Terrible swordsman

In the month I have had this game, I have only successfully executed one combo. Don’t laugh. That’s mostly why I built such an OP stealth/assassin character.
What tips do you guys have for laying out the perfect combo? Is it tempo? Speed? Luck? Lemme know in the comments.

you just have to keep practicing, i know it sounds like a daunting task but it does take a lot of time to get good at combos
i have played 258 hours of KCD and probably another 100-150 offline and have only been comboing successfully in the last 100 hours or so
just pick one very simple combo, i suggest the blunt strike, and repeat it over and over

1 Like

nopink is right. practice makes perfect. if you want to git gud, i’d practice the combos on the Pribyslavitz veteran.

personally, I don’t use them much. among ~3-4K kills (avid groschen farmer :wink:), have a 100 or less combos credited.

when i melee, it’s often 2-3 vs 1. to me, combos expose me to being outflanked

1 Like

Valid points

yes, if you are going up against more than 2 opponents its wise to not combo too much

1 Like

AND something that made problem to me - read well the description of combos. Because some sword combos can be done only with longsword, some only with one handed sword, some require shield, some must be done without shield. If your equipment is different than what combo requires, you will do only basic strikes and there will be no combo “finisher”.

Yes, its only training, training and training…
You need to get some feeling for the system

Yeah, no Street Fighter finishers

Ideally combos would be more situational. If enemy does action X and you time it right, you can execute combo Y for effect

And also no fatality. But I will try to live with it.

I find always there is more than one opponent and so combos have limited use - for me.

So, as I’ve been grinding away of the combo game I’ve learned a few things.
1)when the first hit successfully lands, the succeeding zone will flash white. I think I need to hit it at that moment, like a QTE.
2)if the enemy has a shield and your hits are landing on the shield, that’s okay: as long as the sequence completes, the OP finisher will bypass their defense.
3)only repostes and dodges will cancel the combo chain.
I’m still not good at it and I’m certainly not getting them out on purpose moreso than statistically. But I’m learning.
PS. I know about the longsword/shortsword requirements, as well. I’m building a strictly shortsword stabber, with a Needle and no shield. My goal is to be the epitome of a black masked one handed swordfighter.

One thing to bear in mind is that executing combos, even if you perform the strikes in the appropriate sequence, largely depends upon the performance of your computer. This also applies to ripostes. The timing for both ripostes and combos is very critical, as it’s a fairly small window. If your machine is running lower than 40 FPS, you’re almost certainly going to get the timing wrong, and pulling off a riposte or a combo is going to be difficult. It’s worse in the case of combos, as you have to execute a string of perfectly timed blows, all while trying to avoid being hit by yourself, and while your opponent often counters half of your attacks anyway.

For me, it’s an unused mechanic. Enemies die in a few hits anyway, so what’s the point in pulling off some 4 hit combo with a finisher, particularly since it’s so annoying to do?

I’m one of the lower than 40 's so I swing to just hit and change up the hit points so the AI doesn’t have a chance to build a defense that would happen if you kept hitting the same place.

Fair points. Fortunately, the XBX1 and the PS4Pro handle FPS extremely well (except on max speed horses. That’s when it frame skips). And I’m on my second playthrough and am already getting kills in one hit on thieves and 2-4 hits on armored opponents. But if I’m going to be a swordsman, I gotta have my combos. For immersion. But yes, it really is annoying, like you said.

if you are going 1v1 then combos are very useful, go into a cliinch immediately then do a combo then either start the next one straight away or go into another clinch
works best if you are not encumbered

Were medieval battles in the HRE an aggregation of 1v1 fights? My understanding is no. So, WH invested a lot in a mechanic with limited utility in one of its product targets: large battles

yeah, the game is focussed on fights with more than 1 opponent but if you find a wayfairing knight, 1 man ambush or end up with 1 last bandit after a hold up then combos are a good idea
but i get what you are saying, i would like a better more fluid combat system that caters better to fighting multiple opponents. i get that warhorse wanted to create a realistic game where you get shat on if rush in like a spastic but if you are wearing heavy armour, especially against less armoured opponents then it would be nice if the combat system functioned a bit better

ironically, the NPCs act just like this. At times, they break from tactical advantage, turn their backs and then target a different NPC

1 Like

I’ve seen videos, on YouTube, from this guy that just DECIMATES an entire swarm of Cumans simply by cheesing all the combos. Unfortunately, the author is terrible at breaking down his formula. But, if you master the combo, you can control the firld of battle- which is my goal.