To score a 10 out of 10, what does WH need to do to KCD?

There’s been a lot of progress/improvement in KCD since release. That said, it’s not yet perfect. What would it take to get there?

It seems some are still experiencing an occasional gamebreaking bug. Those bugs obviously need to be fixed. Beyond that, there’s not a whole lot. So what’s left? (To me, the ashes/hardcore DLC have potential move KCD up to ~8.5)

Graphics? The pop-ins and rain (Missile Command and clear sky) are distracting and silly but aren’t functional so fixing them will undoubtedly improve the game but doing so won’t advance the game much towards a 10.

Design elements? Yes, absolutely.

Squad tactics and formation. NPCs act largely as individuals. And while that’s perfectly fine with bandits, soldiers should behave differently. Cavalry, infantry and ranged squads should fight as a team (form a line, etc) within which Henry can participate. Adding this element would be transcendent. Without it, it’s a bit like playing an ancient Greece game covering the Battle of Leuctra in which the Spartans and Thebans fight as masses of soldiers instead of phalanxes (trying to break/outflank lines.).

Units. Daniel mentioned limitations preventing the implementation of mounted units. Until these barriers are overcome, not having mounted Cuman (beyond Run quest) is a fundamental disappointment. It’s akin to the Soviets not having T-34s at the Battle of Prokhorovka.

Weapons. Crossbows, polearms, and maybe hand cannons. Again, there are/were technical issues. Not having the full suite of weapons used at the time isn’t a huge deal but it keeps KCD from perfection. [Not having crossbows and hand cannons as part of Hussite war carts/wagons (potential future game) would be a huge deal.]

Dynamic events. It’s nuance but having marauding bands of Cuman and bandits would add a much needed sense of instability. Having these bands attack the restarted settlement of Pribyslavitz would be a great confluence of play elements.

3 Likes

Which platform are you?
I´m on (a high level) PC and there is no problem like pop-ins and rain…

Is is for me a 9,1,… not counting the (few) bugs, at the moment.
And yes, there is room for improvement…, but the big(!!!) plus is the fun to play the game… :slight_smile:

What i know so far about “From the Ashes” is nice, but nothing what will rise my number. (Don´t get me wrong, I will buy it full price, asap…) :wink:

1 Like

PS4 … light rain is ok now but the heavy stuff is more pixilated than Missile Command. funny thing is when the game was launched i showed some gameplay to someone. it was raining heavily and the persion said the rain looked great. fast forward to this week. the same person said ‘that looks ugly. what did they do?’

the pop-ins are primarily impacting the vendor stalls, bridges, and NPC layered clothing and heads. i’m only bothered by it when Jenda gets hung up on something invisible. fortunately, it has never impacted combat or quest completion. so, this is tolerable.

with a litte better finishing and efficiency, KCD can go from the 3 Lions to Die Mannschaft :roll_eyes::rofl:

2 Likes

I’d add mod tools for PC users. But since WH has no interest or desire supporting console mods, I’ve excluded it.

First off, it needs to be polished, fully playable, though graphics might be only fixed by different next generation hardware. I simply can not tweak it. Invisible NPC, pop in textures, endless loading, finishable quests, T NPCs in cutscenes, blind NPCs, closed bushes and other tight spots (I got stuck few times causing me to reload).
Now is coming DLC to deal with useless load of saved Groschen.
If they implemented horseback locked combat somehow would be great. Because killing bandit leader is easier than wild boar.

I bought it for the PS4 and I would give initial release a 7. Then I bought it for the PC for upgraded performance and mods. Initially an 8 but now a 9.

I feel confident that once all of the DLC and official mod support comes in, then it will be a very solid 10.

Squad formations and hand cannons? Dude you´re in the wrong time :smiley: They had tactics and formations in ancient Rome but knights never fought in formations. And firearms were used in the modern age (ca. 1510).

1 Like

It’s already a 10

That’s a silly assertion. Pikemen during medieval times were known to form lines. Some called them hedgehog formations. The Swiss pikemen (HRE during Charles IV, non?) helped carry the day at Morgarten (1315), Laupen (1339), Sempach (1386), and Granson (1476). It’s said their formation resembled the Macedonian phalanx. It’s also alleged that Landsknechte emulated them

Hand cannons were used in the Hussite Wars.

1 Like

Tobi, hákovnice se používaly u husitů, epic fail. Používaly se od začátku 15. století.

Forming a line is no formation or tactic for me. You´re right that on a battefield the pikeman stood in a line and waited for the first impact from the enemies that ran towards them. But as I said that´s no tactic for me. For me tactic is what the romans did, forming a shield wall or a tortoise, then backing up a bit and let the next legion go in front or hit from the side. But it seems that we talked past each other.

That´s correct but gunpowder was very rare and unknown in this time/region. During the siege quest Konrad Kyser talks about roquettas, bullets filled with exploding powder and you can see by the faces od Diwish, Robard and Henry that they have no clue what he is talking about. It would surprise me if there are gunpowder weapons in the next game.

This game can never receive 10/10 score the thing is according to most reviewer a game that receive perfect score should be played by all regardless of what genre they prefer.And this game is not for everybody unless they make this game more casual friendly.
That is why sports game , dark souls and etc doesn’t receive a perfect score.

1 Like

They shoud work on polishing and improving of animations for NPCs and horses+animals. They are still a bit zomboid and jerky. Most visible when objects are turning,accelerating and decelerating.

8.5…now.
9…if you return a beautiful forest and vegetation as it was in the beta version. (PC)
10…to make a minimum of bugs

1 Like

The game will never be a 10 out of 10, but it could be a 9,5 out of 10.
We need options to customize HUD, volumetric fog, beautiful forests and vegetation from the Beta, dialogs in full screen and with mouse support, physical simulated fabrics, children, almost all bugs must be fixed.

1 Like

You said i was in the wrong time and now talking past each other :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

In the 585h of game time, I’ve harvested a lot of battle spawn points: 2405 enemies killed out of which 770 were Cuman and 254 were killed with headshots. that limited experience confers some ability to assess KCD squad behaviour. Simply put, they don’t fight well as a team. This extends to the guards. They break their line almost immediately and not for any obvious strategic or tactical advantage. That lack of discipline makes them reckless and easier to kill.

One doesn’t have to buy into the ‘Carnage and Culture’^ thesis that shoulder to shoulder shock troop combat (whenever practicable) has been a hallmark of western militaries since ancient Greece to acknowledge that KCD squads fight more as individuals than teams.

Enabling (better) team fighting AI would allow KCD (as well as its DLC and mods) to have more varied and challenging simultaneous multi squad battles instead of sequential ones (as is had at Pribyslavitz and Vranik). This assumes KCD’s implementation of CryEngine can handle all the NPCs.

^ - an interesting but probably overwrought book written by classicist Victor Davis Hanson and fwiw consultant to 300

The Hussite Wars (and crossbows/hand cannons) are this region and this time period. Beyond that, let’s put this back in context. I said ‘maybe’ to hand cannons in this game. Accordingly, the core comment about weapons was in regard to polearms and crossbows. Polearms and crossbows were used and widely so. Henry can’t use polearm seamlessly, and nobody can use crossbows.

Two words: Difficulty setting.

@TechMPro @Chessqueen i find it to be visually captivating already (but I was captivated by ‘81 version of Wizardry). Not challenging, just trying to understand… why is getting the beta forest/vegetation more meaningful than tweaking combat mechanics, questing, etc?

the ragdoll kills used to annoy me.

Just some suggestions

In a tavern, you can sit at a table and order from there food and drinks and the tavernmaid brings it to you at the table and you can drink and salute and talk to other npcs.

Random events. Attacked merchants and guards say thank you to Henry and give him maybe also some Groschen. After he helped against bandits or Cumans.

See directly the effects from Henry to the reputation. Like a message. Your reputation with… raised up to…

More talk options and you can always ask your friends like Theresa, Godwin and other to do some activity, like go to the tavern, bathhouse and so on. You can repeat the activities you did with them before in quests. (Like to go for a walk with Theresa…)

If you have your own house, the possibility to put things, like shields or weapens at the wall. Put fine glasses and golden cups at the table or wardrobe to decorate your room and House.

Have npcs with horse and travelling with wagons at the countyside

And maybe too much… ask people, like miller, undertaker, lumberjack for work. And help them doing their jobs

6 Likes