To the guy who came up with lock-on

Combat in this game feels like it’s made for 1v1 fights. The few times i went against a single enemy, such as Runt, it was actually enjoyable. Meanwhile whenever i go against 3 or more enemies i get stun-locked mostly thanks to how constrictive the lock on is. And the dogs… The mother****ing dogs! Lil’ sumbitches hold you down for several seconds then dodge all strikes. It’s so frustrating…

4 Likes

yep, 1v1 its fun. not so much vs multiple

2 Likes

Git.
Gud.
Noobs.

2 Likes

i have over 3000 kills. i’m good enough. that shouldn’t preclude me or anyone else from requesting improvements in multi-unit combat in the next game.

1 Like

Getting kills isnt the problem really. But when a game mechanic forcibly interrupts your gameplay in such an extreme way, it has jack and all to do with “git gud”.

The hell am I supposed to do? Press Shift better?

2 Likes

dont press shift better, press shift smarter

there’s a mod that makes it less sticky

1 Like

That’s a start

On Nexus?

1 Like

Oh, yeah. The system in-game is bad, so i’ll just “git gud”. Seriously dude, if you have nothing constructive, relevant or useful to say why do you even bother joining the discussion?

2 Likes

all of this. I really enjoy the 1V1 combat. It makes it feel like an actual fight. Although sometimes it’s slow, and the combo system is… well it’s there but could have been fine-tuned a lot better, its still a good idea.

But multiple targets just beat you down if you can escape. God forbid you took the less speed but more stamina perk; there’s no escape (which admittedly is where MY problem came from, since I figured more stamina = outrunning enemies in the long term).

And those dogs. Those f*ck-mothering dogs. Those bastards just destroy the combat entirely. Realistic? Absolutely. Bullshit of the worst kind, the kind of reality that actually takes the fun out of the game? Ohhhh yes.

4 Likes

this is my whole point when criticizing the game’s combat system: realism is great but not at the expense of having fun

2 Likes

Gitting gud involves two parts. The first is the standard, learn to play, improve your own situational awareness, learn the mechanics. The second is Henry gitting gud, improving his stats, and choosing the right perks.

It sounds like you failed on both counts.

Sprinting is superior both in terms of running away, and chasing down enemies.

Use the bow, stealth, the horse. Any encounter is winnable.

Yes any encounter is winable, but is it fun? Maybe to you but not to others. An RPG is supposed to be designed so that you can do things in multiple ways and still have fun, thus appealing to different people who play differently to each other.
Winning a 1 v 10 IS doable, I have done it and have video’s on youtube to prove (have posted them in a recent thread of mine). But its not fun because of how janky, glitchy, uncontrollable and unbalanced it is.

1 Like

Or you could just snipe all ten guys from horseback which is grand but who wants to do this over and over for thousands of hours?

1 Like

I have a problem with this… 10 bastards can’t snuff out one blacksmith apprentice

Pretty much guilty as charged. This is wrong too. 10 guys trying to kill you should kill your horse and swarm you or run the hell away

2 Likes

1 ) “first is the standard, learn to play”
2 ) “improve your situational awareness”
3 ) “learn the mechanics”
4 ) “improving henry’s stats and perks”
5 ) “sounds like you failed on that”

You’re not incorrect about your conclusions. Sure, any situation is winnable. Sure, stealth works. And yes, the horse is great. And yes, sprinting is superior… as Ive now learned. But the logic of outrunning enemies due to better stamina is a decent call, except the enemies seemingly ALWAYS stick on you no matter what, which seems to be a gameplay issue (in other word that perk is more a debuff than a buff). A horse is awesome, if you can get to it, and on it. And Henry needs several seconds to climb the horse, during which you cant move or defend yourself, leaving yourself wide open to hits (I actually dont mind this bit, it makes sense). Stealth… well the stealth in this game doesnt work as intended now does it, so again that seems to be a gameplay issue. USe the bow, sure… when henry is above lv10 he starts to actually hit mostly what he aims at. However, the bow is still unreliable if an enemy can get to you within 5 seconds. Because Henry, believing himself to be the medieval Superman, takes FOREVER to slowly put away his bow, and SLOWLY grab his melee weapons.

However, and I need you to follow me on this one: NONE of the above actually matters IF you find yourself in combat with more than 1 opponent. The lock-in system WILL switch between targets while trying to run away. Which is the whole damn issue; the mechanic of this game ruins not only the immersion, but the enjoyment of the game itself. I dont need Henry to 1v7 a whole group of mercenaries like it’s nothing. But I want to be able to move as I see fit, and thats where the problem lies.

1 Like

Just to clarify, you can actually move while you are getting on the horse. You can even sprint while still getting on it.

As for the lock on, I’ve never had any real issues with it. If I am fighting multiple enemies I always stay unlocked so I can keep track of where everybody is. I only lock on to target if I want to attack or defend and attack. The only issue I have with the lock on, is how it sometimes unlocks by itself and you are left looking at the sky or floor, or have done a 180.

Not everyone will like the lock on, that doesn’t mean it is a design issue. Same with any other mechanic, not everyone likes them, that doesn’t mean they are bad.

As above, you can take off as soon as you start the horse mounting animation. You might have seen this done as trick riding in some movies or rodeos.

The reason you get spun around is that the enemies tackle you. It’s a game mechanic. You can do it to them too. It happens from behind, which is what would happen if you try to “run” away very slowly.

If you can’t work out how to use the bow effectively, or against more than one person, watch some videos on YouTube of people doing it. When the game first came out, the bow was more popular because it did, and still does, a lot of damage, compared to Henry with noob stats in melee.

Anyway, the system is not perfect, and it’s not going to change, but you can git gud, or at least get a little better.

The tackle mechanic does not only work from behind, as intended. An enemy can tackle you even if you are facing them so long as you are not locked onto them, you can even get tackled when trying to switch lock-ons.

2 Likes

and beyond that, you get pushed and pulled when there’s no physical contact (and when you aren’t inputting a move via keyboard/joystick)

3 Likes