Tatctics fighting multiple enemies

You’re arguing that my character doesn’t heal as he just stands there after battle?

I mentioned concussions above. You’ve got one. You’ve got a choice. Battle on with a penalty. Knowing that the penalty may be compounded by not letting it heal (as in RL). Or, take a couple-few days off. That’s it. Pretty simple simulation of RL

Well, unless you use a potion, eat some food or rest, no he doesn’t heal magically just by standing there.

News flash, he does!

No he doesn’t, unless you took a regeneration perk. You need to Eat, Sleep or use a Potion to heal.

By sleep, by perk, by game design, the mechanic is already in the game

I tend to only rest at night, and will go the day with whatever wounds I have, unless they are particularly grave and i’m in the middle of clearing out some bandits or cumens.
Having to break off and go rest up for days would make that part tedious and not enjoyable at all. In that case I’m quite happy to break off and find a spot to take a potion.
Note that I have modded the game to make it more challenging so potions carry a penalty in that they make you rediculously full and can make you hit overfull instantly.

You took my comment in a different direction lol
By they I didn’t mean Warhorse rather people asking these questions.
Maybe they don’t want this game to be unrealistic.They simply wanna know if it is possible to fight solo against large amount of enemies.

So basically you just want to grind. that’s fine. you’re modded workaround is just another layer of complexity. Can’t wait to give hardcore a try. The game really should permit a play thru that penalizes those that don’t heed wound avoidance and healing time. Right now, healing acceleration, lack of permanent damage, and cheap cost to repair gear pretty much eliminate the potential for this to be a ‘discretion is the better part of valor’ game

Not at all, I still want to have fun, I just want it to be challenging. Having it too like real life would take a lot of the fun away and turn it into a grind.

Yes so am I, am holding off on another playthrough till hardcore mode and from the ashes releases.

I’m sure you can mod it that way, WarHorse have just released a whole load more preameters you can tweak. Even the mods available you can edit to make them more to your liking (that’s what i’ve done).

No modding possible. Shouldn’t need a mod to play as such

Well, with all the best will in the world, they are never going to please everybody as that is impossible. And with modding you can tailor the game to your liking. You don’t need to change everything, just what you feel needs attention for how you like to play.
There are already some great mods out there even simple ones like the one that tells you when you’ve already searched an item/corpse so you don’t open it again.

Yeah, I’ve get enough $$$ in work and home computing already. Have $$$ but neither desire nor interest to consider investing more until BlickMang’s mod comes to fruition

Till then PS4 is fine.

That’s an ambitious mod, probably going to be a while before it comes out but could be awesome when it does. Will keep an eye on it.

I’ve put 200h in KCD, and killed ~1000 enemies over several playthroughs, almost only melee combat.
Here’s a few tips:

1. Use a shield. Weapons have defense ratings, if your weapon’s defense rating is too low you’ll get damage while blocking. Also the shield is the only thing protecting you from arrows.

2.Whenever facing archers do either of the above:
2a. Keep an enemy or other physical barrier between you and all the archers
2b. Engage the archers in melee.
Remember that even with the best shield you can’t just wait for 4-5 archers to run out of arrows, you’ll be wounded in the limbs and die before that happens.

3.Combos are a waste of time. In theory they’re supposed to give you a real advantage over a stronger opponent. In practice most opponents outside of the prologue will block and riposte after most of your attacks and several of your ripostes. This practically limits chaining attacks to enemies who are out of stamina. In general combos only work when you run out of stamina, the AI magically recognizes this 100% of time (yeah, the AI pretty much cheats) at which point you get charged by all opponents and receive flawless combos.

4.Given the above stamina is your most valuable asset. so keep on the defensive. Your best chance to inflict damage is using ripostes, if these deliver no damage (since some of them are more harm than good), you can try following up with a fast stab to the face.

5.Avoid combat on uneven ground, it’s very hard (in game terms, mostly because of the buggy autoaim) to hit anything above or below you.

6.Enemies will try to surround you, always, which leads to you getting killed 100% of the time. Whenever enemies try to surround you they assume a formation similar to the letter C whose ends are facing you. Your job is to always move backwards towards one of C’s ends effectively changing this formation to a wedge, where only one enemy is engaging you.

7.Arms and armor: the best hint is use the best stuff you can afford and keep it good condition (cheaper repairs and greater effectiveness). Whenever you have a relatively weaek weapon you can still beat a single opponent in a duel. Whenever you have to face multiple opponents you have to use weapons which deal around 30 damage (after substracting armor) to your enemy. The best solutions is to use high-tier piercing swords, maces or axes. Axes are a bit more effective than they suggest because they deal BOTH slashing and blunt damage with each swing, they also seem to be much more damaging to armor.

8.Visibility: you can’t kill what you can’t see, which is trivial to say. For one avoid fighting at night, avoid traveling at night (more frequent ambushes), just get in a bed or wait where you are until morning. If you’re forced to fight (are you, really?) you’d best put away your shield, grab a torch and deal with your lowered defense (it’s best to have a longsword or a shortsword which is good in defense terms for this scenario). You could try using the nighthawk potion. There’s also a word to be said about visors in game. For whatever reason the game makers made them 100% opaque instead of translucent (which they should appear to be being so close to one’s face). Either use the best open helmet you can get (bell-shaped kettle hat in game terms) or get a mod which makes the visors translucent. I don’t like cheating but the enemies don’t seem to be influenced by reduceed visibility caused by visors, so why should I?

9.Skills: the skills that matter in combat are (in order of decreasing importance): defense (affects the defense value of your weapons and shields as well as perfect blocking chances), warfare (affects the speed of your attacks and the rate at which enemied defend from you ), strength (affects damage with most weapons, carry weight which is important for armor, affects stamina depletion), vitality (affects stamina pool and recharge speed, grants a perk on level 12 which heals you slowly outside of combat), agility (affects one-handed swords and bows and movement speed).

10.Potions and consummables: unless you’re planning on getting in a fight, these are useless, as you can’t use any in a fight. You could try to experiment with popping a healing potion, an stamina potion (buck’s blood) and a vitality potion (50% damage resistance) before combat, but if you ask me it’s better to just avoid being hit with heavy and pointy objects.

For all those who claim the game isn’t meant as a superhero simulator:

The third quest in the “Interlopers” activity tasks you with clearing out a camp of bandits. The camp contains 8 various specimen raging from “rag tag bandit” to “generic unwashed bandit” to “renegade soldier type kick ass bandit”. It’s obviously a quest meant for characters oriented in killing (whether melee, range or stealth). You’re supposed to kill them all (or at least the leader who’s always the strongest), and you can kill them all.

For all those who TL;DR: git gud, don’t get shot, don’t get surrounded and mind that neither the enemies nor their AI plays fair.

5 Likes

Was wondering about that. Confirms a suspicion.

During the mayhem in the Talmberg inner bailey, I think I learned what really bothers me about auto lock: it moves your feet. I tried to stand still but focus on one guy. That guy moved and pulled me deeper into the inner bailey exposing my flanks to the C. I didn’t push the joystick forward. And, unlock in a target rich space isn’t that useful

SO because there’s eight bandits that means this is a superhero simulator? you know you can sneak in poison their wine, stealth and do it different ways than being john rambo, right? :joy:

Or you can git gud and kill them in melee as I did several times. Just because the game allows you to take different approaches it doesn’t mean melee combat shouldn’t be an option.

Historically a man-at-arms encased in full plate had to either be run through by a lance from a mounted knight, be knocked down and stabbes between the plates , be shot with armor-piercing arrows or bolts or be clubbed to death with a mace or a pick. It’s not like you can poke holes in plate armor with a sword.

The description above matches the melee playstyle I recommend for fighting multiple opponents. You may not like it, but it doesn’t make it any less plausible.

You can try to disengage auto lock (sprint button) whenever it bothers you during combat.

methinks your taking the piss just for shits and giggles. you been watching too many batman movies if you think that’s how a knight would deal with eight enemies. jesus lol

Two things about target dense battlefield: (1) you disengage but the game then re-auto locks (end result no dif), (2) unlock doesn’t help avoid the tactical damage of being drawn in because it’s too late (pulled in too quick to unlock) or too early (disable targeting on target)