Suggestion for the Taverns

Hi guys, ok so im making a discussion here to expand the immersion of KC:D.
I have a few ideas for the taverns and bars that is in the world.

So imagine this, you are Henry, and you want to go to lets say the tavern, you would like to mingle and even interact with the people in a village/town. You get there and begin to role play you sit down, wait for the bar maid to come over, order your drink and unwind. But instead of having lets say a tankard in from of you, or being able to listen in to a conversation of a couple of people while taking a drink, you literly hear nothing and do nothing. The only thing that you can do in terms of interaction is gamble, thats it. On top of that, you have to go into your menu and take a “drink”. There is no conversations going on between the villagers or townsman, no trouble, no drunken people nor even fights. So it kind of
for me
 breaks the immersion experience. The only thing you hear is “can i have a beer” or “more ale!” etc etc.

So, i am going to make a couple of suggestions, and see how other people feel about them, please feel free to even add ideas to this aswell. Also is there a way to send the dev team suggestions??? If i get enough people here to agree and what not, i could link the devs the topic here.

Suggestions:
1.Villagers/Townsmen actually interact with each other, imagine your in the tavern and you would, lets say, want to learn more about the world or even what people get up to, the difficulties they go through and the pride and joy they have for things they do or what not. This would be an incredible value in terms of immersion, i can understand it maybe too much work for people to interact with you, but atleast perhaps extra effort in terms of Henry’s friends, Fritz and Matthew.

2.Immersive drinking. You order lets say a drink and the maid puts it into your cup, and when you want a drink you press a button and Henry begins to pick it up and drink it, Henry will then say to himself “its getting empty” so you know when you need a refill.

3.Add value to the reason for having DRINKING as a skill. This could be implemented more in terms of entertainment and immersion via the tavern. Lets say, an NPC offers you a drinking challenge, that would be entertaining for the player as you see Henry trying to out do a rival NPC, you could even bet on it giving it more purpose. The more you tolerate drink, the more things could happen through out the night, which brings me to my next suggestion.

4.Drunken villagers/townsmen and fights, lets say you have been drinking through out the night, and you can see things are beginning to become more fun or more hostile as NPCs drink, so lets say an event where either an NPC wants to start a fight with you, OR, you see 2 perhaps more NPCs fighting each other and therefore the guards or even Henry can try to break it up. Imagine Henry is so drunk that he can barely concentrate and someone starts a fight with him, this will test your Henry on how well he can swing a punch and be able to stay in the fight without getting knocked out or worse, falling unconscious because of the alcohol. This definitly would bring alot more immersion and PURPOSE to the not just the tavern but Henry’s abilities aswell.

1. Drinking competitions, this will also bring more value and purpose to the DRINKING skill, lets say you start in hardcore mode and you want to earn so easier Groshen to help give yuorself abit of an edge in the game, why not add competitions so Henry can earn more coin so you can keep him fed and armed. This is also an entertainment purpose too.

I would personally pay money for this because id love to see the game expand, not just for me or other players but to literally add VALUE to the game aswell, this could bring in more potential players and keep people playing the game.

I hope this is a good enough idea for the developers to look into to help expand the game. Please, if you have any suggestions to add to this, add them to the topic, id love to see what other people think.

Thank you for reading this.

16 Likes

All great suggestions!

I’d love to see some of the NPCs dancing (like we did during Theresa’s courtship) and maybe in-game music (like traveling musicians)

7 Likes

It would nice to see the brewer in action. Haven’t seen that. Would be nice to see the brewer tending to the yet non-existant hopvines.

Regarding (4), drinking for sake of getting shitfaced, I’ll leave that to our medieval Czech/Bohemian historians to say if that reasonable. That said, drinking-talking mini-games would be a fun play element to add if it isn’t fictive history.

2 Likes

Taverns need more life. More options. More chances to engage npcs in a game of dice, a fist-fight, a drinking game or even a dance (which would need a minstrel, I guess).

They should feel less dead.

5 Likes

And bailiff intervention or not and fallout thereof

Being able to have a conversation would be a start

6 Likes

I support your ideas but there are major problems which might break game story if you give player too many options and activities to be distracted in immersive world while game tries to be story oriented. Let’s say you get drunk and kill some generic NPC. No problem. But you are criminal now and it may lead quest givers to not talk to you. There’s way out of this. Indulgences. You get enough money elsewhere and pay your crimes so you reset relationships to normal.
Drinking competition is what I expected when they introduced drinking skill, sadly it only affects your health replenishment after combat so you don’t walk drunk when you lose a lot ot health and don’t want to sleep instead after each battle for health to recover.
Drinking at taven would only be nice if you get follower with you, you pay rounds, they get drunk, they start ranting. Just imagine that special quest happening outside of quest with your follower
Sadly, we have none yet, and we’ll see about dog next year, if it will suit well.

I highly agree! In the witcher atleast you can see people dancing and other folk like bards playing music, it will give the game more life as it were. Really good idea there buddy! 100% would love that to be added to the game.

4 Likes

One thing that would be easy to implement and that would add to the feel of eating and drinking in a tabern is that you could order (trade) from a table.

It would work like this: once you are sat on the table, press some action key that would bring you to the tabernmaid trade menu, from which you can eat and drink directly without having to peruse your inventory after the transaction. Once you close that menu, black screen, ‘gulp sound’ and an empty plate and mug appear on the table in front of you.

6 Likes

I can what your saying but i dont mean Henry literally beating an NPC to death lol that would be stupid indeed. As for story driven oriantation, i personally think it would bring more immersion because you could look back and think “lol, that time me and a few villagers had a free for fall” or even being able to talk to lets say fritz and matthew about deeds you have done and then fighting the guards for being too unruly. It will help feel like your decisions you made in the game is not forgotten be the NPCs. I mean when you go to talk to your friends, all they literally have to say is “i am honored to speak to a knight such as you” 
aaaaa
im your mate, remember? how about “Hi Henry good to see you” atleast something to immerse you in the world and the people in it.

I agree, i was really excited for more purpose to the skill, unfortunately it falls short of what it could be.
I also agree with the “follower” that would be class! For instance i actally thought that the priest in Uzhitz, father Godwin, for being an experience fighter back in the day. Even the mission where you get drunk with him was incredible, i want more of that, i want to see that happening with other NPCs as it was very very fun, probably the best quest in the game.

2 Likes

Yea that could work no problem, but i wouldnt want the devs to be too lazy on it, but i also wouldn’t mind if they did that too, its a real boner killer that you have to go through the bloody menu again when you sit on the table.

He did offer to drink again. Should be able to pursuade him to visit

2 Likes

Agreed. So a pub visit isn’t just a time wasting visit the patrons could gossip about the village
 “I here so-and-so has lot of money hdden away”
“I here there is buried treasure in the forest north of here”

Oh
and drinking games

3 Likes

In-game music is actually one of the promised kickstarter stretch goal which no one remembers anamore.

3 Likes

That’s actually already in the game (the tracks with authentic medieval music). I’m referring to NPC musicians. It can be the same soundtrack, but I think this will make everything more festive and “alive”

2 Likes

The stretch goal is called “Live in-game period music” I take in-game as played by NPCs in game, otherwise there is no difference to other music.

I thought the same, but the language used by Warhorse has music split in two categories: in-game music when exploring, fighting, etc. and cutscene music. That’s why when you turn off “in-game music” via settings, all of those tracks (including the authentic medieval ones) are muted, but you still have cutscene music

Good ideas! If you looking for immersion stuff, take a look at this too: Suggestions, Feedback and Nitpicks!

I had also some ides regarding taverns. Let see what I can remmember (already wrote that somewhere on the forum)

1 Card game(s)
2 Prostitutes in pubs
3 Fortune tellers
4 start a feast, buy drinks to others (improve reputation)
5 if you are drunk, the innkeeper would try to rob you: more drunk->higher chance to be charged more for the drink. Then there would be chance that you notice it (drinking skill) - you can call the bailif/guards, let it be, etc.

2 Likes