To Warhorse: Guys, will X BOX ONE X ever be fixed?

Not just the frame rate is atrocious, but visuals, distance loading, textures etc. are not up to level of ONE X. Is that something what cannot be fixed? It is game engine or conversion gone bad?

3 Likes

4k is pretty demanding even for a mean PC. Probably fall back to 1080p if you want more than like 30fps on a console. Its not really the devs fault. The engine isnt made for 4k.

1.5 is said to be a focus on optimization so an answer seems to lie directly ahead

1 Like

Idk why you’re having issues. My one X is playing great and looks great. You do have to give the game a couple of days in game to straighten out. And I also pulled the plug on the Xbox and gave it a good old fashioned hard reboot. Worked for me.

2 Likes

Reboots help… certainly help me on PS4. That said, problems still exist… getting fatal crashes here and there. Don’t know if XB has such issues

I have on xb and the game hasnt crashed once

Tell me you are not trying to play 4k on your console.

Those amd processors man.pants. only got their shit together with the latest ones.

My GPU cost more than your whole damn console.

Now the no need for flexing is out of the way.

PS4 is running better. Have been able to enjoy more. Probably best patch to date

Still hats popping on heads ugh, some people worse off have no heads till you close enough to spit on em. Flowers are ukkers, but all in all its looking like it’s getting to a good place.

No i doubt that it will be fixed the cry engine is very demanding on CPU and the one X’s only real upgraded Part is the GPU. The CPU is the same only slightly overclocked. KC:D most likely runs into very hard CPU bottlenecks all the time the GPU can not realize it’s true potential in this game. Just look at the texture quality: noramlly you would expect the one X to get the HD texture pack like other games offer on the one X (Middle-earth: Shadow of War witch offered 4k textures on xbox one X, Star Wars Battlefront 2 4k textures on xbox one X)
But not in this game. The vegetation textures are especially bad for xbox one X they are even lower then the lowest settings on PC allow. Even Skyrim on Nintendo Switch has better Textures then KC:D on Xbox one X.
Another Point is the bad draw distance and LOD this has been fixed a little bit in the latest patch as you will notice in the main menue textures aren’t missing anymore but draw distance of objects are still extremly poor. Objects will fade out of view even when you are in the same room ! Even Morrowind one the original xbox could do better. The problem here is the extremly high CPU demand from the cry engine and the CPU bottlenecks the xbox one X really hard here as i said. This is why i personally don’t think that this issue will or can even be fixed EVER. I would love to be proven wrong ofc. The cry engine was simply the wrong choice for a multi platform release.

Sterling Archer you do know that both the xbox and ps4 use the same custom amd processor ?
And no one expected 4k 60fps with ultra settings on xbox one x but i honetly thought that at least 2k 30 fps high settings where possible as other games show that it can be done !

hence why i don’t invest in a gaming pc

4 Likes
  • it’s not really an argument. Not everyone can afford a 500€+ graphics card. The graphic power of the xbox one X is comparable with a Gtx 1060. + 12gb ram.
    So with that set up i think that we could expect a bit better textures then below the lowest settings on pc :).
    Again that’s why i think it’s a CPU issue.
    It would be nice if a dev could explain to us why the texture quality is so low on xbox one X i get the draw distance since it’s probably cpu bound but texture quality ? A gtx 1060 with 6 gb vram is recommended to run the HD texture pack so the xbox one X should be able to run it too :slight_smile:
    Edit: don’t confuse me with a hater i actually really like the atmosphere of the game and another thing that i want to give Warhorse credit for is the inclusion of an FOV slider in the console version, something that other games like far cry 5 don’t offer even on xbox one x ! So that really is a pro costumer stance. But it would still be nice if they would at least acknowledge the issue and tell us what the reason is.

Yes, other games are enhanced. Shadow of war, as you mentioned, or Assassin Origins. I don’t see why this one performs so bad other than engine and bad conversion. I start game on my laptop with all details ultra and that is completely different quality. Stunning visuals. I run just 11 FPS, got old 880GTX, but it is stunning. The ONE X can do better than this. It is not console hardware , it is game software.

2 Likes

You can’t play 4k. Just 1440p.

2 Likes

Open worlg games are not the same category as other games.

Even ninja pc rig users have come to see, over the decades, that open world games have ‘weaker graphics’ than streamlined/instanced engines.

Cryengine is great for this - original crysis had a map that was 2gb in size… (when loaded).
It was a whole island… and made perfect use of the 32bit application limit in windows.

Streaming assets requires subsystems to back up… which have overheads (eg on cpu) to keep everything moving.

Battlefront 2 and other games that run 4k textures on the xbox x moght nothave as manybtextures in total (i played battlefront 2 in 4k on my pc and it was a very easy title to run from a graphics point of view).

Not all games have same level of complexity, KCD is one of the hardest game types to do.
No need to compare apples to oranges and deduce that the devs or the xbox arent working well.

The xbox xs issue is microsoft who claim it is a 4k console (joke) and want games in ‘higher res’ for bragging rights.

If kcd was running at 1080 on the x it wouldnplay like on my pc- almost an arcade game… once the framerate goes up to 40-45 the fluidity is fantastic.

Usually I tweak my medieval walking simulators for low framerate/high realism.
KCD I dropped settings until it ran fast.
Xbox x running the game at 1400 res is a crippling decision that serves nobody well. Except microsoft- who can claim ‘the best version’ and have sharper ‘box shot’ images to show. I bet they stamp them all over the console box in future packaging…

For the scientificly minded- most consumer tvs render between 150-600 lines of motion res.
Majority of market gets less than 400 lines motion res.
4k sets-good ones- do around 800.
For most tvs- to get the motion res that their overreaching spec sheets claim- you have to turn on the ‘smooth’ mode (frame doubling/inserting)…
Wirks fine for movies where a few frames of delay is unnoticable…
But on a controller- we want responsiveness.
In ‘game mode’… not many tvs can render 1080 lines of resolution. The ones that can are so ‘yesteryear’ (eg my old panasonic plasma).

Rendering 1400 lines of res into a tv that only shows 800 in motion (eg the better 4k sets) makes for a horrible play experience.

Eg I used to play skyrim on a upper mid tier sammy tv. Could do 600 lines of motion res. Skyrim when standing still looked very pretty. But walking? Blur blur blur… until I stopped- then photo realistic again.
The transition was horrible.
Same game into a 720 projector (that rendered 720 lines of detail whilst in motion) was beautiful.

Consumers get hoodwinked by the numbers. We get what we pay for… and 4k was a bad consumer push.
Dont drinkthe x candy and believe that your tv or console is equiped to do it.
If m$ made effective use of the x’s grunt (some 1st party studios will) it should be a nice console.

For all the rest of the time it will just be like the pspro version of the game. (Im just the messenger-i didnt make it this way)

1 Like

Yes- for a game with one texture set this analogy works.

The devs would likely cite that the backend system for rotating textures is a cpu hit that the xbox x cant afford (it IS aiming for 1400 res which can prove a cpu killer itself)

The xbox x issue is aiming for a bs resolutuon
If it aimed for 1080 the game would fly.

Very interesting to read about motion resolution i didn’t know that there even was a difference. Maybe in 2050 we will hit 4k motion resolution :wink:
So you are saying that with 1080p we could have higher textures or quality ?
Because i would prefer 1080p high settings over 1440p low settings.

Correct on both fronts (silly hey!)

The consoles can render HUD elements in 4k over a lower res game (many titles been doing this for yonks)
and still keep the framerate liquid.

I dont deny that higher res games have certain draw benefits… I have up res’d the witcher and skyrim etc (my vid card with a lil more grunt than the xbox x rendered life is strange at 4k with antialiasing). .

I find that 1400 is a great middleground (for upper range pc video cards) with fluid framerates.
Eye candy (special effects) and fluid motion- thats what newer tech should be giving us.

Resolution and antialiasing was what you played with after settings to tailor to your monitor refresh rate, back in CathodeRayTube sets of yesteryear. … they didnt have a ‘native’ resolution.

Now that we target resolutions that our systems cant deliver we have to give up eye candy and fluidity.

With each new generation of consoles, lately, it seems we just donthe same as the old but at higher res.
This stops games from becoming ‘next gen’,… unless next gen just means ‘higher res’.

My gf’s 720p (totl phillips) set has more moving resolution than most modern 4k sets.
For gamers- best tv purchase will be on the second hand market.
High moving resolution is a feature of top of the line sets.

OLED has it (and will never come to market until they have competitors to it) otherwise consumers wouldnt buy another TV…
Plasma could do it and was superior (but was removed from market due to california regulations that set a power cutoff just under what it takes to make plasma do 4k).
Trends and consumerism…
Spec sheets lie. Companies depend on it.

1 Like

So, what’s it going to take to run a game like KCD on UHD TV without pop ins, good LOD and frame rate? PS5?

Basically yes. But honestly i am not sure if even a ps5 could run KC:D in 4k 60fps if you take a Look at skyrim remastered for ps4 it still remained 30fps.
4k 60 fps maybe on ps5 pro

Some games have physics attached to framerate,… sometimes having a gramerate swing of 30-42 means that a locked 30 is better.

Multiples of numbers always proving easier /less hasslesome.

Eg 44khz sound fules dont multiply neatly into 192khz,… and it kills thebtreble response. 384khz is a number that 44, 48, 88 and 96 all multiply into- and has less artifacting.

Playing with screen locked (vertical sync) output has certain benefits and for a game at this pace no one cares about 16-32ms of lag/delay from when controller is pressed to the result turning up on screen, -not the same for a competitive first person shooter!

KCD needs to have its bottlenecks ironed out.
Some of which will happen automatically when they start on optimisation.
It is my guess someone in their modelling department double sided all their triangles on some early models in the game- hence a few spots with low framerates for everyone.

A lot of niggly things need ironing out.
Once done -so long as the game devs still care (very likely with this team based on commitment already observed)- a final round of restoring some quality that doesnt sacrifice performance is possible.

It comes down to how they are doing things internally -something that intermittent errors without provable cause (a nightmare for support) can really screw up.
If they have to blindly start culling as a desperate act is not ideal.

Sending in save files wont identify if the issue is due to an underpowered console (either an xbox non s or an overheating console as examples), or game install fragmentation etc…

There is only so much a closed team can find.
As frelmedieval (and others) has highlighted (well) is that we need certain procedures in our quality assurance department.

Many essential questions are not presently being asked of users.

The answers are here in the forums - I see them all the time. (Something twenty plus years of support has trained into me).

Sure I cant comment on whether tobii eye tracking code is causing camera shake… but I can see parallels between windows changing controller input methodology and warhorse responding to that and then introduced issues across all platforms once that build gets released.

I see many possible causes. And I have tested a few solutions. I also find it hard working with peiple who wont help themselves- some of what we need right now is useful feedback and testing.

True if the game launched as ‘early access’ (precluding console sales) the patience from the general public at identifying these issues would be much stronger.

Problem with how much misinformation that gamers presently give eg not acknowlwdging their drive fragmentation - cause they rebuilt their database and in their heads is the same thing/spam saving cause they hate the adrenalin that comes with fear of dying/running mods etc makes it harder to ascertain what is going on…

Thenwith all the forum noise (derailed troubleshooting threads as an example- everybody hijacking useful posts/creating new threads with dame info) has a few gleaming info nuggets lost to the void.

Presently I find it a tell that windows giving ghost keyboard inputs on ‘L’ key can make the camera move. (Yes, a thing).
Ghost auto targetting would also cause canera to move
Secondary input devices (since a later game patch) seem to introduce camera shake (i had to unplug my mouse one time to remove camera shake that not even a new playline could remove).

Testing is needed.
A useful control group and some specific variables is what is needed.
We have many thousands wanting their game to run perfect- some of these gamers would make great candidates for helping identify issues.

We need more respectful talk in the forums and a unified understanding of where we are at/whats going on for that to happen.

Hazelnus… my apols first few paragraphs were expanding on your point… rest is a rant for why pc gamers troubleshooting in console forums is useful for all.

Many of us are gappy to be community minded and outcome focused; even if we sprout advice that isnt the solution others WANT to hear (eg having to start a new game).

Sometimes we just need some testing to confirm where the issue is (eg redundant data in an old save file vs glitches in present build of game)

1 Like