Should I buy this game?

So you want enemies to have equal skill in combat and fights last longer? Then you will get people complaining that fights take too long and become boring in the process. Like I said you will never win in a game balance argument, the best you are going to get is to balance it yourself, even if that means nerfing yourself.

I am not a mind reader. I do not know the skill level of the enemy I have not encountered yet. My only option is to be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best. When I prepare for the worst, I own everybody. When I under prepare, I get owned. I am not a mind reader. You are asking me to nerf myself so that I can have a fight that lasts longer than 2 swings, but how will I know the skill level of enemies I haven’t encountered yet, or how many there will be?

Why should I have to eat the cost of a game with no balance? How did that turn into my problem? The balance is typically remedied in development by skilled developers. Only in KCD do we put the balance on the user and ask him to be a mind reader and predict the future skill level of enemies he hasn’t encountered yet? I’m pretty sure I just won that argument.

That is your opinion that the game is inbalanced. If you want to run around with the best gear possible 1 shotting enemies, then that is your problem, the enemies can’t get any more difficult really. Just like the players that loot everything then complain that it is too easy to make money.
I think the game is pretty balanced in the fact that some enemies you can destroy and other will kick your ass. Not everyone is equal in ability

I DO NOT want to run around 1 shotting enemies. The problem is, I’m not a mind reader. So I can only prepare. Do you understand what I’m trying to tell you???

How will I know if I’m going to 1 shot an enemy or not UNTIL I HAVE 1 SHOTTED THE ENEMY??? My guess was weapon skill level, but I’m rank 10 or below on every weapon skill and I’m already steam-rolling everybody.

And yes, this is my opinion. That’s why it’s called “my opinion” lol. I think the person who started this thread should know about the graphical bugs, as well as what I perceive to be a serious issue with balance. Half of the people say the combat is way too easy, half of them say its hard. That’s a balance issue in my opinion, not an issue with the combat. The combat mechanics are fine. The game just does a poor job of matching you up against enemies of equal skill level. Perhaps they should have built a modular enemy system, or a dynamic enemy system that matches enemies closer to your skill level so that there’s a better balance. Instead the game expects you to predict the future. If you are prepared, you will not have fun. And as far as I know, nobody can actually predict the future yet…

Or better yet, why not have a baseline weapon and armor level, and then have an elite skill level and elite armor level that puts you above the NPC’s?? In other words, why is there skill level 20 for sword, and really high tier armor if there aren’t NPC’s competent enough to challenge you with that gear? All of this could have been fleshed out in development.

In reality, you should probably stay around level 6 or 7 with weapons, and use only medium tier armor (most of the time), but then if you get attacked by multiple enemies , you’re still massively under prepared. I don’t know, it’s tough. But I do know it could have been managed better.

How do you balance a game where everybodies abilites vary, hmm. Some people are good at gaming, others aren’t, how do you balance that? Level scaling enemies is terrible, Oblivion had it and it was boring as hell, no sense of progression as enemies were equal to you all the time, from start to finish.

Dude, that’s a really really good question. That’s one of the biggest problems developers contend with in modern gaming. It’s my belief that the developers need to make that call. People can always get better at a game. Not just in video games , but in life. When you practice something, you get better at it. Unless you’re below a certain IQ level, or mentally disabled, or mentally retarded. I’m not trying to be funny, I’m being serious. We have really dropped the ball in this regard in the gaming industry.

Developers are way too often playing to the lowest common denominator, and refusing to challenge people because they’re afraid kids might give up and stop playing. This is wrong in my opinion. The best games are always the most challenging because you learn something, and develop skills. Humans are biologically predisposed to prefer that outcome.

So while the skill level of players varies, they can do a far better job of building a pre-game tutorial that gets players up to a certain skill level before they dive in and start playing. That’s how you remedy that better. It’s never perfect.

When you play to the lowest common denominator, you’re doing everybody a disservice. When people aren’t being challenged, there’s no growth. Growth occurs through competition, and risk taking. You have to build competence, and then try your hardest against one another. You ALWAYS have to try your hardest when you’re playing games. The only real exception to that would be if you were teaching an undeveloped child how to do exactly that. It’s common for parents to let their child win at the point where the child is trying its hardest. That’s to ingrain the behavioral trait. Parents want to teach the underdeveloped child that there is a reward for trying their hardest. So they let the child win, and the child connects the reward with ‘trying hard’. Once a child is developed, we don’t have to let them win anymore. And btw, they don’t want you to let them win. When developed adults find out you’re letting them win, they go elsewhere. They don’t like it. This game isn’t for children. There are fully fleshed out sex scenes.

If I approach this game and try my hardest, It’s shockingly easy. It’s almost so easy I think the game is broken, or somethings wrong. That’s not good. I thought Bernard was bugged and broken because he keeps quitting after 20 seconds of training, but I’m just kicking his ass?

Oh yeah, and also the meme or trope of “try hard”. It appears as if a generation of kids has turned “trying hard” into an insult. So they’re teaching each other that trying hard has a negative connotation associated with it, which is exceptionally dangerous. The reason we love video games is because they are simulations of what we experience in life. You build competence, and learn and grow. If we start teaching people that “trying hard” is bad, get ready for the apocalypse, because that philosophy doesn’t just stop with the video game. That’s a massive developmental flaw.

But really we know “try hard” is just an insult that kids use because they’re embarrassed you tuned them up. They pretend they’re not actually trying, so you don’t judge them. I don’t think getting owned is a bad thing. I want people to try their hardest against me, so I can spot my flaws and address them. They are helping me grow and build competence.

1 Like

Do whatever you need to do to have fun. If that means putting limits on yourself then do it, if the game isn’t fun anymore, then maybe put it down for now, pick it up again later. Nothing wrong with that. I stopped playing KCD not long after FTA DLC came out, as it got boring after a while. Picked it back up when BOB DLC came out and had some renewed fun in it. Stopped playing again as I’m nearing the end and that last bit gets a bit boring.
You tried harcore mode?

Not yet. I am experiencing severe bugs with the game, and started over because I wanted to try it again from a fresh install. I’m getting some pretty bad graphical issues. Also, so many people were telling me the game was hard enough as it is. Let that be a lesson learned. I should have known better. I can try hardcore mode, what changes?

Most HUD elements are gone:
-No compass
-No player indicator on the map
-No combat star/shield etc (you need to actually watch the enemy rather than wait for the shield to pop)

You need to pick atleast 2 negative perks at the begining with varying negative effects, you can pick them all if you like for more challenge.
As you don’t have any navigation you can get lost quite easy, so you need to try and remember landmarks and the sun to find your direction.
Also (you may not like) no auto saves during any quests. Can only save with schnapps or a bed. Which is not really a big deal for me as I make lots of schnapps anyway. I don’t see why people dislike the save system so much, schnapps are easy to make.
No fast travel.
There are probabily some others which I can’t remember, but I am finding hardcore alot more fun than normal.

That sounds interesting, but I would still run into the same problem. Once I find Bernard, after about an hour of training the game has nothing left to offer me. It sounds like you’re talking about environment cue’s mostly. Which adds more realism, but doesn’t make the game that much harder. The negative perks might, but are the 2 negative perks doing that much? I go up and down perks just based on the last time I layed a wench, or the last time I drank a potion.

I would have liked to see what they call “hardcore mode” the default mode I guess. I’m still wanting more difficult battles. You can make an exploring game without combat if combat isn’t going to be fun. I dont know why there’s such an emphasis around the combat when the enemies are so incompetent.

Oh btw, I never played Skyrim. I heard that game is similar to KCD. Do you know if the combat is more difficult in that game? A lot of people seem to like that game but I don’t trust people’s opinions anymore. You know enough about how I feel to give better feedback if you’ve played skyrim.

Skyrim, god no, you just press the attack button to slash, slash, slash. It also suffers from alot of imbalances too, some skills when combined are just OP. You can craft God gear with the right skills, which makes questing for unique items pointless. It’s not a terrible game. Mods are where it’s at though, I don’t think I would have played even a quarter as much as I have without them. Vanilla is meh.
Is it similar to KCD? Does being an open world game count?

Well, a lot of people compare them because it’s a similar genre. A lot of people will call games “clones”, but they’re just in the same genre. I don’t like when people do it either. I don’t want to hijack this guys thread, but do you know if there are more enemies in KCD at night? I seem to only find cumans at night, and then also do you get more potions when you brew them perfectly? I skipped the distillation process on the bane potions the entire time, but they always work for some reason.

We’re not slaying dragons or ogres so I’m not sure this is a bad thing

The stylistic fighting of KCD is cool but in the context of battles it’s underwhelming. It got better with bastards but still much to improve upon

? I find them in the Talmberg camps all the time in day light. Find them in the Rattay-Vranik loop at their ambush and battle spawn points at night and day

Don’t think it’s poorly executed. Just think it’s not (well) polished.

You can get away with the lack of polish when you throw a lot of stuff at the players (looking at you Beth and FO4). WH missed its own Kickstarter targets and think that lack of additional distractions (mechanics) makes the lack of polish more noticeable

It was interesting to read the back and forth here. There are those .like me, who see the good in the game and enjoy it (despite the minor glitches), and there are those who criticize the game because it isn’t or doesn’t have features they had on other games. Those that experience "bugs’, I sympathize with but I have not experienced a game breaking bug or something that a simple reload of a save did not fix. Perhaps I am more patient and tolerant of the game because I enjoy the game. I have yet to experience a game that has been perfect but I have experienced games that have been awful. KCD is not perfect but it is leaps and bounds better than many other games out there (IMHO).

3 Likes

I’d say go for it. If you enjoy diving into games and really getting a grip/understanding of the lore and mechanics it’s really fun. It’s a welcome change for people that enjoy fantasy games like Skyrim and The Witcher because it has a lot of similarities but is grounded in reality. I got it recently on Xbox One and the bugs that were reported early on seem to have been dealt with pretty well. And for a developer’s first game it’s really pretty phenomenal. The DLCs are a really fun addition as well.

one issue with the game is that for PC you need a decent video card
my first one was frustrating so I upgraded specifically for this games