Sitting and Sleeping on the Ground

I would like to see my character sit or sleep on the ground. This would add a lot to the immersion in the game.

I understand the challenges of sitting on objects (bounding boxes, sit position, rotation, offsets etc…) but sitting/sleeping on the ground should be a lot easier to implement. Possibly a simple animation with a Z offset?

It would be nice to be able to sit on the ground and admire a sunset or sleep under the stars instead of standing, like a horse, almost all of the time.

11 Likes

Haha i found this very amusing! Yes that would be a wonderful game mechanic, but just as a reminder, Warhorse is allowing fans and artists to create their own mods and put it up on the workshop! so if your idea does not make it in to the game, have no fear! A modder will definitely create this. best of luck Adimeleck.

1 Like

@adimeleck A pretty clear and simple expectation. This should definitely be an option. :thumbsup:

1 Like

Yes, I think that would be a cool feature.
Already proposed that in another thread not too long ago’:

and falling asleep, while lying on the ground and watching the starry night would be pretty neat.
screen slowly fading to black

2 Likes

during the long and difficult journey, have a break in a cisy glade for the night would really improve the immersion. and that could even lead to night time raiders or animals attack… just to fit the timeline of these past ages :3

2 Likes

in Gothic I liked to just sit around the campfire or on the bench it’s very atmospheric

2 Likes

Oh, yes, I’d very much like for the protagonist to be able to sit and lay on the ground. Immersion booster, for sure.

Or… to be able to go prone, since there is sneaking in the game.

1 Like

As a soldier (US Army) I learned to sleep under any condition -In the back of a moving 2 1/2 ton truck, in a C17 cargo aircraft, in a hole in the ground with intermittent artillery firing a couple hundred meters away. When I needed sleep, I would close my eyes and shut down. I would do the same when there was nothing else to do.

A soldier’s life is one of short periods of frantic activity interspersed among long periods of waiting. During those periods, the more experienced soldiers would usually sleep because you never knew when you had to be up and alert for a long time before you had a chance to sleep again.

2 Likes

So true :sleeping:

1 Like

On the issue of sleeping: Since this is a single-player game, why isn’t there better time-compression during sleep? I’ve played games where a character’s sleep is compressed to a few seconds, as opposed to me getting up and making coffee, just so I could sit back and watch a timer.

Because the game is still in development. Right now every NPC task is computed in the background, the speed is set by the speed of your computer who have to handle all the things happening in the world.

1 Like

What would be interesting to me is to have an RNG system of insomnia. What I mean is: you try to lie down in a place(such as the ground) that isn’t comfortable. Moments pass, and time goes by but your character wasn’t able to sleep. It was because the place you tried to sleep wasn’t comfortable enough.

This could be determined with things such as:
-proximity to roads; if you feel like someone is going to happen upon you while you sleep it can be difficult to pass out.
-Time since last battle; if you just killed someone I doubt you’ll be sleeping steadily in the next hour. Unless you have done it a lot then I suppose your character could get desensitized.
-Imagined RNG; like a prompt could come up saying you thought you heard something or “you can’t help but feel someone is watching you.”

All of these could be mitigated with a dire need of sleep, a comfy bed or cloak, a fire nearby(animals/bugs dislike fire), or perhaps foraging for, or buying, lavender could make you more relaxed.

This might be too much work to implement, but it could make sleeping conditions something to think about if the day night cycle gets stretched out. Especially if the time ratio gets closer to 1:1 in the final version.

1 Like