Realistic archery

Damn, I’m a moron. I was mentioning speed, I meant to mention force. Baseball travelling 90mph (at 5 oz) has a kinetic energy (KE) of about 120J on the higher end, whereas an arrow traveling at 66 meters per second (147 MPH) with a weight of 1000 grains (2.28 oz and again, not the heaviest to be had) has a KE of about 140J. I’ve never been hit with a 90mph baseball, but even with a helm on, I’d bet it would stagger me, and during a full gallop, might be enough to have me fall of my horse. Not much will lift me off my horse short of a scorpion bolt or a TNT explosion, but a barrage of super charged baseballs certainly won’t help.

Reference for calculations: http://www.currentmiddleages.org/artsci/docs/Champ_Bane_Archery-Testing.pdf
I adjusted some values, i.e. using a full draw length (~30 in) and 150lb draw strength, which wasn’t the strongest you could find in those years. I also used initial velocity, which would pare down during flight, which is why I tried to use the lower end of values to quickly make up for this.

2 Likes

I don’t like using wikipedia, but go to the last part of the article.“Misconceptions about recoil”

I’m not saying that there’s enough recoil to knock you off your horse. But it is feasible to be jarred by an arrow enough to where you may fall off your horse. I brought in the baseball to show a referential force.

Although I definitely agree with this, they really shouldn’t make it too hard. Arrow trajectory from gravity should be in there, dynamic crosshair, shakiness etc. However, it’s still an RPG, not a simulator. Suggestions such as “no crosshairs” I believe shouldn’t be included. Although I would find it really cool if you could disable the crosshairs, and instead have some kind of a reference point on the bow (such as a short twig or mark on the bow to use as reference) so you could still have some idea of where your arrow will head.

Archery should really be put thought into, that’s for sure.

no. the saddle is designed so that the knight won’t just fall off as illustrated by cheescake already. cavalry also has stability with stirrups. unless the arrow penetrates, it will just deflect off the armor, it would feel like nothing at all.

Only ever been hit with a broad head arrow once, and the person will never do it again… seriously tho, my brother shot me in the leg with a broadhead and luckily it did not go in far or do any lasting damage.

However, I have been hit in the chest by a partridge when riding my motorbike, I was doing about 140km/h and I didn’t ask the partridge how fast it was going… it nearly put me off the back of the bike and it took a couple of seconds to regain my composure, I did however have a beauty of a bruise on my chest

1 Like

As I’ve never been hit with an arrow while in full plate or on a horse, I guess I have no idea. I doubt it would feel like nothing at all. A glancing blow from a bullet probably doesn’t feel like nothing.

Many videos I’ve seen show that though the arrow doesn’t fully penetrate, it does dent and leave dings and they sure don’t look like they would just dink off and leave me 100%.

But enough arguing. More in terms with the topic, I wonder if plate will be impenetrable to the arrow, but a hit to the armpit or inner thigh (where the armor is least). Seems like a lot of coding and specifics

1 Like

Does anyone know if there will crossbow?

I liked the archery in Skyrim. But I’m also for the if I hit you in the leg you have to stop running toward me, or pieces of armor falling off. We cannot have every little detail in the game.

Though you might have received many replys by now… The first game where Ar(t)chery (haha) was kind of skillful to use was War of the Roses. Most of the others (Mount & Blade, too, up to some account - in my opinion) had archery as you described "target under crosshair = almost auto-hit)…

So… I somehow share your hopes and fear, for this winter’s time was rather short over here (which is sad, I like winter…). But thus, at least, I can take my bow for a walk way earlier this year :smiley:
… getting frozen fingers is not quite nice for archery… getting drozen fingers with kind of blood blisters or similar bruises… is even less fun… :smiley:

Edit: Yes it will. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! I didn’t remember this. Thanks you!

I do hope archery is well done in this game. It is true you don’t need a crosshair in order to shoot right in a game with some practice. It would be nice to have some degree of realism.

For the people wanting to retrieve their arrows, you should be able to somewhat. In the middle ages arrow tips were often not glued to the shafts, The metal tip fit over the wooden shaft quite snugly so it did not fall off, but when you got shot and tried to pull the arrow out, the tip stayed in the wound. The only way to get the whole arrow out of a body was to push it through entirely. Pretty gruesome if you ask me.
So while you might retrieve your shaft quite easily if you hit something, you would have to replace the tip.

2 Likes

Wow! this is a lot of realism, Is difficult to create textures with different physical properties. But it could be simplified and made ​​to hit the wood and grass tip doesn’t fall, and if you hit a armor or rocks the tips fall, and no more…

This was one reason the likes of the Mongols wore loose fitting silk shirts as it would wrap the point of the arrow and make it easier to pull the arrow out the way it went in, also helping mitigate the effect of the barbs when pulling the arrow out.

1 Like

So did you archery people like how it worked in Tomb Raider? I never played it so I don’t know, but from what I saw it looked like it might be slightly better then a lot of systems have done.

Don’t know, never played it.
Kinda went: Defender of the Crown (Amiga) - no Archery, (…Long Gap…), Crysis 3 archery was very simplistic and the bow was VERY powerful, Skyrim Archery is ok but there are mods that can make it more realistic.

I think Oblivion archery was better than Skyrim, at least there, if your target was far away you had to aim somewhat above your target because the arrow would lose hight. In Skyrim it seems the game does the compensating for you.

i mean there’s not a whole lot of ways to do archery. tomb raider’s a joke so it would be funny if they got that aspect right.

I’m gonna have to disagree with you on some of these propositions, sir.

While I like the idea of a pressure bar, #2 and to some extent #4 are not true. I practice archery, and depending on your skill, strength (very important), timing, draw weight, etc there is no “Stabilize breath”. Bows are not guns, but if either should have a shaky-ness to it, it would be bows becuase you are pulling the draw weight. But this does not mean that one starts shaking instantly after drawing to his/her nock point.

If it were to happen at all, it would be after holding the bow string for too long or after firing shot after shot, therefore tiring out the archer. But if we’re talking about a medieval archer, who would have to start training at a young age in order to be any good by the time he could join the army, this wouldn’t happen that often unless other factors were considered.