fit power armor to you before you could wear it.
So does anyone else think that this should be a feature in KC:D?

2 Likes

I think it is nice idea.
But problem of it is that it could became one of those annoying things player just must do without any meaning than it being more realistic.
You know situations like “geez, i have to do this again!”

Not everyone enjoys this reality feeling.
It could be toogle feature, but then, why even do it?

Well it wouldn’t be that hard just to take your armor to the black smith and have it fitted to you. Since Henry is a blacksmith you could probably even do it yourself. It could even be a part of the black smith mini game.

5 Likes

But this would lead to situations like:

You already have plate armor
You are in the middle of a quest
Killing some bandits. One of them has better armor than yours. But it does not fit you.

Now what:

• you put the new armor into your inventory for later? Doesn’t sound much realistic to me.
  • you can bring it imediatelly to black smith or find a blacksmithing station to do it yourself.
  • or you can stash it somewhere and come back fro it later (most realistic solution)

either way you have to deal with solution of having two pieces of armor with you in the same time.
In reality you cloud wear one and another one carry. But I don’t think that this option wil lbe avalible in the game.

So adjusting armor to fit you is more realistic, but could lead to situations which could be even more unrealistic.

But I am not dead set against it.

1 Like

It’s been confirmed that you can store things on your horse. Just place the armor in your horses inventory .

1 Like

Also I wouldn’t truly mind if the only… well, not at all only, but mostly worthwhile things to loot off of a corpse are money and jewelry. I would be surprised if you regularly have the opportunity to kill someone on the road in full plate; so fitting the armor would not be an issue as long as armor actually has some value and you don’t replace it in every half an hour.

1 Like

@TobiTobsen do you possibly know if you will have to fit armor to you?

One of the devs told me some loooong time ago.

4 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation, i’m really glad they are adding this feature.

Liking your train of thought here @ProkyBrambora

This… appeals to me :smile:

So you agree the armor should have to be rebuilt to fit Henry?

1 Like

Well based on what @YuusouAmazing has quoted above, looks like the WH Team plan to implement this type of restriction into the game.

And I agree in principle. Although situations might arise in reality where armour repair and / or structural modification might not actually be required or necessary. But how do you find a good balance?

To implement that into any game would be difficult to say the least, so I think that by enforcing a repair and adjustment mechanic prior to the armour becoming wearable *regardless, is the most simple way to ensure it maintains some sense of realism… You’d be crazy to think that you could just loot some random guys armour and go off into battle. Chances are, doing so would more than likely work against you… restricting your movement if ill-fitted and small, or not offering enough protection if too large and cumbersome.

Thoughts?

Works perfectly. However, we must remember all the pieces of armor in the Dark Ages are made for average sized people so anybody could wear it. But obviously if the armor is better fitted to you, it’d be less cumbersome and easier to move in.

On another note, even if the armor doesn’t fit right, there is so much beneath a cuirass that it’d be almost impossible for it not to fit (unless you’re King Robert from Game of Thrones.) There’s your clothes, than a jupon/gambeson, and on top of that a chainmail haulberk. Lastly would be the plate, and by that time the armor would fit with all the extra padding beneath.

There’s a difference in the thickness of the gambeson worn under plate vs. worn under mail. The former would be much thinner and made of only a few layers (my own gambeson is based on a pattern c.1405, made of four layers of linen and is maybe half an inch thick).

Also, by Kingdom Come’s setting you normally would not wear a full hauberk under plate armor, except for older suits that might still be floating around (but keep in mind; armor was a BIG part of fashion in Europe, and a nobleman or knight wouldn’t be caught DEAD wearing an outdated suit of armor). You don’t have the full Gothic-style plate yet, but by this period mail would be increasingly used to cover only the major gaps.

2 Likes

That seems about right for the game’s era,even though it’s from the 12th Century (1300’s.)

Or this, although it is 23 years after the game’s setting, it could be within the realm of historically accurate, whereas this…

As much as I love sallets and gothic armor, this did not appear till the 16th Century (1500’s)

3 Likes

that 1390 illustration is closest to henry’s time, and looks better imo.

Yea that circa 1390’s depiction looks pretty close to what we’re expecting in KCD.

Very cool :smile:

1 Like

Nice post.
But what could we expect from common fighter?
Bandits and such which we will surely encounter?

I do not think that common bandits would go mugging knights unless they had some advantage.
In that light would we even had chance fighting off bandits?

In the end it might be better if bandits would be also well armored as they would fight more fairly without using dirty tricks and so giving a player better chance to win.

It makes sense not only when it comes to armor, but to clothes generally.

Imagine Henry killing innkeeper and putting on HER bloodied clothes and walking around the village like a macabre drag queen.

I sure as hell hope that (1) @warhorse will make the clothes kind of tight for Henry and that (2) they already have a proper behavioral tree for the NPCs in case they come upon a bloodied drag queen in their village :smile:

Kinda yes and kinda yes… we are working on it…kinda!! :slight_smile: