To the guy who came up with lock-on

well my issue is… I cant “unlock” the lock-on. Yes, the game tells me how, except it doesn’t work longer than half a second when fighting multiple targets for me. It will unlock, and before I can do anything, lock right back on to the nearest enemy. Which is the part that kills me; the lock on just DRAGS me back into combat. Sprinting away is my only option and if I get hit even once during the turn around, it slows me down, and the lock-on IMMEDIATELY happens again, giving the enemies another second of free hits before I can unlock it and this whole BS happens again.

When the lock-on mechanic gets in the way of your gameplay, the immersion, and is a prominent reason on why you cant escape a battle (esspecially combined with certain perks), then it most definitely is a design issue, and a pretty significant one at that.

huh, Ive actually not seen this happen. Maybe I wasnt paying close enough attention to it, but generally I dont hop on a sprinting horse. Have to give that a try.

Say… someone trying to run away, but is being slowed down by a lock-on mechanic that keeps switching itself on or switching to other targets? Someone like that?

Also my god man, I understand that they tackle me, and spin me around, or clinch me. I know what they do, when they do it. Thats not the bloody issue on hand. Being put into that position in the first place by something I apparantly have minor control over, THAT is the issue.

Honestly Im no longer sure if you’re being serious or outright trolling me by avoiding the actual issue Im talking about.

Im sure the bow will deal damage, except heavily armored bandits/cumans. Fortunately I have a very strong mace and wear well-conditioned/maintained armor.

See its not my offense, or my defense. Its not my “skill” with the bow. Its not my inability to block or perfect block. Its when Im in a situation that is considered “combat” (the crossed swords) when I, unless I hold sprint, am forced into a staredown with an opponent. And ONE wouldnt be a problem. If there are more, it IS a problem, because the switching between enemies is painfully slow, it DRAGS me into the combat when I try to move out, and my only option is to sprint… which doesnt always work out.

And before anyone says “parry”, parry is also one of those uninterruptable movements where I leave myself wide open for attacks from the side. That I cant see coming, because the camera doesnt give me that freedom at that point.

THATS the bloody issue.

1 Like

if lock-on must be, i want the ability to toggle the lock off and on (ie suspend it whilst i move away to safe space where i can then turn it back on), and not just switch off of the current target.

1 Like

Holding the run key prevents locking on. If you meaning choosing the wrong perks and running out of stamina, then yes, something like that.

Quite serious. You said that the bow is ineffective against more than one opponent. Now, while I do not use the bow much I have seen other people that do. People on YouTube can be seen running and jumping around, shooting people, and not getting hit. So it is definitely possible.

When facing multiple opponents in melee, positioning is key. Fight and kill the weakest. Move on to the next. Keep any of them between you and any archers they have. Most won’t shoot at all, and if they do, they’ll shoot their friends in the back, doing half the work for you. Kill one, strafe, kill the next. Pretty soon, they’re all dead. Don’t overextend on stamina, or you’ll start taking a lot of damage.

And given that the fighters in question are professional, battle-hardened mercs, what about ‘pretty soon they’re all dead’ makes sense

1 Like

I agree with the thread author. The inventor of lock system shall be slapped all the time. Come on! Turks could do a decent combat system in M&B - you can do that too!

With xxxxl random encounters and latest update i keep flying around like a rag when ambushed by 5 peasants.
Game is unplayable and terribly frustrating.

until you type in the console:
wh_cs_PlayerLockDisabled = 1

that fixes the thing for multiple combatants combat.

PS
I killed thousands of NPC in KCD.
And thousands of players in WB :smiley:

2 Likes

The system isn’t bad, you are bad at the system :wink:

Jesus Christ… Again, nothing constructive, relevant or useful to say. If the only thing you can say is “uR BaD” why did you bother joining the discussion? You’re so stupid. Either present an argument that proves the lock on system isn’t bad or shut the fuck up.

1 Like

if the lock on system (LOS) were just a targeting mechanic, it would bother me less. that the LOS pushes and pulls when there’s no physical contact means that KCD combat hasn’t worked out non-scripted footwork. if you’ve ever sparred in martial arts, you know that’s often half the battle (or more)… getting your footwork right. when you don’t, attacks misfire (fighting gets sloppy) and defense suffers. WH could take its combat to the next level if it built a less contrived footwork mechanic… still find it silly that riff raff have essentially the same fechtbuch style incl footwork as professional mercs

2 Likes

+1 here for hating the lock system in multi combat. Also my usual cause of death.

To compensate I do two things. First, if I’m mounted, I drag and bag with the bow until I can manage what’s left. If I do find myself outnumbered in melee I back pedal a lot to keep the AI in front of me. Last possibility is find a corner that prevents them from getting around you. I slaughtered the whole bandit camp at Pribyslavitz that way once.

To try to escape you can backpedal while pressing shift and blocking, then try to run once you have cleared the enemies.

All that being said the mechanism is still by far the worst part of this game (which I absolutely love). You just don’t have control. and it is tough to gain it back.

1 Like

yeeep.

And the worst thing is that they have changed the tackle range of foes. So sometimes you get “ragged” desipte being out of their reach. With 5 enemies it is totally … lets say frustrating.

Anyway, creating the lock and circular combat system is kinda programmer cheat to make AI seeming less dumb than it really is at current stage. And dumb it is as we know.

1 Like

I’m not bad, so I don’t have a problem with the system. Burden of proof my guy, you’re the one making the claim so you aren’t in a position to demand anything of me.

People have been bitching about the difficulty curve of this game since release, lazy idiots who think that developers are obligated to cater to them instead of thinking “Hey maybe I should just practice and then this won’t be a problem anymore”

Sit down bitch.

“I’m not bad, therefore the system is good.” Again, you’re an idiot. Either present a valid argument or shut up.

1 Like

I’m really good at voting for people that get elected, guess the system is flawless.

I’m also really good at shooting deer in the woods near Talmberg, I suppose that means hunting in this game is a well thought out and deep mechanic.

1 Like

If WH catered to me, they’d perform Rattay race as a patch qualification test. No amount of practice makes it a non-problem.

Don’t believe practicing combat more serves much of an end when I can literally kill every soul present in the Pribyslavitz ‘nest’ by myself as I’ve done on multiple occasions in normal and hardcore mode.

2 Likes

It literally has fuck and all to do with the “difficulty curve”. It has NOTHING to do with difficulty. Combat, I win or lose, and its my own skill that decides it. But if I want to run away, and the game just says “no, you should totally look at this other guy” and FORCES ME BACK… then difficulty goes out the window; it becomes a system flaw.

Its good you never had an issue. But dont pretend that, because you never had an issue, it automatically means people who DO take issue with this are automatically bad. It doesnt make you better than you believe you are, nor does it make other people worse than you think they are.

The fact that so many people complained about this feature, with the main complaint being “control is taken away from me”, indicates it’s an actual problem.

1 Like

So fix it… https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/83 or https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/318

Former looks like it has some potential; latter meh

Not sure why exactly but want to wait until formal
mod support rolls out before throwing another 1000h the way of KCD

And why have you never had an issue? I can kite the AI all day and pick them off with arrows (and sometimes I do just that) and then claim “no problem”. The mechanic is broken because it forces you to do something that you do not want to do and … this is important so pay attention … something that is totally unrealistic, immersion breaking, and frustrating. It is a poor mechanism in a game that often puts you into combat with multiple foes.

I love this game. Have played it a lot - 4 play throughs to date. That does not mean that everything about it is kittens and roses.

2 Likes

I just don’t see where it’s bad. You can still perfect block strikes and counter attack from other npcs when you’re locked on another one. Also you can change who you’re locked on. Pretty simple