Video update 01.10.2014 ------> FEEDBACK thread

I love the excitement of the group and the accomplishments they have made since the start of the project. I am excited to play in the alpha and am awaiting for that email.

The teaser looks great and the music choice I think is fantastic. Thank you Warhorse for your hard work, You all should be proud of the to date accomplishment.

Cheers

The teaser is awsome and the music is more perfect than perfect i can say, really so inspirational and emotional that i cant ask any better. cant stop to look at the teaser and listen that fantastic music theme.
All the video update speaks clear, the game is going to be great under all aspects and cant wait to put my hands on!
Great job WH, thank you!

Very good work, is the most beautiful medieval game. 'm Very excited about the Alpha and the possibilities of interaction with the NPCs. And if the going gets tough, I tend to bow. Music is harmonious, great compliment![quote=“ThomasAagaard, post:2, topic:18193”]
15th century churches were not all white… but filled with colors.
[/quote]
mmh, the 15th JH churches were … huge construction sites. Presumably there were only parts of earlier, Romanesque domes, possibly one already roofed altar and choir, when a monastery was nearby resident.

What I also noticed was the sometimes colorful clothing of peasants and fishermen. Looks nice, but was forbidden. Stained were only allowed to wear the upper classes. For mercenaries are occasionally made exceptions to recognize friend from foe, civilians wore only muted colors. (Clothes make the man) - one recognized each other by the magnificent clothes.

What would still fit well would be crowds of beggars. Begging was in the Middle Ages ok, poverty normal and donations was Christian duty - because of purgatory and such.
(Similar to Kickstarter … :slight_smile: :slight_smile: )

Keep it up, will be fine !!! :wink:

That really depend on the specific church. Iam natually no expert on churches in the area the game takes part.
Here in Denmark most churches are originally Romanesque, but not all of them.
The main church here in Aalborg where I lives was originally one of wood - it burned.
Then they made a stone Romanesque one. - It burned.
They then build a new Romanesque one. - It was burned when the town was sacked.

They then build the current Gothic church, that was enlarged after the reformation. And then the current “Gothic” choir was actually added in 1942. (the archaeological digs they did before building it, is why we know of all the buildings before the current one)
Just to take one example of a rather “funny” building story.

The same goes for your idea about colors. I have no idea if there was a law against it in the are the game take parts.
But it is not a type of law you found in this part of Europe… if you had the money you could wear it. So in the end they need to actually look a the laws in effect at the correct year for the correct area.

Anyway, I do love the Gothic arches in the church… Looking so forward to taking a look at your buildings.

1 Like

Nicely done video; I particularly enjoyed the look at the teaser… the music was beautiful and the landscape, lighting, ambient elements and yes, the rooster (!!) were wonderful.

I’ll be looking forward to seeing St. Esther in the game… alas, I cannot up the ante to join her in the pantheon of the anointed.

I liked it a lot. The teaser was great. I was only a bit surprised by the fact that almost everyone at all times had some head cover. Was it really like that in 1403? I can imagine that having a cap on a sunny day in the field/woods would be actually quite uncomfortable, especially in the heat (I would understand a hat though).

Also, the hunter moment: please make the hunt really realistic. Even if you shoot a deer directly into the area of heart with the most modern expanding ammunition, it can still manage to run quite far before dying (which can be a problem especially in the night). Taking a large animal down with an arrow (or half-a-dozen of them) is actually very difficult task. That is why most hunters with firearms today hate hunters with bows and crossbows - the animals hit by arrows too often run away and live for days or weeks in terrible pain before finally dying. The person in the video would most probably need to finish the animal on the spot, not just come there and check its status. We live in the time when most people are used to get their meat in a supermarket and simply ignore that there was a living, feeling being at the beginning, please make the “getting the meat” real, both when it comes to wild or domestic animals.

6 Likes

Going out to public with uncovered head was somewhat inapropriate, of course not all the time and not everywhere. But in general was covering your head part of the clothing custom in 15th century.

1 Like

I understand that logic in the town/village, when strolling the street and not doing anything physically demanding. Less so when on sun outside of the town/village, fishing alone or working field with others.

Music is awesome! Sounds like what would happen if Jeremy Soule did a song for the LotR. Everything looked amazing, I just have one request tho:D I would like to see difference between animals. So we have some white chickens, some brown, some small, some big. It it always a problem in games for me that you are always interacting with exact copies of each other. Although this will not be as smooth as with people since I doubt you will be able to find a few voluntarily bears that wants their face scanned.

Two thumbs up for the latest update!
Firstly, I really liked how the knight bashed you guys. If you fight unarmed against an armed enemy, you really shouldn’t have much chance. I hope the game will keep this realistic skill level.
Secondly, the music was fitting perfectly to the mood of the game. Feels like the devs know exactly what people hope find in the game.

From my personal experience you want to wear some kind of headcover while working in the sun. You head may get sweaty, but it is still lot more comfortable than getting sick and feverish. In fields and by water are two places where wearing something on your head is recommended.
For me the most comfortable clothing during summer days when air temperature gets higher than body temperature is long linen or cotton dress with long sleeves and head cover is mandatory if the sun is out and it is above 20 degrees of Celsius.

Generally I agree. But did you see the capes covering heads, necks and shoulders tightly? I mean, that can’t work on a sunny day. I’ve been doing field work. I’ve been doing referee on motocross races - standing in the sun and dust. Such a tight cape would be much worse than nothing at all.

It was relatively normal yes, hell it was common till the 1950s among people from every walk of life. We as in people of the past 70 year are rather weird in not wearing hats.

1 Like

hehe. this works fine :smiley:

With a very fair skin which is intolerant of sunlight, I wear a hat and long sleeve shirt and trousers throughout the year. Especially when working or walking long distances in direct sunlight in mid-summer.

It is necessary to drink more, and shade becomes welcome when available, but it is not at all inappropriate to trade warmth against protection from the sun in some circumstances.

1 Like

I am very excited for the motion capture stuff. The music sounds great.
One subtle (but really important!) improvement would be varying the pace of NPCs’ motions and actions. One thing that ruins immersion for me is when all fisherman cast with the same motion, and all NPCs walk the same pace. If 3 farmers are hoeing a field, it is very unlikely they will all swing with the same deliberate movement.

5 Likes

@ThomasAagaard

Aalborg had a fire problem - good story :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

There are many opinions there - to the colorful clothes. In the early Middle Ages it was probably banned in general, later you did not do it, because it was considered wealthy and expectations triggered (donations / taxes / envy). Also from the government and the church, it was not welcome (arrogance / sin) poverty was sexy. Of course there were not only brown and gray, but rather materials / wool that could be colored with pigments cheap. It was work clothes.
Headgear was common in public, for married women (under the hood) anyway.
As I said, there are many opinions, I consider this for obvious

Hello @warhorse @TobiTobsen,
first I want to congratulate you about that awesome job you’ve done over the past few months!
Surely, last video update looked great and everyone is eagerly anticipating the Alpha!

Meanwhile, I and many others watched with curiosity how Viktor fought against that armored knight. The AI seemed pretty solid and responsive to be able to smash the man who basically created it smile Viktor’s only kill came by outsmarting the knight after he got him stuck behind a wooden fence then shot him with a bow. This was very thoughtful of Viktor, but raises some questions about general NPC movement possibilities.

I want to suggest you to consider making any NPC able to jump over small obstacles (like that particular wooden fence). Depending on their age, gender, equipment and skill different NPC should have different proficiency of passing over obstacles. For example that knight should have a hard time jumping over the fence because of his cumbersome armor, but nonetheless he should be able to get past it after a while. This would add to Deliverance so much immersion that many gamers would actually feel like playing against real people, not AI.

On the other hand, this wooden fence will be better if made destructible (in a future release). I know destructive environment is difficult to make and takes a lot of programming time, but it also adds immersion. No need to be able to smash through walls or something, just the possibility to destroy most of the weak wooden objects (lanterns, fences, poles, tree branches) which should come down after a few strong hits. In that particular gameplay situation, the armored knight sees Viktor pulling a bow on him and tries to go over the wooden fence. After a short struggle, the AI realizes that it won’t be able to jump over fast enough, so it takes a few hard swings to the fence with its longsword and destroys a narrow passage to get by that obstacle. In the meantime Viktor may have already shot at him, but maybe he won’t have enough confidence to draw a bow in such short distance because he knows that the AI can get to him one way or the other. Sounds good to me, what do you say?

Maybe even add a carpenter or a repairman role for a purposely made animated NPC whose job in the game should be to take care of damaged environment caused by the gamer or any other NPC. Why not - it is as realistic as possible and is also historically accurate smile

Thank you for your time!

1 Like

The teaser trailer at end is great, remember me The Lord of the Rings, with this music :wink:

1 Like

I’m not convinced that a longsword is ideal for woodchopping… it lacks momentum being rather light for the purpose…