The Slow Combat

My problem with the lock on mechanic was that from what I’ve seen in the videos was that you are unable to defend or attack another target quickly or look in another direction, so if you get attacked by multiple combatants you A. cant see where the others are and B cant defend from them. As shown in the videos I posted of people playing the Beta was that they were unable to defend them selves at all if another combatant stepped into the view.

You are only partially correct in this case.

It really is quite hard to look around you and keep other enemies in focus - this way you get easily flanked sadly. You certainly can overcome that by very quick fingers and fast unlock/look/lock sequence or quickly scrolling through enemies - but I wont lie, its hard as fuck.

But - if you see the enemy, you are very easily able to defend against him. Your block/dodge/parry will work the same if he is locked or not.

Also: even when you don´t have enemy locked, you can hit him with your weapons. It already occured to me - when locked to enemy on my right side, I swung from left -> as the weapon went, it collided with enemy on my left side, as he was standing in blade trajectory. He never saw that coming.

All fights work like this: your weapon in game is indeed physical object, and if it collides with something, it stops moving or bounces. Works for obstacles, fences, or the other combatants.

Please tell me you are a troll.

There are no katanas in this game! Medieval European (and other non-Japanese) swords were heavier than katanas, which were light. Why are you comparing this game’s fighting to the Japanese sword fighting? And how could you make a game with this combat with five directions for attacks and combos without a lock on without it making no sense and making it look as stupid as your troll hate thread?

Thy Slow Combath (script)

You: “Thyn game sucketh! Thy combat doth be slower than katana swordfighting! Even though swords that were not katanas were much heavier and slower! And also I have studieth the marital (whoops martial) art of Aikido (why with swords though?) and I am a retired game developer (which company did you work for, I’m just curious what games you developed because I love games and maybe I can get one and congratulate you or something) Also this old Japanese fighting game “again about katana fighting” is better.”(shut up shrek the game’s better)

Every smart and non-arrogant person: “Hold din arrogante taber op”

Lad, relax, he’s just an outsider of our forum, just relax. He came to share his WRONG thoughts. Let him be in his own “perfect” game dev world. :wink::ok_hand:

1 Like

Whoops I didnt read all the comments and I just wrote a whole reply saying that your post is stupid but, hey, glad you changed your mind. Aikido sounds fun to study. I’ve always wanted to study a martial art

Did you like my play script though? I’m thinking of taking it to broadway!

1 Like

Just 13/10. I’ll play with it only at release, ha-ha. :sweat_smile:

Let’s be better than him. Just let him be, as i said many times before. He shared his thoughts, ok, we showed him the world - he denied. Don’t waste your time on such things. :wink:

1 Like

Personally I do accept your thoughts DaMuncha but I don’t share them. In a last interview Tobi the head developer stated that game world is around 16 square kilometers, and I don’t know you but for me they are a lot. You seem to like Aikido combat in which you’re quite an expert but Aikido and european combat style are very different things as you may know. All aikido combatants (or samurais alike) are also trained in martial arts, and they translate that to combat with katanas which requires fast speed movement and in order to achieve that they must wear light armors. European style fighting tactics put all the focus on the pure strenght and for a reason too. A common medieval sword weights about 1,2 times of a katana, a two handed weapons almost 3 times, and a full set of plate armor (including gambeson and chain mail) can weight almost 2 times the armor of an asian fighter. They are two very different “philosophy” which are based on different attributes and tactics as well. By the way I never saw a knight fight against a samurai, and the idea of having FINALLY a game with no fantasy stuffs or supernatural combat skills, just thrilled me, not because I hate those kind of games, but it’s just that there are way too many of them. And as ironic can be they lack of originality, originality that is brought back by an almost genuine medieval RPG like KCD is.
I hope I made my point. Perhaps you will try the game and have fun with it.

Tfw people do your job for you.

5 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like

ahaha funnyyyy :joy:

Am confused… is this authentic or really elaborate trolling?

Well see it as you like. If you think that I am trolling then go on and muck me, otherwise check my answer and see if I wrote some nonsense, and in that case let me know if you find it.

European swords are NOT heavy. Historical specimen of single handed european swords are usually quite a bit lighter. The hand-and-a-half typical european late medieval long-sword, tends to be still a bit lighter than the katana, and is even longer.

Contrary to hollywood believe, katanas were not magicall super light unbreakable weapons, and european swords were not clunky bars of crudely hammered iron.

Well either way, katanas are still lighter, right? I’m sure European swords are still pretty heavy, maybe just not as heavy as many would think.

Nope. Last time I went through weights and dimensions of actual historical ones, euros were still lighter. But depending on what lists of weights you cite, it’s barely noticeable, or more like a draw.

Thing is, a single handed european sword on average is a bit shorter than a Katana, so it is no surprise it is lighter.

But, the katana is a weapon with a long handle, that is usually used with two hands, but can for some purposes be used single handedly.
The equivalent to that in europe, would be the archetypical longsword, or sword of a hand-and-a-half.
European longswords tend to be a little bit longer than katana, BUT on average are still about equal in weight.

Basically, the weight of swords comes down to human anatomy and biomechanics, and a certain weight range overall has proven itself to be usefull for swords for human use, likewise some vague ideas of length of certain categories of swords.

But there is some influence of the materials available. And the japanese had the bad luck of being stuck on an island with very poor quality ore. The much fames folding of the japanese steel was not thousenfold to make it magically strong, but instead a few dozen times at best, to work out impurities.
Getting decent steel was extremely difficult in japan, and so they stuck to complex build ups of blades of diffrent sorts of steel, to not waste the very precious good steel. Also, the particular resources available meant they could harden their quality steel, but it tended to be brittle.
So as to be economic with the good steel and to have blade that would not easily shatter or break, they put together soft iron spine and an edge of steel, with the very edge only being differentially hardened.
Partially because of this, they ended up with a blade that does not have too dramati distal taper and is relatively thick still near the point. And thick means heavy.
Not dramatically, but a little bit.
The europeans had the luck of sitting on rather decent ore and by the high medieval times had figured out the production of reasonably good steel. steel, that would not only not tend to become brittle when hardened, but was relatively affordable. So they just made the whole blade out of the very same steel, and hardened and quenched the whole darn sword. The complete thing was, if all went right, essentially a spring.

The hardness was not as high as the edge of a typical katana, so edge retention during use usually was better with a katana, but a flexible mono-steel blade of springsteel neither was as suceptible to bits of the very edge craching and shattering away, nor to bending the blade, as the soft-spined katanas of hist. construction were liable to do, if a cut went wrong.
And as a bonus of that, the europeans managed to get away with slightly longer blades.

Sadly enough, though, many cheap replicas of swords are just plainly too heavy nowadays.

RPG and book authors etc havent helped by throwing around bullocks weight etc.

Basically, smiths in diffrent parts of the world used incredible skill to make the best weapons they could out of the materials available, and some mighty fine weapons they made. their cultures and the specific needs and goals lead to the weapons being diffrent.

But the idea of the european sword being a bruteish, heavy club, is wrong.

5 Likes

I have a longsword which weighs 1.5 kg.

Are you a historian? Because it sounds like you’re a historian. Please tell me you’re a historian.