The Henry's box of sand or Why do you like "open worlds"?

Judging by his previous work, Dan Vávra likes a story driven game (and especially a quality storytelling based on a good cut scene mic-en-scene) but he also dislikes the “corridor” world and level design (KOTOR, Mass Effect, Witcher etc.) and wants to offer the player a considerable freedom of action. All of us probably hope this time he would succeed and the open world + story intercourse will bring beautiful fruits of love for us to enjoy.
Admittedly having a idea of possible mod (probably even more story driven than the actual game in the unlikely event of actually happening - being definitely too ambitious) in my hopeless mind and being in general interested in the game design I would be pleased to know your opinion of open world type games. What is important for you and why do you prefer / like open world type games? Do you like the possibility of playing different kind of characters? (E.g. Bethesda’s games, not possible in Witcher 3 or KCD.) Do you like the exploring of the game world and possible survival aspect? Do you like the world to live its own life independent of the player’s actions? Do you like the possible freedom of choice? (E.g. being able to choose which quest you want to accept.) Do you like the possible freedom of the quest solution? (E.g. being able to take sides.) And what would you sacrifice in order to enjoy a good story?

Thanks for your opinion.

Open world and RPG Story disabled something, I mean. The story gives me before storylines to win the game. In contrast, when a number of objectives are defined (or even can be called) and I must try my successful story line itself. Am I on the right track, I crochet me to the (or a) along story. At most.
Not a game without rules. These are defined by terain, opponents, time limit, era, degree of realism, etc… Within these rules, but everything should be as long as playable until you come into contact with one of the rules of the game. Tasks / quests, in the ideal case of necessities of himself and of course, be recognized by the player because they bring him advantages. So if story, then subtle and well camouflaged …:wink:

I actually don’t like open world that much, at least not the seamless version.

For many games a modular approach is way more fitting imo. Especially for every story-heavy game.

[quote=“tunak, post:1, topic:18548”]
Do you like the possibility of playing different kind of characters? (E.g. Bethesda’s games, not possible in Witcher 3 or KCD.)[/quote]
No, not really. At least not if the player character is well written and presented.

Yes and no. I think exploration is nice but I don’t enjoy survival that much myself.

In theory, yes. It’s just that I don’t know any game which simulates that properly…

Yes, of course. Isn’t that one of the core reasons why people enjoy every type or RPG? I don’t think that has much to do with open world (only if you define “linear game” as antithesis of “open world” but that would stretch the latter term too far imo…)

Same as above: of course.

Almost everything. A good story can safe almost every game for me. But every game can be fucked up by delivering a bad story. Most games are not only “toys” for me (especially not RPGs), but proper entertainment. A well written and presented story is key to deliver entertaining value to me.

1 Like

I like roleplaying. Wandering around, being able to explore.
I hate being confined.

That’s all.

Prime examples for this:
Gothic series
Wing Commander Privateer
GTA

But it’s also ok when there are various districts to explore that are not too confined. After all, every map has to be confined at some point.

For example The Dark Eye: Drakensang or Venetica or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or the Witcher series. They are pretty open world, too, after all. It’s just not that all is on one map.

Gothic 3 might be the best example for this:
I like games that feature one seamless map for the transitions between areas. If they are done well that’s just an awesome feature.

What I hate are arbitrary boundaries that simply don’t make sense. Far Cry 2 for example does suffer this fate: it’s completely open and you can travel where you want, BUT: some places of the map are fenced off with invisible walls. That sucks. (Far Cry 2 is still a great game, I just hate when I run into invisible walls).

Or in older games that used city settings and had put up arbitrary barriers everywhere. It’s one thing to fence off a street with a saw horse you can’t run down with a tank and shutting off bridges like in GTA - which is still arbitrary but at least somehow explained.

Love the freedom of open world. Found the Witcher story to be good, but too much on rails.
I like to live as ME in games, a strong story is good, but to feel as if this is MY world is most important to me.

1 Like

Character creation is fun but i don’t see the point in multiple character backround if the game than ignores them like in Bethesta games.

1 Like

Story always prevails for me. For example if there wasn’t any decent plot in GTA V, I wouldn’t play it, no matter how brilliant Los Santos is. So for me it’s important to maintain logic and common sense in every element of the story, when it happens in open world. For example in Skyrim player can be the thief, the Archmage, the assassin and whatever at the same time, which appears quite schizophrenic to me. The only hard choise the player makes there is to pick a side in the civil war. And after it ends nothing changes (to keep the world open I guess). It pity to see things like that, but that’s how it is: development time and budget are limited (talent is often limited as well).

Why do you prefer/like Open World games?

On a very basic level, Open World games offer exploration and great non-linearity. The first is important to me because I am an explorer at heart: I simply love just striking out and see what happens. Being unbound, doing what I feel like, not what the game dictates. The second is important for replayability: What will happen if I choose X instead of Y? Can I do A without locking out B? How does the environment react to those changes?

Do you like the the possibility of playing different kinds of character?

I think it is important to be precise about what “character” means. I would suggest “Personality” and “Class/Skills” as two basic distinctions. Example: ME’s Shepard can be played in two distinct “Personalities” (though they share a lot of traits), but has a lot more options when it comes to class (Soldier, Vanguard, Adept etc.).
I like it when a character has a strong, well-defined personality, and I do not mind having only one to choose from, as long as it fits and improves the narrative. In fact, I prefer it to the easily replaceable AFGNCAAP (Ageless-Faceless-Gender-Neutral-Culturally-Ambiguous-Adventure-Person) because a strong main character enables a better narrative. The AFGNCAAP on the other hand enables more freedom on the player’s decisions which also has its upsides.
Of course, best of both worlds (but very hard to do) are characters that shape the narrative from the player’s decisions.
When it comes to different Classes, I like having freedom - and I also prefer if the class I play impacts on the story somewhat. As @kdoman points out, it’s really jarring when your character can be the head of all guilds in Skyrim, for example. If I play a thief, I should be “fenced in” by that decision to a degree. Which of course benefits both replayabiilty (what changes if I change class?) and a believable, consistent world.

Do you like the world to live its own life independent of the player’s actions?

Generally, I see this as a huge plus because of the immersion it builds. It can also add to replayability when things happen by AI and not by script because the randomness factor can get you vastly different outcomes in different playthroughs.
On the downside, there’s the possibility of that randomness precluding certain player actions and outcomes (such as important NPCs dying: Can be very frustrating, can also be seen as brilliant and unforeseen game alteration).

Okay, this post is already too long, I’ll cap it off here. If you want additional info, I’ll be happy to provide, though :-).
Last point, on story vs open world: I believe that the open world can be its own story, too. I do not always have to have the story arc where I am the hero saving the day. I can be plenty content just exploring and finding stories of other people in the open world. You know, hints of them in dungeons or through dialogue or so. Sometimes a single unusual item in a certain place can tell a whole story in your mind. What I find very important: the sense that your story isn’t the only one going on.

3 Likes

I love open-world games.

There are many reasons why, but primarily its the freedom of choice and immerson that they offer.

Whenever possible I like to ‘play as myself’ in games, as opposed to taking the role of another. I know this defeats the point of a role playing game for many, but to me it creates a greater sense of attachment and involvement in the game-world. So when playing KC:D as Henry the decisions that I’ll make will be those that I believe I’d have made myself if I were living as him at that time, or if you’d rather ‘he was me.’ Obviously the stronger the character is in a story the more difficult that becomes as you as the player have less control, but I think we’re going to be given a good amount of freedom here.

A traditional story based game is more like a movie IMO; they can still be great and immersive (Mafia for e.g.), but there’s not the same sense that you’re really living in that world. Going off the beaten path and making my own story - That’s what I want. I want to really feel as though I’m living in this other universe and that can only really be achieved for me with an open world experience. In Skyrim or Fallout for e.g. you wake up and think, “Well then, what shall I do today?” or you can at least. Even when pursuing a ‘main quest’ how you do so is completely up to you. Once updated with realism mods and a more natural timescale these games provide a great feeling of involvement and interacting with their world in a relatively natural manner becomes second nature (if you allow it to be, some find this a bit nerdy and would prefer to ‘game’ the game, but not me :smile: ).

The quests and story arcs in open-world games are often criticised for being a bit bland, but I can live with that because everything around them is down to my choices and therefore is both personal and matters more. To put what I mean in perspective but with another genre, imagine a level based strategy game depicting the fall of Rome with impressive cutscenes between each ‘level’ and superb graphics when playing; all leading towards to final ‘level’ of taking the city itself - A bombastic experience (SP CoD or SP Battlefield would be a good FPS reference here). That’s all well and good, but I’d much rather be playing a Total War game where I can choose to start out as a small barbarian faction and through my actions, both strategic and tactical, the entire process is of my doing; my choices, my management, my diplomacy and thus my victories and defeats. If and when I should reach Rome, it’s because I got there myself. Who knows what could happen en route to that goal, maybe I’d even make peace with the Romans and help them protect their ancient city! Each and every battle is important, not because I’m being told that’s the case through a cutscene, same as every other player who’s playing the game, but because that’s my army, my territory and my nation - It’s personal.

It’s the exact same thing from a first person perspective; my character, my skills, my weapons and armour; playing the game in my way. Are you honest, good, bad, a mix of both maybe? Strong, agile, sneaky, good with words? Did you come by road during the day, or the forest at night? Totally up to you and the important thing is that these choices aren’t just dictated through a series of dialogue boxes at set points during the story, but in how you play the game itself.

Sure graphics are important, particularly for immersion, but I want all those resources poured into the world and not into pre-defined cutscenes - Make me believe it because it’s there in front of my eyes and not because you’re telling me so. I don’t want to walk through a series of beautifully constructed movie sets with no backs to them, like connected shoe boxes or corridors. Led by the hand by the design team, going from trigger volume to trigger volume and experiencing the exact same ‘movie’ as everyone else with no real choice or consequence to my actions.

One last thing; emergent game-play. I’ll finish with a short story from GTA3 which I played a long time ago: One mission I had to kill a guy selling food at a stand in a pedestrian area (no vehicle access). As I approached he ran and I pursued. He got into a car, I ‘jacked’ one and followed (not playing as myself here BTW :stuck_out_tongue:). There was a long and fun chase across most of the town, eventually I managed to ram his car onto its side. He got out and started running again; I reversed and floored it, tyres screeching - “I’ll run him down,” I thought. Ahead was a pedestrian area, bollarded off from vehicles. It was going to be a close call; would he make it before I caught him… He was looking over his shoulder as he ran. With only a split second to spare he passed the bollards as my car crashed into them at top speed. I wasn’t killed; through badly wounded and the car totalled. He continued running, still looking behind him - I would not catch him now and we both knew it. There was a small road beyond the pedestrian area and as he ran across it, still looking back, an AI car hit him side on at high speed - The brakes squealed, but it was too late - I watched as he went flying and landed dead in a heap - Mission Complete! This was pure emergent game-play and one small inconsequential mission that I’ll always remember over many of the bigger ones.

So, after that long ramble I suppose my conclusion as to why I love open world games is this:

Immersion - Huge world to explore, day/night/weather cycles, realistic-feeling experience of ‘being there.’

Freedom and player choice - The ability to do what you like not only connects you to the world, but makes the game-play interesting and personal.

Personal experience and variety - You may not think it, but the small act of the way you get from A to B and the time of day and weather give a real sense of richness to the world and these things (in combination with many other variables) make the experience unique and personal.

Emergent gameplay - The three items listed above allow for your own stories and game-play. Getting ‘sidelined’ or things not turning out how they ‘should’ is a real pleasure.

All of these things feed into and strengthen one another. For me personally the future of the FPS is open-world games; they’re the ones which truly excite me.

2 Likes

That’s the very reason why I kind of hate seamless open world.

I want to be entertained - not to entertain myself.

1 Like

Open worlds are great, but in a conflict with RPG-storylines.
If you can do whatever you want all the time, then there is no real “hook” that makes the story believeable and forces the player to do what his character would do.
On the opposite, it can be very annoying to follow a pre-defined path without seeing the rest of the world.

Imho games shouldn’t resolve around the player. Instead certain events are going to happen at certain times. If the player wants to become part of it he’ll has to be there. Maybe he could also change the course of events causing a branching story.
Sounds pretty complicated, eh? Well, there’s a team out there that is really trying to achieve something like that:

They’re still in very early pre-alpha development, but it looks promising.

Thank you all for you time and your frank and sage answers.

I will not delve too far, but there are obviously two camps. Some love the total freedom of play, the others want to be guided in any way.
Was at M & B at the time the phenomenon, many were overwhelmed by the freedom of the game. (Where freedom was only a very small yes)
Probably a sandbox would be perfect, the two groups of players will meet. This would determine the game at the beginning, to which camp the player tends.

For me to be ‘entertained’ I need to feel that I have control and freedom; I don’t want to be handheld and shoved down a pretty, but paper thin corridor. To me that’s not interesting at all; to me it feels constricted and not truly living up to the capabilities of the medium. One of the very great things about games is that you can create your own story; we have the cinema and TV if we just want to watch and listen to another’s story and competitive gaming for pure skill (not saying that the two can’t be mixed of course), but only ‘open’ games give us the power to really ‘do what we want’ and ‘make our own choices.’

Here’s a game specific example of ‘freedom’ - Going back a while we have Hidden and Dangerous 2; a fantastic game with a linear level structure (in terms of progression from one scenario to another), but open game-play within each and equipment carried over between them. Some of the levels would take me ages to complete as I played on a hard difficulty with limited saves and took the game pretty seriously. As the levels were open and the AI was good, you could play them again and again; it was always interesting, always tense and made you think. I remember taking out a tank in one level. I had to plan what I was doing carefully and it took about 45 mins of nail biting maneuvering, but I got into position and made it, and later went on to finish the mission with sweaty palms - None of this was scripted, but it was both memorable and satisfying; my plan had worked and I’d executed it well. Compare that to CoD (any of them will do :smile:) where you’re led by the hand with canned explosions going off either side of you, trigger volume to trigger volume, cutscene to cutscene, whack-a-mole. I don’t care how good they make it look; to me it’s dull as dishwater. I took out plenty of tanks in CoD, planes too; it was like a shooting gallery and it meant nothing at all. You die, re-spawn, continue; blat, blat, blat… yawn, yawn, yawn…

When I say it’s “great when things don’t go to plan,” what I mean is this: Basically I will never reload a save if I’ve had a bad outcome from a fight. This then leaves me in a sticky situation where I’m low on ammo/health or whatever and have to change how I play in order to survive. This ‘changing how I play,’ which might mean getting by with just a pistol, or sneaking out of an enemy camp to return another day, is so much more interesting and satisfying than just reloading and changing on regardless. In non open-wold/linear games there’s none of these options or they are very limited; it’s just one long conveyor to the end.

As to emergent game-play, see my GTA story above. Not only is emergent stuff fun, but there’s something to be said about it being unique to you. IMO the CoD-style scripted set-up really cheapens the experience, it’s almost as though the whole thing is a series of QTEs from start to finish (OK, not quite that bad, but hopefully you get my point :P). I’m not involved, not in control and am just getting through the story; click, click, click…

Sure there are many games which tread the line between the two, but if I can’t make my own (meaningful) decisions I feel like I’m watching a movie and most of the time it’s not even a very good one. To be clear, it’s not like I hate all linear games; I loved the Mafia series (semi open-world), enjoy Max Payne a lot and have Alien Isolation ready to play soon too, but I just don’t find the linear experience nearly as interesting as the open-world stuff and as time goes on I find that to be more and more the case.

Basically a well done, linear, heavily story-based game makes me feel like I’m getting cinematic movie-style experience whereas a good open-world game gives me much more of a ‘holodeck’ experience, i.e. a feeling of really being there. As said, we already have movies and TV for the cinematic, but only games can provide the holodeck ;). For me, games are a portal into another world and when I’m there I want full freedom to explore that world. As time goes on and AI and systems become more and more advanced the open-world game will, IMO, become more and more interesting and exciting whereas the linear game will just look better whilst remaining the same tired experience.

As an aside, I hate watching people play open-world games and hearing them say “What do I do now?” or worse “Where am I meant to go?”

3 Likes

I would argue CoD is probably quite an extreme case of totally pre-scripted “movie-like-would-like-to-be” shooter. And it definitely is not “story based” - I would rather call it “constant attraction based” - because for CoD games and players the story is secondary at best. Max Payne and Mafia (great stories and characters and - at least for their time - absurdly good narrative framing which pull you into the game) are I suppose great examples of story based linear level design games but Mafia allows you to enjoy a bit of your emergent game-play also (being a quasi open world + closed gameplay experience). :slight_smile:

Well said. Then again isn’t it quite boring to enjoy open game that lacks a good story as a raison d’etre? Would you prefer an absolutely open world - sandbox - to an as much as possible open world based on a strong story and characters? I mean a world that don’t force you to follow the main quest line but allows you to do?

oh yes, this game dreaming million player for a long time (including me) However, this only works as a simulation, with a historical starting point and a gigantic KI - a huge project AAAAA
Only too big probably for a developer. It requires an alliance and a lot of research, imagination and above all, money. If you approach it as a kit and first combined the already existing members from 30 years gaming history makes sense, that would be the first step. Unfortunately, the game developers are not ready / ready for it to tackle this huge task. It seems to me, than wait on each other, only to end up with the sum of the results of the large commercial litter. In this project, but the path must be the goal.
My hope is therefore indie projects which approach this goal, after all.
And as for the commercial success of such a project: divide and conquer :slight_smile:

That’s very much a problem of empathy and how you personally are engaged in video games. It depends on whether you play games with more cognitive or more emotional empathy. It’s the basic question whether you “be” or whether you “care”.

Sandbox and open world games are mostly for people with high cognitive empathy. They want to be the games characters. They want to “live” in the gaming world themselves. If they can lose their real life identity while gaming and become that character ingame they feel perfect immersion.

But there are also those people like me with apparently more emotional empathy involved while gaming. I don’t become the player character but I care about him. I guide him and try to protect him. It’s not me though. Perfect immersion here is something else than for people with more cognitive empathy involved. It’s more about well-done storytelling that puts the player character in believable situations in which I - as the gamer playing the game - can guide my character. Open world and sandbox is here more counterproductive if there isn’t a given goal for the character. The problem is that emergent gameplay in the way of “I make my own goals” only work properly if you as a player want to become the ingame character ingame. That doesn’t work very well for people who like to care about the ingame character.

When you tell me that a "linear experience only look better while remaining the “same tired experience” you haven’t understood the very reason why I want to play such a game - even more so: you can’t understand it before you don’t acknoledge that we don’t play and mentaly and emotionally capture games in the same way.

You compare linear games (with linearity being a wide field here, just to notice) to movies and TV shows but you missed one important point here: player engagement. It’s something completely different if you have to power to do things or if you only watch it. The problem with empathy remains. I understand that you might feel disconected while playing a linear game that doesn’t reflect what you personally might do in a given situation. But for someone who isn’t the character himself and just cares about him this is a very different situation.

So I think you should be careful with labeling stuff “tired” just because you personally don’t like that form of experience. I also think that you might thing of a too extreme linearity here. Not everything that isn’t open world is another CoD. There is a lot of space in between. Modular game worlds (e.g. Witcher 2, Baldurs Gate,…) are a good example of having elements of both.

These are very likely people with a high level of emotional empathy playing open world games. There is no reason to hate them. You should instead understand that variety is good and that not everyone is really happy with total freedom in games. It’s not like open world or sandbox were the crown achievement of game design. It’s just the extreme design vision to please people with a high level of cognitive empathy.

If you want to know more about this stuff I recommend reading this article here: http://www.theastronauts.com/2013/11/empathy-game-design-people-like-beyond-two-souls/

1 Like

Hi guys, thanks for your responses - Good stuff ;).

I’ll try and keep this one short. Lord Crash, yes you are right about the way I play games and I understand your viewpoint, though it’s not for me. I’ve never had any interest in licensed games such as Batman and so on for for that exact reason (I don’t want to be Batman :)), but I get that they are popular and understand that many do like them.

I also get that they the differ from a movie by being interactive, but with a strong pre-defined character and relatively inflexible story they also offer fewer choices when compared to more open-world titles and therefor are closer to movies than their open-world counterparts (which are more interactive). Aside from the immersion aspect, an open-world game offers more to me from a game-play standpoint (see the H&D 2 e.g. and that’s not even a ‘true’ open-world game). Plus they often reward me more for using my intelligence than a linear story based game and give me far more varied options to deal with any encounter.

Couple of OTT examples:

The open-world philosophy for breaking into a room in a base: Model the entire base + setup good AI routines. Allow the player to freely choose his path, equipment and time of ‘attack.’ Shoot his way in, talk his way in, or a bit of both. Usually in first person for maximum immersion.

The story-focused philosophy for breaking into a room in a base: One route is planned, with possibly a couple of branches. Heavily scripted events play along the ‘corridor’ as the player progresses to build tension. AI is scripted for maximum ‘cinematic’ effect. Weapon load-out and time of day/weather restricted to both match the story setting and not break the scripted game-play. Shooting or talking as approaches are both handled by the game, no player choice. Third person is the usual viewpoint in order to show off ‘how cool’ your character looks, plus empathise with him/her.

(these two examples would be extremes, often there is an amount of crossover; though if you compare H&D2 to CoD they’re pretty accurate, barring the ‘talk your way in’ and ‘third person’ parts).

Reason why I used CoD as an example is as when taken to extremes, freedom of player choice is often seen as compromising the intensity of the story - Hence why so called ‘story’ based games are linear, heavily scripted and allow little real freedom. I personally find this type of game-play boring for the reasons previously mentioned. I call it ‘tired’ as it’s how games have been for a while and to me things have moved on since then - Just my opinion/preference. So even if I am playing as Batman, I want to choose what to do and when to do it; the linear story based game doesn’t allow that and so to me is less of a ‘game.’ I also have zero interest in games such as Tomb Raider or The Last of Us. I watched a Let’s Play of ‘The Walking Dead’ by Zemalf (whose other videos I really enjoy, great YouTuber BTW) but the ‘game’ left me totally cold, whereas I know many rave about it. These sort of games are not for me (not played TR or TLOU to be fair though).

I also much prefer first person over third, for the very reasons you pointed out - I feel more immersed in the game-world (plus it’s generally much better for shooters).

I understand that there’s plenty of middle ground between the two camps, certainly, and as I say there are some story based games which I like, though often ultimately the lack of control/freedom leaves me frustrated at some point. For me though I want to see the characters fleshed out more in the open-world environments (with more believable systems and reactions to the player’s actions) as opposed to a bit more openness to the linear games.

I said I hate hearing the “What am I meant to do now?” line as to me it’s often spoken by people who want to be led by the hand through a game and this isn’t a direction I personally want to see game design take. For 1: There are plenty of these games already and have been for years, 2: Player choice is what games are about IMO, I hate the some people don’t want that, and 3: It’s much harder to make this type of game and I find it frustrating when people don’t seem to, IMO, ‘get it.’

Finally, I can accept that in having to cope with so many variables open-world games are often lacking a bit in terms of story delivery (only so much budget and time to flesh out all the possibilities), but given all the choices I have at my disposal whilst actually playing the game, I’m OK to fill in the spaces myself. This is the sort of stuff I expect to improve with time. To mention the ‘tired’ topic again; not only does it seem like an older type of game design to me, but it’s one which I’ve become tired of personally. For e.g. I loved Half-Life 2 when it came out and whilst I’m still 100% behind Valve’s approach of keeping the player always in control and not having cut-scenes (wish it was the case for KC:D), I now want more from a game than just an on rails roller-coaster ride. I also can’t help but see scripted events as a cheap trick these days; if something’s happened and it’s totally unscripted/emergent than it seems a lot more real to me, and thus I feel much more satisfied when I emerge from the situation victorious ;).

I played a good few hours of the Witcher 2 (30+) and generally enjoyed it (I mean to return when I have more time…), but nowhere near as much as Skyrim or Fallout. Quite looking forward to the third Witcher, obviously it’s a lot more of an open-world this time ;). Another thing that might be of interest is the number of hours many of us open-world ‘fan-boys’ put into these games with the same save, for e.g. I have over 500 hours in Fallout NV and 600+ in Skyrim (still counting…). Obviously the linear titles are much less; Max Payne 3, completed, is at 21 for e.g. Also, it’s not just first person games where I prefer this freedom and player choice approach over story telling; I’m also a big fan of Total War, Civilization, Hidden and Dangerous 2, XCOM, Elite Dangerous (hopefully, fingers crossed!) and a number of hardcore flight sims, all of which promote the player’s own story, skill and freedom over a pre-defined path (XCOM maybe less so from the bunch mentioned).

I’m looking forward to playing Alien Isolation (which I presume is v. heavy on the story, though taking a different approach), but want to set aside a full evening for it and not got the time ATM… Soon… :wink:

Looks like I failed to keep it short - Sorry!

1 Like

Interesting theory (and I mean that sincerely, not in a facetious way). I generally want to be immersed in my games, but I don not want to be the player character. It’s more me and him/her teaming up to explore the world.
The reason I dislike the purely narrative-driven approach is the lack of variation (and following from that, lack of exploration): It does not matter how I play the game, it will always basically tell the same story, in which I am “imprisoned”, if you will. That’s okay for one or two playthroughs, but not for long-term enjoyment of a game.

Which brings me to [quote=“RGS, post:18, topic:18548”]
Another thing that might be of interest is the number of hours many of us open-world ‘fan-boys’ put into these games with the same save, for e.g. I have over 500 hours in Fallout NV and 600+ in Skyrim (still counting…).
[/quote]

I generally put many more hours into games with open/changing settings. I must have put 300+ hours into Morrowind alone, about 250 into Oblivion, and Skyrim is sitting at 296 hours and counting. New Vegas must be about 176+ hours. I do, however, frequently start with alternate characters/approaches. And all those games I don’t play for the central narrative (I usually leave it as soon as possible), but for the world. Actually, there’s a mod for Skryim where you no longer play as Dragonborn, but as a simple farmer/adventurer/trader/etc. I’ll be trying that out once I finish both big DLCs (which I haven’t touched yet…).
The original Diablo, by the way, held my interest for a very long time, too. Simply because the random dungeons afforded me so much in the way of exploration. D3, in comparison, I had enough of after playing through it one-and-a-half times (~23 hours). No randomization, no long-time motivation. Singularity logs my game time at 8 hours (completed the game). RAGE? 28 hours. Crysis? 14 hours.

Well, I never do more than two playthroughs of any game. Usually I play every (narrative) game once and that’s it. Only games I really, really like see a second playthrough by me from time to time… :smiley:

Playing a game more than twice would very likely bore me to death. Same is true for playing (endless) open world games for more than a few hours.

When I buy a game I rather have 10 hours of top notch entertainment (which means experiencing a well crafted story) than 100 hours of boring walking and killing or whatever. In my books that’s wasting time with mediocre content. I’ve played TES games a lot myself but in retrospective very little of that time was truly highly enjoyable. The rest was just more or less time killing with mediocre content and little entertainment. For me these open world games are the constant illusion of better content without really delivering on that promise. That’s especially true for TES games. You can’t stop playing for quite some time because you always think that there could be something great around the next corner: but there never is. So in retrospective I’m almost always disappointed by these kind of games (same could be said for example about newer Ubisoft open world games like AC Black Flag or Watch_Dogs)… :wink: