Realistic Plate Armor: Force players to use different tactics!

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii298/eddie-haskell/fatarmor.jpg

As I was looking around on the internet, I stumbled upon a new International sport called. “Armored Combat League” Basically, it is Rugby/American Football with full plate armor. I thought it was pretty interesting, but what surprised me the most was how useless swords were against armor. This got me thinking; Have all the games I have been playing lying to me?

I took it upon myself to do some research. Apparently, armor was VERY hard to penetrate, so much so ‘Knights’ were often Kidnapped and held for ransom rather than killed. Swords were no match for their armor as they simply glanced off. Knights were often forced to use maces and axes to penetrate their armor. Spears/Pikes were also effective at puncturing the thick plate.

But you are probably wondering; Why mention this? Well, I was thinking. What if this was implemented into the game? For example; Seeing a heavily armored knight was considered the ‘Big Daddy’ of the Medieval world. Tough to kill and needing more than just the traditional weapons to kill. If you have ever played Bioshock, you would understand what I mean.

I feel plate armor should really make a difference. Not just for looks or ‘damage reduction’ but to the point where traditional blades pretty much do nothing, unless an attack strikes an open area. Players shouldn’t be able to simply kill with a sword, but rather, require some sort of blunt weaponry to effectively kill a knight. This would make things interesting as well as create a ‘boss battle’ feeling. Players should feel intimidated by the sight of a FULLY armored knight, arrogantly walking towards you with a sense of invulnerability as you back pedal to get some distance. Only the force of a blunt weapon is sufficient enough to knock some sense into him! But one mere blow will only dent his helmet, it would take a few blows for the knight to get knocked unconscious/killed. Maybe by denting his facemask in, he might be inclined to remove it to focus on you better.

I hope you take this into consideration; this game needs all the realism it can get. Big bad knights would only be icing on the cake as well as create interesting scenarios where the player must think, using more than just a blade to defeat such a powerful foe.

1 Like

Yes, swords were pretty much ineffective in penetrating plate armour… though there were techniques like half-swording that allows you aim for more vulnerbale points (between plates).
Knights being held for ransom has nothing to do with plate armour. They were nobles and thus their relatives can afford to pay.
In one video update warhorse stated that only way to defeat enemy in plate armoru would be to exhaust him and then kill him.

Oh so they are already considering this? Great. :] They seem to know what they’re doing.

Though I’d like to be able to swing a blunt weapon to do some direct damage to them.

I recommend you catch yourself up on all the video updates… then you might have some better context :smile:

1 Like