Simple change, Headbob

I’m a little amazed that it took 80 responses for someone to finally say this. :smiley:

All of this about what it actually looks/feels like in real life is not really the issue here.

No, I don’t notice my vision bobbing when I walk, but I do like slight camera motion in the game for two reasons, and only two reasons. 1) It lets me know I’m moving and 2) I don’t feel like a floating camera.

That’s it! No argument for realism here. Just player’s preference for look and feel of movement.

Just to add some water to the ocean:

Bobbing of view actually is a personal preference, no matter what sweet diagrams you folks are pointing out. Well, make that a Bachelor thesis, I guess. Would be interesting to read “Does a bobbing view emerge the perception of the felt realism in video games?”…

I actually would like that bobby-view. So, I would plea for some optionality as well. Whereas I won’t go for opting it out is the helmety-question. If you wear a full-can-helmet with just a little slit to see through, you will have to live with the resticted field of view, period. I wore such a “tin-can” meself and learned its disadvantages pretty quickly.
And if anyone here really persists on negating this restriction o such helmets, well go for it, get yourself this sweet head-can: http://www.medieval-crusader.de/Mittelalter/Topfhelm%20Dargen/Dargen03.JPG - and have fun :smiley:

To summarize it reasonable:

• Bobbing: optional.
  • Restricted view (1st person) depending on helmet: Definitely needed. (3rd person then again won’t have that restriction, logically speaking)

I won’t call for 100% realism. But I like some details pushing the border of the reality you feel while playing games.
And if now anyone persists on the realism-argumentation and dementing with the same breath, that choice of head protection doesn’t affect the actual things you can see though it… Well, don’t make a fool of yourself, please.

PS: Also, I am aware of the “tone” of my writing, that was done intentionally.

Generally agree, just helping explain why some people get sick from it. I personally don’t but have friends who do. I think if the center of focus remains the same the unnatural feeling diminishes (bob the vision but keep the center of the camera on the same object). This is why adding the dot to the middle of the screen in Mirror’s Edge helped reduce motion sickness.

The whole hog approach would be implementing eye tracking, or VR so that your eyes can compensate the bob naturally without any tricks in the game software. The constant shift in objects to focus on is what messes with some people.

1 Like

New user here, have a few hours under my belt but I get really motion sick playing this game. Please can we have an option to turn it off?

Right now it is not possible to turn off the headbob, sorry. :frowning:

I am sorry to hear this, I am really loving the game. I tried again yesterday evening and felt so sick, the feeling lasted for hours. In short I am unable to play!

Please address this as soon as possible.

if bobbing was visually noticeable in reality, we’d be puking constantly. our brains make adjustments as necessary. our head is constantly moving, twitching, tiny movements, sometimes major and radical movements. none of this is noticeable unless you focus, and even when you focus, internal gyroscope mechanism counteracts this so you do not wobble over.

everyone says you notice the wobble is because of environment in relation to your view, that is not head bobbing, and it is still represented perfectly fine in games without headbobbing.

a major problem of vr is motion sickness because of the headbobbing that is not being filtered through the motor balancing mechanisms in our brains.

so anyone who argues that headbobbing is realistic, there’s your answer already that it is far from realistic.

off button is fine, for people that want the fake looking hollywood motion sickness effect, they can keep it on.

2 Likes

I gather that most people on this thread are talking about simulated vertical and horizontal bobbing and swaying of the image on the monitor when their player character moves through the game world, to simulate what happens in real life. However in real life when we move our head is actually moving up and down and side to side and is not stationary as it would be when we are sitting in a chair watching an image on a monitor. Crudely put: In side our head are sensors which tell our brain that we are moving, and when this is in accordance with what we see with our eyes, then all is well. However when our eyes tell us one thing and our ‘sensors’ tell us another this is when we feel motion sickness. Have you ever been inside a boat which is bobbing up and down, while reading a book? Our eyes tell us that we are not moving, because evrything in our vision is moving with us, but our brain sensors tells us that we are moving, so wee feel ill.

If we are wearing a vr helmet - such as the HTC vive, or the PSVR which detect our head movements, and we physically bobbed our heads up and down then I believe that the virtual world will react accordingly. So the game should not need to add its own bobbing movement to the screens.

In VR use: One thought would be to use the real world vertical head bobbing/knee bending movements of the player to drive the speed of the movement of the game character through the virtual world. FOR EXAMPLE: Small slow bobbing movements equals slow walking, Bigger vertical movements equals running. While on horse back, the speed may be multiplied to simulate the faster speeds of horses. This would also mean that the stamina characters stamina does not need to deteriorate with excessive ‘running’ as this would be determined by the fitness and stamina of the player. Note this would be a good way of getting some exercise.

1 Like