So are we just to quit the game?

You literally subjected yourself to 80 QA/QC man hours beta testing an unpolished AAA title.

SMH

Looks like WH Studios owes you a very green and fat check in backpay…

Yes.

If you overhype a game and give potential players the illusion of what’s promising to be an unparalleled, standout AAA title, then isn’t this to be expected?

Yes. It most definitely does. See above

Agreed. Except where Steam stats are concerend.

First impressions are everything in the gaming industry. Especially if it’s a new franchise AND first of said new franchise title being introduced to the market.

The more PC gamers lose enthusiasm for this game, the less likely KCD will ever be modded. And if PC gamers lack the enthusiasm to release mods for the PC, then modding will be exactly DOA for the significantly larger console gaming community. If WH continues alienating the PC player base, KCD will NEVER achieve its full potential for a long shelf life the way the TES & Fallout franchises have. Instead of exploiting player loyalty to the franchise, WH would have to roll the die on future releases. Depend on finicky industry/gamer feedback with each new release instead of fan base loyalty to the KCD title brand. So paying the bills just got that much harder for the future IMO…

Bethesda leads the gaming industry as being the only software dev to date which 1) proactively engages the modding commuity because 2) it understands that by doing so, it can better exploit and monetize the modding community of its 2 flagship franchises. Bethesda has been reaping the rewards of said proactivity to date.

WH Studios had the opportunity to watch how Bethesda accomplished this since 2011. So IMO, WH either didn’t

1)learn from the “how” in Bethesda’s proactive modding community engagement. How Bethesda exploited this to gross $450M the first week of a single player RPG release:

and how Bethesda used the longevity of this popular franchise title (thanks to the modding community) to grow another (less popular) single player RPG title (aka Fallout 4) and make $750M on launch day for said title. Basically obliterating the industry’s leading MMO title (aka CoD) upon launch:

and/or

2)didn’t care to follow Bethesda’s proactive modding lead, as mod kits appear to be a pure after thought on Varva’s software development list for the franchise .

And/or possibly

3)don’t care about growing KCD as a flexible, high quality sandbox RPG over the long term in the future.

Without mods, sandbox game play will be non existent and reduces the replay value of KCD. Which could imply #3 is the WH dev vision for future KCD titles i.e. low replay value due to limited MQ replays (depending on how many times players are willing to replay the MQ to experience all possible outcomes).

So if this truly the WH devs vision for KCD, then I wouldn’t be surprised if subsequent KCD titles end up being marketed the way Ubisoft releases increasingly inferior Assassin’s Creed titles every damned year (and will likely earn the achievement as the RPG version of Madden NFL series in the near future). KCD has the potential to devolve to exactly that industry substandard by default of its design. Turn into a cash grab to churn out increasing medieval realism RPGs which are loosely based on historic conflicts. Which would be easy to do, given Europe being littered with hundreds of historical wars, battles and conflicts on which you could base future medieval simulation RPGs. Undesirable, as this would significantly dilute the game play quality of the KCD franchise.

1 Like

Agreed I think the whole talking s*** about Side Up hate group of people that spent 5 years making a game to f****** do a cash grab I mean that’s that’s ballsy that’s just f****** stupid I’m sorry that claim is downright f****** retarded I mean first of all just look at it from their perspective if you’re trying to get a get-rich-quick skeem I sure as hell don’t think leaving it to chance on it happened to be successful because if it hadn’t of I mean that’s just stupid that’s a really poor investment for scheming anyway moving on nah but it just an update again I’m still having the stuttering issue it’s like it works for a little bit and then I’ll go to another mission and then it starts I’m reached a point to the game where I’m mid game and no matter what I do it starts out slowly and then if I play the game at all it just progresses to where it breaks the game and I mean literally breaks the game not I can’t do one swing I mean I can’t do any goddamn thing everybody walks around like they have Parkinsons literally everybody is like vibrating and I myself have Parkinsons to apparently goes right along with them I’m doing the shaking as well so I really think they need to do a hotfix on this I don’t care about certain missions but I do care about me not even being able to do little things like hunt and other s*** just to pass the time till they can fix the bugs I mean like literally the whole world is off-limits to me now because it’s going to f******

Mods make longevity it’s something I’ve noticed and I don’t even get the f****** have mods cuz I’m on an Xbox and I can see that

@Ryksalmonson Skyrim and Fallout 4 have XBox and PS4 mods. the PS4 ones aren’t near as fancy or extensive as the PC ones or even the XBox ones but they have some good ones nonetheless. i’ve been playing FO4 for years because the PS4 mods. really hope WH does what’s needed to make mods available on console.

one can promise you the moon. doesn’t mean you should believe them. everyone of the following is a reason to question or disbelieve what you imagine you were told and understood:

• Start up company
  • Maiden product
  • Open world RPG
  • Cryengine
  • Novel combat system
  • Relatively small staff size (for some, first industry job)
  • Relatively small budget

being naive leads to suboptimal consumer behaviours.

what evidence do we have that WH has closed the door on modding?

FO4 offered a season pass as part of pre-order. the game was released in Nov; first DLC was in Apr. PS4 got mods about 1 year after release

things take time. i’m inclined to heed the words of the 7 kingdom (game of thrones) modder:

Holt you are coming across as a fear/hate monger. Just stop.
Take a breath.
Game has been out SIX WEEKS.

They have announced modding support.
You put forward fallicies and back them up with stats? (Lies, damned lies,… and statistics).

Bethesda didnt have modding sorted out back in 2011.
RPG gamers usually buy games on release and then put serious hours in after a few months when the game has had a few patches.
Quoting steam stats on a game that had a 23Gb day one patch (and subsequently had many steam users stop it from going online… (my steam stats show ‘1 minutes played’. -my girfriends latest playthrough has over twelve hours-and she doesnt even play games).

Steam stats on this game will come good again shortly. They are quite misleading for a few reasons presently.

And you way over generalise in order to push your arguments.
Fallout dodnt take CoD players away - they are different genres.
Skyrims success was it being dumbed down for the masses (as RPG gamers would say).
Do arrows hurt skeletons a lot… yes?
Hmm thats no D&D table I have ever seen…

KCD takes a lot of formulas and makes them work.
Sure a lot of tourists stopped by to check out the pretty graphics.
This game will stabilse (6 weeks!)… mods will come.

Your very argumemt states how important consumer perception is and yet here you are spouting all sorts of stuff thread to thread that suggests you have a wish to down sale this product… (im not really being serious- again- take a breath)

Game is awesome.
When less sensationals whinge and more people get to see what it is about- its niche will be permanently carved… bethesda games survived because of modding. Their studios never dealt with many bugs- even in their rereleases and game of the year products. Community modding did that.

Here we have a determined studio who have brought us a bril base game (no mods needed vs Skyrim with 200 mods doesnt really get close…)(yes I have been modding Skyrim since launch)…
Ps4 has mod limitations that include graphics- something KCD shouldnt need as badly as Skyrim etc… so mission and quest mod and gameplay lengthening ones should prove available to ALL platforms. That is awesome.

To date I have never seen a game cause me so many ‘wow’ moments.
Original gears of war on xbox maybe. Cause it was on xbox and co-op. Final fantasy 7 on playstation going from cut scene straight into game was pretty impressive for the 2mb ram/33mhz system that it was…

WH tweeted console mods not in plans. Crying shame. Hopefully they can be ‘encouraged’ as Bethesda was to make it happen
7 kingdoms will never come to PS4 and maybe XB. Absolutely fine with that.
That said, if WH proves as imaginative and creative with their DLC as they were with the game, the need for console mods might not be as great as with FO4

1 Like

To say my experience playing this game has put me off my tea doesn’t scratch the surface. To say I’m royally teed of would be an understatement. While I cognitively agree with your points, emotionally this game continues to undermine my expectations and confidence with each update release. Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind despite all their gross vanilla bugs, were still completely playable games. I did NOT have to restart my game only to find I can’t complete quests needed to progress in the game. The latest patch update still fails to address my technical issues and inadvertently breaks some other aspect of the game that didn’t require fixing.

Regardless, it’s great to see you’re one of the fortunate ppl who can play your game without issues. But try to accept the fact there are others like us who can’t, and/or are out a non refundable $60 for a title that doesn’t work as advertised, and/or are increasingly disappointed with said updates and/or are disgusted with Kickstarter fan boy trolling to the likes of “Well my game works just fine” B$. Which is a complete back handed slap in the face for those of us who are unable to enjoy the game the way you are clearly fortunate enough to.

edit: on Steam stats, I’m not looking at how many hours ppl have played on average. I’m looking at how many gamers are playing on a daily basis to get an idea of popular gamer trends. Gamers will play a game if they like the game. They will continue playing that game regardless of whether the game has significant bugs or not. Even if you put mods aside, KCD still doesn’t follow the same consistent trajectory that Skyrim has. If I’d waited to buy KCD, the fact it’s fallen out of the top 20/100 on Steam’s list–after barely 6 weeks as you indicated–would be of significant concern to me. I’d hesitate to buy a title that lost that much peak and daily player volume over such a short time. I’d ask what factors are earning it such a lack of popularity over such a short time. And since the answer is most likely bugs, then I’d likely hold off buying until player feedback in the bug section of this forum, or on Youtube and/or other gamer reviews on the web indicate otherwise.

So no I’m not trolling. Just an extremely disillusioned consumer.

3 Likes

I hear ya-loud and clear :wink:

Whilst I completely acknowledge many (not most) users are having a range of issues, and after patching ‘most’ have had altered experiences (some for the worse overall)…
Doesnt take away the reality of this game existing and being terrific entertainme t.

60$ and hundreds of hours??..
And just look at the strong emotional reactiins from players when they cant get their KCD fix!?

This game is compellingly addictive. It will be fine once the product vision is realised. Something that the producers are aware that they need to double down on their efforts to polish before they ask another dollar. Their feeds on their local tv channels infers this strongly.

This isnt a fire and forget. This is their future livelihoods. Their reputation. This is way more to them than some $60 game to us…

Cheers and +1 for a reasoned responce acknkwledging emotions getting the best. I figured we had more in common than different :wink:

1 Like

In console is worst because i can’t even try some command line shit. I’m suffering with camera issues on xbox one.

2 Likes

You’re never going to get through to the Uber fanboys. Just got a message from this character telling me to delete my post criticizing WH, it’s laughable. Said he would “tattle tale” on me to the mods if I didn’t remove it. HAHAHAHAHAA. They jump into threads, do there damndest to derail any gripes with long winded, passive aggressive novel like answers.

My comment wasn’t even that bad, no profanity unless you consider turd a cuss word. Here is what I said verbatim. It was in regards to someone spotting DLC’s uploaded to Steam.

Hope it’s the cool new stuff Vavra mentioned would come with patch 1.4 and not cashgrab 2.0
Please don’t hoist another $60 unpolished turd on us while the original turd still needs polish.

1 Like

Fair points.

Personally, it would really, really help if the WH dev personnel who built this site were to dedicate separate forums for PC, Xbox and PS4. This would be a far better approach as a first step in troubleshooting IMO.

Because reading the Bug forum lately has become very misleading. I strongly suspect that the majority of my technical issues (particularly the graphics ones) are NOT being experienced by most console gamers. Most of the issues I’ve seen on the console end are in form of bugs that break game progression. Being a PC gamer, I do have the flexibilty and ability to workaround these game breaking bugs. But there is no guarantee that doing so won’t come at the expense of save game corruption down the road.

PC gamers are either conceited, brazen and/or crazy enough to play God by altering what the game engine can do with sanctioned mod kits. But tweaking/tampering with the game’s vanilla code using unsanctioned dev cheats (i.e. without the support of officially released mod tools) is tantamount to playing chicken with a hornet’s nest. Buck naked.

Over 2,400 hrs with a heavily modded Skyrim have taught me that. :joy:

1 Like

P.S. The fanaticism is so insane it’s scary.

Hexxemm I tried politley… and you insult me; fine- GAMEON!
Your post wasn’t relevant to the thread and was your typical thread to thread bashing.
It served no purpose and helped no one, not one iota.

Now I wasn’t jumping from thread to thread,… it was a thread I had created. for the specific purpose of discussing something unrelated to all your banality.

You call others a fanboy… and without writing a volume (your preemptive attack) I would actually put forward that the fanatic and fanboy is you. All your efforts are exactly what you denounce others for doing.

On another thread where I politely took the time to explain how forums worked and why your off topic rants in every forum devalue the use of the whole forum ‘as a tool’ for the developers to use to improve the game; you simply gave some entitled rant about your freedoms to complain wherever you want to.
Well done. clearly you can complain everywhere, pointlessly so. even to the point of devaluing your own comments.
Thanks also for keeping the forums useless for everyone else. Time well spent.

That entire thread survived over one hundred posts until the ‘fanatics’ started to drop their off topic posts. denegrating the artists. (who may have spent a little while enjoying an actual thread)
posts from them to me over the course of that thread confirmed that.
And then you went’ representing our forum’ boldly forward and trashed it.

Please continue to tell me off as Iam sure it helps others to get the most from this software title.
You must be a lot of fun at the dinner table.

And this is one of the main reasons why I don’t invest in PC for gaming: too many moving parts. It’s great if you create your own content. But, beyond that, i’ll stick to (U)HD TV and consoles

Been a long day at work, thanks for the Lulz. Someones pisst.

sure, how about… same amount of moving parts (unless users add extra disks and drives (Ihave five storage drives and two optical), and the complexity is as much as a user wants… (Ihave base windows, 2x monitoring apps, steam, and games)…

It is a horrible platform for vendors to troubleshoot (due to range of configurations and user selections) but flexibility is paramount…

If Iran my three year old midrange PC into the TV (I do) Icould actually render ultraHD (my vid card has vastly more grunt than the xbox x), all whilst using ANYcontroller, paying less for games, less for networking subscriptions ($0), and being able to carry key components over from gen to gen.
My $500 sound card has jumped ship three computers now.
Only multithousand dollar bluray players put out equal sound quality.
ALso my PC is totally silent until Irun a game. then it is quieter than the fans in the room by a large margin. (effectively silent)

Nothing wrong with PCplatform other than Microsoft trying to kill it from gaming (wants Xbox sales), and most devs targeting consoles. KCD is the first RPG in a long time to push PC gaming graphics. It makes the Witcher on Ultra its poodle.

not saying consoles aren’t great. Ihave owned most of them over their entire history. (even rare ones like supergraphx turbo duo and neo geo)(as an aussie many consoles have been import only)

PCs also do double duty (if a user wants them too) doing practical stuff in life.
PCs are undoubtedly cheaper, but can be argued by both sides of the coin in their own favours.
sure when we factor the cost of keyboards and mine and monitors and windows licensing etc… there are a few extra costs. eg antivirus software if a net user… and troubleshooting/paying techs.

If the PCis there already, then changing a graphics card, for many, is all that is needed to turn it into a gaming beast.
a second hand card vastly more powerful than present consoles (these cards flood the market due to enthusiasts constantly upgrading) is not much coin, and might be the only option for some people to get into high quality graphical gaming.

the best thing about consoles is their consistency and ease of use.
and trophies (?)

loungeroom gaming doesn’t belong to any specific platform.

1 Like

Thing I loathe about PS4 is the CE alerts are the equivalent of idiot lights on cars. I get them now. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:reset sys, no :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: check for game update, no :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: etc :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: etc :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Not going to get high end performance or flexibility but basic playability… plug and play :slightly_smiling_face:

Why can’t there be a middle ground? This is both one of the most original and fun games I have played in quite a while and one of the most frustrating. The quests, NPCs and emergent world are a huge step forward and are what BioWare should have done with Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda. The whole bit where NPCs actually walk through the world to move to later quest steps is one of the coolest things I have seen in many decades of gaming. They did a great job getting me with the hook about the character and caring about Henry and excited about the twists and turns of his story as he progresses from a blacksmith’s son to become a hero.

This game would have been a 9.5 in my book but then the it also had an some bad issues including

1 - abrupt and poor ending. Yes I know it is Act 2 but I expect to get an actual ending when I buy a book or go to a movie. While I am at it, I wish they had done something more meaningful with the big plot twist but it was still a good twist.
2 - Cliche and Sexist handling of female characters. Yes I get that this is 15th century so life as a woman in Bohemia ain’t great. But surely War Horse could have given us at least something more than an achievement for sucessfully romancing Teresa like maybe some dialog like ‘hello love’ how are you doing when you talk to her or an option to replay some of the dates (walk, tarvern, barn) so you at least feel some sense of being in a relationship with the person.
3 - The numerous quest bugs and it took me using my skills as a software engineer to figure out work arounds to some of them and this frustrated the heck out me. I am still mad that I haven’t figured out a work around to the Freud Achievement which they appear to have broken in 1.3 (PS4 1.05). HINT TO DEV: Don’t expend effort to make a quest like Family Values more ‘realiistic’ and require checks against all 3 check types until you have fixed much more pressing matters.

So as a result a game that could have been a 9.5 lands at something like a 6.5. It will go up to an 8 or 8.5 once they fix the host of bugs.

This said, I can’t wait to play act 3 whenever they decide to ship it.

6 Likes