Tatctics fighting multiple enemies

Try some Aqua Vitalis and Bucks Blood potions before a fight.
I believe both give you 10 minutes of protection.
That should give you some time.
But of course, a lot will depend on your armour/ weapon protection and condition.
You should also consider strategic moves.
If you back up to a wall, no one can attack you from that direction.
Same goes for trees and other diverse objects.
I found many YouTube videos helpful on strategic fighting and fighting mechanics.

Also apply poison to your weapons.
I apply Bane Poison, which I believe is the deadliest in the game, but you will have to bloody your enemy.

I fight almost entirely from horseback with multiple enemies. Might as well use the hight, speed, and extra power from the swing to your advantage. Gotta have a good horse though.

Once you get the hang of it, you can do a pretty good job of one shot kills when you charge through a group of them.

If it’s meant to be realistic why can an enemy take a stab in the head with no helmet and just lose a little bit of health. You can’t have realistic combat in one aspect but not in others. That’s why it’s so difficult.

There’s a lot of stuff that may seem unreal but your Henry is weak and so his attacks aren’t as effective though they seem deadly. Like shooting them with bow into head.

If the game was that realistic, then players would be crying that they die in 1 or 2 hits. If the game was that realistic then multiple enemies would be pinning you in position while the others beat the crap out of you. Some realism has to be sacrificed for gameplay. It’s as realistic as it can be without being completely ridiculous to play.
People seem to only want realism that suits them. They don’t want realism thats boring, grindy, too hard or too annoying, etc. But complain that it is unrealistic.

I never really cared for real immersive realism in games but rather for logical one, which kind of goes against the idea of headshotting enemy without death, but as I said before, it’s understood by Henry’s incapability to properly strike and a lot of other stuff is right which balances this experience. Even more I care for believability of the world as such the events happening and the internal rules of nature that shouldn’t just bend to will of the hero. So the RPG features make Henry significantly impactful in some situations. Again, he is able to wipe the whole enemy camps on his own, especially before he even caps the maximum in combat, but he gets to do that only by sophisticated ways, not head on assaults which again makes it more bearable. I saw bows doing the job pretty easily which I didn’t use much, since I saw it well fairing in combat before I started game and didn’t want to spoil myself. So that part is balanced at the start by shaky hands, but later gets you secure kills which I hope they balance in next game. Many people complained about the AI not taking action against player bowman. They improved it but still needs some work in my opinion.