Realistic archery

Wow! this is a lot of realism, Is difficult to create textures with different physical properties. But it could be simplified and made ​​to hit the wood and grass tip doesn’t fall, and if you hit a armor or rocks the tips fall, and no more…

This was one reason the likes of the Mongols wore loose fitting silk shirts as it would wrap the point of the arrow and make it easier to pull the arrow out the way it went in, also helping mitigate the effect of the barbs when pulling the arrow out.

1 Like

So did you archery people like how it worked in Tomb Raider? I never played it so I don’t know, but from what I saw it looked like it might be slightly better then a lot of systems have done.

Don’t know, never played it.
Kinda went: Defender of the Crown (Amiga) - no Archery, (…Long Gap…), Crysis 3 archery was very simplistic and the bow was VERY powerful, Skyrim Archery is ok but there are mods that can make it more realistic.

I think Oblivion archery was better than Skyrim, at least there, if your target was far away you had to aim somewhat above your target because the arrow would lose hight. In Skyrim it seems the game does the compensating for you.

i mean there’s not a whole lot of ways to do archery. tomb raider’s a joke so it would be funny if they got that aspect right.

I’m gonna have to disagree with you on some of these propositions, sir.

While I like the idea of a pressure bar, #2 and to some extent #4 are not true. I practice archery, and depending on your skill, strength (very important), timing, draw weight, etc there is no “Stabilize breath”. Bows are not guns, but if either should have a shaky-ness to it, it would be bows becuase you are pulling the draw weight. But this does not mean that one starts shaking instantly after drawing to his/her nock point.

If it were to happen at all, it would be after holding the bow string for too long or after firing shot after shot, therefore tiring out the archer. But if we’re talking about a medieval archer, who would have to start training at a young age in order to be any good by the time he could join the army, this wouldn’t happen that often unless other factors were considered.

When you are shooting for real a lot of your aiming is actually done with your foot positioning and your hips rather than your arms. And you know if you are at full draw by feel or putting your fingers in to a spot on your face. So maybe a tension bar or something similar is warranted because you get no feedback from a mouse. Crosshairs could go either way. A lot of archers shoot by gap aiming which is looking at how much space above the arrow the target is. Which is fine for shooting roughly level but not something you can do for clout shooting. You might need a crosshair or something for that.

(Sry for my english)

2- Well, I don’t know how you draw the bow and what kind of them do you use, but at least with traditional low poundage bows(30-40p) , you need to control very well your breath to aim at long distances or to not quick shoot. I’m not saying that is the same method for the guns, I just put the example of a FPS.

3- This is not fantasy, of course that the bow’s power, the type of arrow and the archer is determinant on how to calculate the drop curve but I remember you now that they aren’t guns, you can’t aim in beeline.

4- This is true too, maybe not at a Parkinson level as in the most of games, but if you pull too much time, you will suffer shakiness. And no matter how strong you are, a 150p bow will shake your body if you pull it for too long.

Anyway, I put some feasible ideas to translate the reality into the game without being too much simulator, and also not being casual as all the other games in the market.

If you have better ideas write them, is the only manner that @Warhorse can hear our demands and our wishes.

Shooting quickly and accurately can be done (at a high skill level I suppose) look at what this guy does.
Fast archery

I wish I could do this.

1 Like

Yeah, really impressive. There are amazing persons out there, but this technique is useless at long range targets.

You’ve kind of answered this point with #2, but with medieval archery – I’m talking about #4 here – the bow should never be at the archer’s limit of draw weight.

Of course a 150p bow will make you shake, but the thing is, if an archer is using a bow of his/her maximum draw weight, the archer might be able to get off one or two shots at most, and that’s it, he/she’s spent. But what about the other 20+ arrows in his/her quiver? If the archer is using a bow that’s too strong, and therefore can only fire two shots at most, he/she is counter intuitive and is no longer of use on the battlefield.

This is why an archer should never use a bow remotely close to his/her draw weight limit. It would tire him/her out.

So, as an example, if an archer’s draw weight limit were 150 pounds, he/she might want to use an 80 pound bow, maybe 90 or 100 if he/she is feeling bold, but the archer needs to fire multiple shots during combat in order to be effective on the battlefield, and using a 150 pound bow just wouldn’t make sense.

Sorry if you already knew this, just thought I’d bring it up in case you didn’t and for the people who weren’t aware of it.

I love that movie, the cat-mouse chase is intense and awesome.

He seemed to have a rather nice grouping shooting 69 meters. I know longer ranges are possible, but I wouldn’t call this useless at long range. You might want to take your time trying to hit someone at that range with more certainty, but when shooting into an advancing army I think it’s pretty neat. Still the man is exceptional, not every decent archer in the game needs to be able to do that. Things are not necessarily realistic for a blacksmith to do in a game because one man in the world can do that now.

I agree with you here, and it should also be taken into account, that you cant really hold a medieval longbow drawn for an infinite amount of time, because it might just break under the force.

And regarding aiming, the heavy-draw warbows were mostly not shot in any precise way, large groups of archers were used to create a hail of arrows on the opponent.
When it was necessary to aim, i.e. while hunting, bows with much lighter draw weights were used.

Well guys I hope you read this, maybe i´ll try to write you personally too. I´m member of CSWBS, couple of people from czech republic and slovakia, we reenact war archery, which includes shooting bows over 100#, making arrows and other stuff, trying fire arrows, penetrating armors and etc. So we will be more than happy to share our knowledge with you, so the archery in game is as authenthic as possible, because the way how you draw high poundage bow is way different from modern archery.

2 Likes

He is using a modern bow that is no way near 100+ pound. So this is really not relevant.

because you think that in the middle ages people only used bows over 100 pound? sorry mate. the really heavy bows probably were an exception only used by professional archers. Our main character starts out as a blacksmith.
His bow may be modern, it’s also pretty simple, so might be closer to the old bows than what you see in modern day archery.

That’s nice, maybe the devs could use you guys for mocapping archers.

But a 35pund bow will not have the range needed for battle or the same chance of going thought armor. And will cause less damage to the target.
And yes, the 138 bows found on the Mary Rose have bin estimated to be 100+pounds.
(take a look in: Strickland, Matthew & Robert Hardy: The Great Warbow: From Hastings to the Mary Rose.
Gloucestershire. 2005.)

Also note that there is no clear evidence of the use of any sort of wood shortbow in western Europe.
But there are archaeological evidence of the use of a “longbow” in from 4000bc, 5-600th century AD (bog finds), 1000AD in Hedeby and offcause from the Mary Rose that went down in 1545.