Seven Kingdoms (Game of Thrones)

A great project, thank you for your effort, this will be epic!
Just one question: Do you intend to add Ironborn or an Ironborn armor? Or not, because the mod is playing in the Riverlands?

Great comment – The project has been designed within the framework and confines of the main KC:D game. it’s better to depict a smaller area (e.g. the Riverlands or a portion of it) with detail and depth than disappoint fans by promising all of Westeros. My only area of concern is with scripting/roleplaying (for example, we don’t have a team of professional voice actors), so the initial focus is on sandbox, open-world gameplay. I’ll keep an eye out for a PM, thank you!

This was a big discussion during development for Attila: Total War. It would certainly be easier to reference the books and use existing KC:D armor, but the majority of fans want show-based content. Players form stronger connections with the game and environment (and ultimately enjoy them more) when they can reference external sources, especially those they are passionate about.

The show designs were meant to convey emotion and feeling rather than practicality; for example, the Freys give you the impression of cheap, weaselly behavior. The Lannisters convey a sense of wealth and invincibility. The show designer discusses her logic in an article here: http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/a12097061/game-of-thrones-costume-designer-interview/

Only Riverlands content and armor that fits the setting.

2 Likes

The riverlands are a good setting, a lot of battles take place there for both the books and series, not to mention the cool castles and all the houses, hope it goes well

1 Like

We waited years for a realistic medieval RPG with no dragons/magic, and all you guys want is another fantasy game. Don’t get me wrong, I love Game of Thrones, but the game’s not even out yet

1 Like

Yeah but until the Mod comes out we will have enough time to play KCD a lot of times so then it will also be cool to have something new to try out, especially in the GoT/SoIaF universe.

1 Like

There are no dragons or magic in this mod either (in the description). KC:D was chosen because it’s a gritty, realistic game. It takes 1-2 years to complete a total conversion mod depending on size, and you’ll likely be finished/bored with the main game by then.

6 Likes

Will there be story missions (like main game) in this game of thrones mod?

nah there will be expansions, dlcs, and other mods. with game of thrones mods, it’s like you’re removing all the things that attracted me to the game in the first place. just one example, the armor. instead of all manner of authentic jaketons, gambesons, plate armor, etc it’s going to be replaced by generic fantasy leather armor

Have you ever seen game of thrones…the armour isn’t extraordinarily fantasy based… it’s pretty good. if it removes the reasons for you playing the game… can I recommend not using the mod?

4 Likes

why are you recommending me to do something i never had any intention of doing?

and how does my not playing this mod negate everything i said about game of thrones and the irony of importing fantasy into a game that arguably came about because the market was already completely inundated with fantasy. you can see how this mod idea for a game like this is amusing.

and forgive me if i don’t trust your claim of “it’s pretty good” when the armor looks like 12 layers of leather fuck harnesses glued on top of a plastic breastplate…throw in some oversized plastic pauldrons from the halloween store. there are 80s b-movies that have better medieval costumes.

I really hope you aren’t insulting game of thrones, that’s just too far

1 Like

Unless you’re just complaining for the sake of complaining (it’s winter after all):

I come from the Arma community, a milsim series built from the ground up for realism. It catered to a very small, niche crowd of hardcore gamers that, like you, were completely fed up with the arcade fantasy shooters saturating the market. Arma had a successful launch and the realism fans were satisfied.

Here’s the problem, and here’s what happened to Arma2: when you’re catering to a small niche crowd, you can’t sell the game in large numbers. Updates came out less and less frequently, content expansions weren’t planned, and the “realism” fans began to get bored and complain because the developers would rather invest in new titles for revenue rather than support old titles only a small crowd of players enjoyed. When you can’t sell the game, you lack the funding and resources for updates, expansions, DLCs, and continued support.

Then DayZ came out, a zombie apolocalypse mod that went completely against the grain and added fantasy and roleplaying elements to an open-world military simulator. It attracted thousands of players who otherwise never heard of Arma, let alone would have purchased a military simulator. Have a look at their sales figures and player counts once DayZ came out and began attracting a wider base of players:

image1

The end result was continued financial support for the series, a number of expansions, developer team growth, and investments in Arma3, the sequel to the game. Niche realism fans were satisfied, and so were other fans who came for modding support. You can read more about the rebirth of Arma2 from the DayZ mod here: http://caas.raptr.com/how-dayz-brought-arma-ii-back-to-life/

TLDR; a fantasy mod saved a realism game. Even if you wouldn’t play it personally, it adds life to a series, helps the studio, and ultimately helps YOU get the type of content you want.

6 Likes

I was going to say that…but I was beaten to it😜. Lmao😂

compared to the books, the series really deserves critique. don’t be such a fanboy.

1 Like

How dare you, both are amazing in their own ways but this thread isn’t about arguing about how great game of thrones is, so hang on while I create my own thread lmao

Wow! That is awesome news!

Completed Stark armor – finally done! Armor sets will take advantage of KC:D’s layer/inventory system to allow combining different pieces of armor and individualizing outfits. Made in ZBrush, 3DS, Substance Painter, and rendered in Marmoset.

7 Likes

Great! Hear me Roar! Good Idea hope you get later support from the KDC Staff (if they fix first the game)

Have you had a look at the game and/or modding tools? Is the project possible? I hope it is. Good luck.

Yes we have, we started our works on the mod already. There are some limitations and we are currently trying to work it out with the current situation of the modding possibilities.
Stay tuned for more information, if we have some news on it we will definetly share

1 Like