So third person?

The testers of mechanics sometimes using the third person for tests(This’s not in-game camera, but engine scene). But, it’s just for testing, not for actual gameplay. Problems with animations are:

1)Recorded animations were recorded for being used in 1st person view, not in 3rd person view.

2)Recorded animations weren’t optimized to be used in 3rd person view.

3)Camera isn’t optimized to be used in 3rd person view.

4)The game was designed to be played in 1st person, cus if you going to be 3rd person in some room, it’s gonna make troubles to pick items and etc. So, developers did the right choice for 1st person. It gives more opportunities to make mechanics and etc.

P.S This’s what i’ve been talking about. Only for testing they’re using 3rd person.

1 Like

Not true, Vast majority of testing is done in 1st person.

You are not able to understand the amount of work that would need to be done, to implement this in to the system which is designed like it is :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just used the wrong word(Always), but i just hoped, that people would understand. But, thanks for correction.

Of course the animations would look okay (and be tested to look okay) from third person… the AI/npcs use the same animations when they do all of their moves on each other and on you.

But, the control system, the visual presentation and the realistic feel of being in front of a person who wishes to do you harm… that relies on the first person perspective.

The environments are not specifically designed to play nicely with 3rd person cameras though, many places are confined, in height and width/depth in realistic ways. This is possible in first person, as you only need to have space for the player to stand and move, not also additional space for the camera to not clip.

Witcher, Skyrim et al have huge corridors, rooms and high ceilings in most places to give somewhere for the camera to slide to, and even then the behaviour is not always optimal.

2 Likes

You actually are the first person on the planet ever giving me a good reason, why in games many rooms etc. are (often riculously) oversized! Thanks, man.

In the trailers, they can use 3rd person easily, because, well you are not interacting and are already an outside observer. In the game itself, you are the guy interacting with the world.

Also, I don’t think there are that many (if any) ‘gameplay’ segments in 3rd person ?

Well at least they could implement a third person view for the horse riding or the walkings and when an action is executed the camera will be set automatically to first person view. Like reversing the plant gathering in example, when you’re about to collect a plant the camera will move outside Henry.

1 Like

Dialogues and cutscenes in game are from viewer’s side, third person. Then there is gameplay, e.g. walking, fighting and adenturing in first person. It’s not misleading because third person is trailer but there are also official gameplay trailers.

1 Like

I think it was Shaderversity who talked about Withers castle Kaer Morhen in W3 and told that rooms inside it are practically too big and could be divided into smaller rooms. But still good design and decision for 3rd person, though not so realistic, but fantasy games do not have to have practical realism all the time but seems weird if you expect realism.

3rd person is an “uncomfortable view” for me, very much so.
I could ask as well “why force”…
best way would be selectable perspective IMHO.
But then, the developers have to focus on one thing - and that seems to be the game experience.

1 Like

Another thing I just thought of is many other games that claim to be “realistic” have third person in them. I know they multiplayer, but still:
Arma 2
Arma 3
Dayz
Ect
And while third person can be disabled, it is often times NOT.
On the plus side though, I could see someone modding the game and making the system similar to witcher 3. I do believe that they would also have to overhaul everything, pickable items wise, to where there is a whole table to select… Like on witcher 3.

2 Likes

What work ? They show animationsin third inall videos , even in trailer and so deos’t seems to be lot of work required and also Cryengine has native third person view too .

I have modded a lot Skyrim and I can tell that its not true , there are some moments when first person is preferable like when picking an object, or interacting with objects, but other than that you can play fine in third person , since its a single player game you can do as you like and it wouln’t be a problem in a RPG like this title too.

3 Likes

Do you understand what development, testing tools and trailers are? They’re using Cry Engine 3, that differs form skyrim engine a lot. + They’re using their own tools based on this engine as well. The game was designed to be 1st person: shooting from a bow without a crosshair, interacting with objects, objects sizes and etc.

Beeing a developer myself and working with 3d engines and image processing, yes I do and you ?

Why then ask such pointless questions? If you know, what costs to make both - 1st person and 3rd person views. I hope, that developers would make an answer for all the people, who still don’t understand things. I won’t do conflicts of it, but everything already have been told a few years ago.

I do not recall seeing any third person gameplay in any trailer… could you send me a link to that video ? :slight_smile:

Wait, this isn’t where I parked my car.

1 Like

This one? :smirk:

1 Like

What the hell does this have to do with the price of orangutangs?

Skyrim works fine in 3rd person, because Skyrim has it’s world scale screwed with five ways from sunday. KC:D has more trouble with the 3rd person camera behaviour because more of it’s scenes are restricted in width/height/depth sufficiently to give uncomfortable angles and distances or clipping.
To accommodate the camera the realistic design of the environment would have to be compromised, or the result would be crappy, at least in and among built environments, where much of the gameplay complexity is found.

Architecture is based on archaeology and research from historians, not just ‘in general terms’ but so the individual and overall design of structures and how they fit together and are used by the population is useful as a historical resource in it’s own right.

Just look at Talmberk village, and see how many structures there are supporting the relatively few dwellings, each within it’s own toft, worked by the tenant or leaseholder for their own use, as well as the wider arrangement of furlongs within the two or three large fields managed for their individual owners whether they be freemen farmers, or for the demesne using the labour of villeins.

1 Like

easy , go to youtube and type kingdome come trailers.