Weekly Torch - the barrel of questions

To me it looked in the videos as if they downgraded the graphics, which would be bad for me because I have 2 x GTX 1080 Ti. I can run it on the highest settings.

To me it looked in the videos as if they downgraded the graphics, which would be bad for me because I have 2 x GTX 1080 Ti. I can run it on the highest settings.

I’ve watched the video in 4k and if to take this as youtube video(not irl playing with your eyes), it still looks cool.
But, maybe, it looks for me cool, cus i’ve never played on max settings in something for long time ago. :sweat_smile:
In any case, the game is still beautiful and looks great in 4K for sure.

yes, but in comparison to previous videos it looks downgraded.

Maybe, it was recorded like that or a little bit compressed at visualization. There’re lots of factors. But, if they did something, it’s still looks not that bad at all. For me, the game looks better now, than before at some aspects. I hope, that your fears at release gonna be false. :wink:

P.S You can always wait for mods and get much better graphics even after release.

Now you can ask question to our Design Lead Viktor Bocan.
Please note that we are in the holiday season now, and it will quite take a while till Viktor will answer your questions. Thank you for understanding.

Quick question here. Havn’t found the answer in the forum so far:

Will it be possible to switch the attack type on poleaxes/warhammers and similar weapons? I.E. switching between the slashing/percing side and the hammer/ blunt side? (similarly to War of the Rose)

Hey, I have more than one question to Victor concerning the actual game condition.
My first would be if the lack of facial expressions and gestures in dialogue scenes will be improved til release?

To me the cutscenes look fine already, not much to do there anymore. But it’s apparent when there are random dialogue scenes. The eyes are just keeping still, also mostly the hands and the rest of the body. It looks really odd and would totally get me out of immersion.

My second one would be, in some of the newer videos we’ve seen some monastery gameplay. In one scene they’re eating all together at a table. But when they eat, there’s nothing on their spoon, and also the suip bowl doesn’t get emptier. Another thing would be the gulasch pots, there’s just a texture which isn’t moving while it’s boiling.
Yes, these kind of things make me looking really fussy, but the overall atmosphere feels so great in KCD, that this would get me out of immersion too, somehow.

My third question is, will there be animals hunting other animals? Like that would really give something to the overall atmosphere in the forest. Just when nothing happens, a deer running like wild from a wolf. That would be great! :smiley:

Btw. sorry for my english and thank u for making the game! I hope it will be a success for you!

1 Like

They are still working on facials. There are only boars. So no hunting each other. As much as I know, boars are eating anything, they are not just predators which occasionally eat grass to get faster digestion.

There aren’t only boars? I’ve seen foxes and many other animals on a map. I think I’ve also seen wolves and deers in some videoupdates.

Btw. I have another question to viktor, will there be fishing and cooking minigames? Would be relaxing to take out the fishing rod and relax at a sea. Isn’t too hard to implement I guess?

What I mean is, boars are only animals attacking Henry, so probably only ones that would be aggressive towards other animals, but I wouldn’t expect animals fighting each other.

ha! Finally my long awaited interview :slight_smile:

1. Compared to Operation Flashpoint (my favourite game even today!) do you have any ideas you could implement in KCD and were not able to implement them during development of original OFP and datadisks because of technical limits of the time? Can possible open world and random encounters be one of the things? I know that creating living open world in OFP was nuts and in the end there was CPU limitation (i tried it several times, scripted prepared bases and outposts with their patrols and simulated areas of influence, everything however was bound to players presence and in the end game was unplayable on PCs at that time, because of low FPS).

2. "You will never have a real combat experience in a game until you get some awesome virtual reality system with perfect haptic feedback. What you CAN get is something that has a similar feeling.
    You can feel the danger. You can feel a weight of the sword in your hand. You can get timing and positioning right and then you can fight in the game like you would in real world."
    Okay, I believe someone from WH mentioned somewhere you in studio were toying with idea of VR support. I do not know if it will be implemented or not (I believe not). What do you think about future implementation in possible next titles of Kingom Come?
    Frankly, I do not believe ANYONE can create perfect sword fighting simulation, even when we are talking about VR with perfect haptic system. One major reason is, you have no chance to simulate sword to sword hit in a game, unless you have two players that fight each other with their swords. When swords hit each other, avatar stops while player and his sword goes through. This deprives experience by very important moment. For average swordsman this moment means crucial understanding of situation that tells him if his prepared movement can be carried out or is predestined to doom. A little bit better swordsman can alter his next move to better suit situation and advanced fighter adapts to new situation to overcome it in next move (in case it does not go as planned or thought). And in case swords stay in physical contact, there is advanced technique of “fulen” where you feel the opponents blade on your’s and with this you decide what advanced technique you wish to use. “Fulen” is truly something for lifelong studies. What I’m writing now is major part of swordfighting, nothing that lies out on boundary.

Another part is that this game would have to handle sword fighting with some kind of advanced physics and mesh collision system, different to current game system, because I do not believe current engine would be able to handle “random” things that human player would do. Matter is, that swordfighting is hard to learn and even harder to master. If newbie wants to perform some technique, he does it wrong every time, by this he continually improves. These “wrong” moves are kinda random. There are “signs” that are, let’s say, common for some techniques and some people, but every time I see a newbie, I usually see new things that he is doing. It’s hard to describe, but common main reason for this, is that rotation of sword usually by a few degrees has crucial impact on swordsman’s ability to withstand incoming hit and also affecting his ability to land a strike in next moment, thus leading to phenomenon of “after-blows”.

This all leads me to my skeptical view on possibility of creating “decent” Kingdom Come game with VR. But who knows, I was skeptical that KCD will ever make it on market and now we are chatting on forums of game that is two and a half months before release :slight_smile:

1. You say about yourself you are a bad programmer. Were you always “only” game designer, or did you try to write program (like a game) from a scratch by yourself? I know you did some indie titles by yourself, but I do not know if you did them alone or in cooperation with someone, also no idea if you wrote engine by yourself, or you used some already prepared one.
2 Likes

Hi ,

1: Could you give us statistics about the open bugs in the following categories

• Show Stopper
  • Critical
  • Major
  • Normal
  • Minor

2: Would it be possible to provide a site containing which mirrors the actual bug tracker to backers?

3: Will you fix visual bugs (e.g. facial expressions, missing suspensions, missing straps, model details, animations, particle effects, textures) even after the release if you don't make it before the release?

4: How long will you support the game after release?

5: A very critical question: How will you handle the END of the MAP, meaning what will happen when the player reaches the end of the map. how immersive will the border be presented (a Forrest, Mountain-Range... or an anti-immersive textbox :( )?

6: How high is the probability that the Release Date will be postponed ( e.g. for gaiing more polishing time?)

7.1: Topic Crossbows

Crossbows were planned to be in the game in the very beginning. Nevertheless they were scrapped.

7.1.1: Could you tell us the reasons why the crossbows were scrapped?
7.1.2: If you had them partially implemented could you tell us the status of the implementation before the scrapping decision and tell us what and how much was missing in order to have an release-worthy implementation?
7.1.3: Is there any chance of bringing them back into the game in future Patches/DLCs?

7.2: Topic Flails

7.2.1: Could you tell us the reasons why the flals were scrapped?
7.2.2: If you had them partially implemented could you tell us the status of the implementation before the scrapping decision and tell us what and how much was missing in order to have an release-worthy implementation?
7.2.3: Is there any chance of bringing them back into the game in future Patches/DLCs?

7.3: Topic Horse Combat

It was planned to have a full-fledged horse-combat but it was stripped down to horse-archery and simple mounted combat

7.3.1: Could you tell us what was planned (e.g. fighting with lance, horse vs horse,… )?
7.3.2: Could you tell us the reasons for the scrapping of the not-implemented parts
7.3.3: If you had them partially implemented could you tell us the status of the implementation before the scrapping decision and tell us what and how much was missing in order to have an release-worthy implementation?
7.3.4: Is there any chance of bringing them back into the game in future Patches/DLCs?

8: Gameplay topics

8.1: Fire

Fire plays a part in pre-scripted events like setting smoke-screens, setting arrow barrels aflame and providing light. There are screenshots with characters fighting with a torch and a sword.

8.1.1: Was it planned, that you could blind enmies with the torch?
8.1.2: Were there discussions that fire could be a gameplay element (e.g. setting enemies aflame, environment …) at any point during the development
8.1.2.1: Could you tell us the reasons for the scrapping these ideas, if you had them?
8.1.2.2: If you had it partially implemented could you tell us the status of the implementation before the scrapping decision and tell us what and how much was missing in order to have an release-worthy implementation?
8.1.3: Is there any chance to see more interactions with fire in future Patches/DLCs?
8.1.4: How can Henry set pre-scripted things aflame without equipping a torch. This is a bug right?

8.2. Disarming enemies

8.2.1: Is it possible to disarm enemies by chance?
8.2.2: Is it possible to disarm enemies with a special combo?
8,2.3: Could you tell us the reasons if it is not possible?
8.2.4: If you had it partially implemented could you tell us the status of the implementation before a probably scrapping decision and tell us what and how much was missing in order to have an release-worthy implementation?
8.2.5: Is there any chance to see more interactions with fire in future Patches/DLCs?

8.3. Crippling enemies

Is is it possible to cripple enemies by Breaking , arms, hands, legs the enemy during combat, so that they are rendered them helpless and they drop their weapon and cry due to pain?

8.3.1: Is it possible to disarm enemies by chance?
8.3.2: Is it possible to disarm enemies with a special combo?
8.3.3 Can this happen to the player itself? If not, then please give us the reasons and will it be possible to disarm them in the future Patches/DLCs?
8.3.4: If you had it partially implemented could you tell us the status of the implementation before a probably scrapping decision and tell us what and how much was missing in order to have an release-worthy implementation?
8.3.5: Is there any chance to see more interactions with fire in future Patches/DLCs?

8.4. Fairness

There is a huge gap in fairness IMHO. You have to strike your opponents without a helmet three or four times into the head with a visible clear hit to kill them. Will this be fixed in the later game, so that one clear visible hit, with visible wounds will kill an opponent and you as well ? The same applies for the bow. It also seems that bleeding damage does not appeal to the enemy but only to the player :frowning:

8.5. Horses

8.5.1: Can horses be killed and have an own damage model?
8.5.2: Could you tell us the reasons if it is not possible?
8.5.3: If you had it partially implemented could you tell us the status of the implementation before a probably scrapping decision and tell us what and how much was missing in order to have an release-worthy implementation?
8.5.4: Is there any chance to see more interactions with fire in future Patches/DLCs?

9: Cutscenes and In-Game transitions

9.1: Do you use pre-rendered cutscenes or are you playing the cutscenes in-engine?
9.2: Is there any chance to see a seamless transition between cutscene and game for non-player characters?
9.3: will the pc have a scabbard in cutscenes, where he has a sword if the scenes are pre-rendered?
9.4: Is there any chance to see a seamless transition between cutscene and game for the player characters?

10: Finishing Moves

10,1 :Will the camera show the finishing moves or are they always performed in the off, How m?
10.2: How many finishing variations will they be?
10.3: Is there any chance to see more finishing moves in front of the camera in future Patches/DLCs?

11: Forging Mini-Game

11.1 Could you tell us the reasons if it is not possible?
11.2: If you had it partially implemented could you tell us the status of the implementation before a probably scrapping decision and tell us what and how much was missing in order to have an release-worthy implementation?
11.3: Will this be the first DLC :slight_smile: ?

12 Breakable things

It as planned to have breakable weapons, armor and clothes. However for now every released material besides some dents on the armor which do not seems dynamical

12.1: What is the weapon damage model and how dynamically will this be (most important, shields, all weapons with a wooden staff, arrows …)?
12:2: What is the clothing damage model and how dynamically will this be?
12.2.1: Will you use clothing tearing physics like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgWur7HaIks ?
12:3: What is the armor damage model besides dents and holes and how dynamically will this be?
12.4: Where can you repair broken things and how will this look like?
12.5: Do you plan to improve damage models and animation with further Patches/DLCs?

13: Wound depiction and wounded behavior

The combat is incredibly realistic, however the depiction of hits, wound and the reaction of the enemies seems unpolished to me in earlier version they seemed better here are some points, which are missing. So Please tell us whether A: they will be implemented either due to release date or later, B: if they are not implemented, the reasons for this and how far have you implemented these and C: If those parts will be improved later by future patches/DLCs ?

13.1: direct wounds on unprotected areas after a hit this includes

• Bruises
  • Visible cuts
  • Entry wounds
  • Exit Wounds
  • Open wounds
  • Realistic disjolted bones after crippling the enemies hand

13.2: visible gradual bleeding affecting the following things

• clothes
  • environment
  • weapons

13.3: More decent particle effects (blood spurts), which affects the environment or other NPCs meaning the particle effect result in a physical blood fluid entity
13.4: Behavior of the enemy after receiving a wound on an unprotected area. like:

• Different combat moves, which are clearly different (holding the sword more clumsy, limping, or simply giving up combat and cry and hold their wounds).
  • Different movesets in general (when fleeing, moving outside of combat … )
  • Different wounding reactions. In some older videos those animation are visible but often the enemy returns to the same state he was in, when he was uninjured, which is very bad. A very good animation example is the NPC who hurts himself with his axe :slightly_smiling_face:
    https://youtu.be/kA8rTyIO0xE?t=503

13:5. It seems that enemies cannot be stunned, the player can be stunned with an nice effect. But the enemy is on blunt attacks on the head not affected. Can the enemies be stunned and can they attack their own comrades during their confusion?
13:6. It is possible to release enemies, which have surrendered, is it possible that those released enemies might take revenge later on you. When you scar enemies e.g. very deep eye wound, nose wound,… will these scars have an effect on the game later, meaning the enemy will take revenge for a received scar (this does not include story-relevant quests)?
13:7: Is there a possibility of visible removing arrows from enemies, with the effects after removing an arrow (bleeding, possible breaking with the rest of the shaft still sticking in the enemy…)

14: Daggers

14.1: Will the dagger be usable in combat besides stealth kills e.g. for mercy kills?
14:2: There are still model flaws on daggers , will you fix these points before the release

• Dagger scabbards on NPC models
  • Dagger scabbard suspensions on NPC models
  • Dagger scabbards on the PC model (inventory screen included)
  • Dagger scabbard suspensions the PC model (inventory screen included)

14.3: Will NPCs have daggers as a visibly tertiary weapon (the one bandit had one dagger as a secondary weapon but it was not visible)?
14.4: Can NPCs stealth kill the PC with a knife?
14.5: Will the daggers have blood on them after usage (PC/NPC?)

15: Visors

15.1: Is it possible to go into a conversation with a closed visor and if yes. will the conversation partner be more intimidated?
15.2 Can you open/close your visor during the conversation and if yes, will this have an effect on the conversation partner?

16: Stealth Aspects

The stealth in this game is great, with the whole reaction to clothes armor and their state as well as the reputation if you are caught. There are some questions t

16.1: Dragging Bodies

Although it is possible to carry bodies, which is good, the complementary mechanic, which could improve the stealth mechanic is missing.

16.1.1: Have you considered to include the dragging of bodies as a complementary mechanic?
16.1.2: If not,could please tell us the reasons?
16.1.3: If you had it partially implemented could you tell us the status of the implementation before a probably scrapping decision and tell us what and how much was missing in order to have an release-worthy implementation?
16.1.4: Is there any chance to see more interactions with fire in future Patches/DLCs?

16.2: Blood

In 13.3: I mentioned that blood could be a physical entity, which interacts with the environment. After stabbing an NPC and then carrying the body, the blood would drop from the wound and leave blood trails behind, to which NPC will react in some eay

16.2.1: Have you considered to include this at any point of development?
16.2.2: If not,could please tell us the reasons?
16.2.3: If you had it partially implemented could you tell us the status of the implementation before a probably scrapping decision and tell us what and how much was missing in order to have an release-worthy implementation?
16.2.4: Is there any chance to see more interactions with fire in future Patches/DLCs?

16.3: Trails

Besides blood trails there could be other trails, like footsteps or sander marks done by dragging of bodies (16.1). The player could so produce fake trails e.g. footsteps/sander marks on wet soil. Then pick up the body and carry it and use the grass (other vegetation to produce not so visible steps) or is trying to go backwards to produce footsteps in the different direction, which could be used to lure enmeies far away.

16.3.1: Have you considered to include this at any point of development?
16.3.2: If not,could please tell us the reasons?
16.3.3: If you had it partially implemented could you tell us the status of the implementation before a probably scrapping decision and tell us what and how much was missing in order to have an release-worthy implementation?
16.3.4: Is there any chance to see more interactions with fire in future Patches/DLCs?

16.4: Pinning the crime on other

Is it possbile to pin crimes on innocent NPS you have commited. For example, by stabbing someone in the bed, and then knocking out an innocent NPC, carrying/dragging him (without leaving footsteps) in close proximity on the crime spot, and then dropping the bloody dagger on the knocked out NPC. And then tell the guard (with a very fancy dress) that you saw a murder or let a different NPC detect the body and the “murderer”.

16.41: Have you considered to include this at any point of development?
16.4.2: If not,could please tell us the reasons?
16.4.3: If you had it partially implemented could you tell us the status of the implementation before a probably scrapping decision and tell us what and how much was missing in order to have an release-worthy implementation?
16.4.4: Is there any chance to see more interactions with fire in future Patches/DLCs?

17: Arrows

17.1: Arrows visibly disappear if more than one has been fired onto the enemy? Is this bug recorded or already fixed?
17.2: Arrows cannot be retrieved from horses (as of beta). Is this bug recorded or already fixed?
17.3: Are there different arrowheads and are they visible?
17.4: Arrows does not visibly break, they are just described as broken arrow (as of beta). Is this bug recorded or already fixed?
17.5: Will arrows break if you try to retrieve them from the enemy and will the rest of the shaft be stuck in there?
17.6: Can arrows be split (if you fire one arrow into the another)
17.7: Will arrow stuck with different depths, which will then influence the retrieval probability?
17.8: Will there be different animation of arrow retrieval, because the beta animation was quite generic and arrows, which sticks deeper in different materials require other retrieval movements than shallow stuck arrows.

18: Tieng up enemies

It was common to kidnap defeated enemies and ransom them. Is this realized in the game, meaning can you tie up a surrendered enemy and then try to ransom him?

18.1: Have you considered to include this at any point of development?
18.2: If not,could please tell us the reasons?
18.3: If you had it partially implemented could you tell us the status of the implementation before a probably scrapping decision and tell us what and how much was missing in order to have an release-worthy implementation?
18.4: Is there any chance to see more interactions with fire in future Patches/DLCs?

19: Will there be a visible jail cell and can you break out of it?

20: Will you reduce the amount of sparks in combat to a more realistic amount (visible only at dawn, much less visible with the eye and appearing randomly?)

21: Will there be other weapons for stealth kills than daggers e.g. an axe on a sleeping enemy?

22: Does some nobles wear tassel capes or capes in general in the game and can you rob them of it and wear it yourself?

23: Can you put hoods up and down and will this affect your stealthiness?

24: Could you give us information about the in-game combat academy and the companion training video?

25: Could you give us information about the tournament mode? Will it contain jousting?

26: In the beta you could "drop " items, these would then disappear, will in the release the items be on the ground and will NPCs try to steal them?

27: Can bows visually shatter if you draw them too long and if they are in a bad state?

28: Which version of the cryengine are you actually using, will you eventually provide with later updates, the newest cry engine version features?

4 Likes

I feel that deep and well designed training arena tutorials would do for people. Have you been able to make that combat academy mentioned during kickstarter?

Do you have any ideas on future modding support? Would you perhaps consider sharing your in-house tools? Are we going to be able to paint/edit the map, change textures or models, edit rpg values etc? What should I learn if I want to be able to mod your game?

3 Likes

Hi,
I would like to ask, if sieges and large scale battles like those shown in first trailers:

will be in final game (I know there should be just few of them).

How many NPCs there will be in largest battle in the game?

3 Likes

Now you can ask questions to our Music Composer Jan “Honza” Valta

Hello Jan,

I have two questions regarding KCD

1: What are you doing at the moment? I thought there was a content freeze or are you mastering the tracks or are you working on the secret third transitional variation?
2: Can you tell me more about the period in-game music that was mentioned in the early beginning? Will there be bards in-game playing the music, and has the music been recorded on period instruments if it has been recorded in the first place?
3: Could you provide the midis which shocked dan in the spotting sessions :stuck_out_tongue:

The next questions are as a felllow Stonekeep fan :slight_smile:

1: Have you defeated the shadow king with brute force and without the dust-of-zandi trick (Yes it is possible :slight_smile: I can give you proof on my youtube account if you don’t believe me :stuck_out_tongue: )
2: Have you found the secret door in Khull Khuum’s Tower containing the secret letter :slight_smile:

They do not know what music was played back then, so no bards with instruments, but I know there will be singers.

I don’t know about bohemia but there are manuscripts with melodies and accords, like the Roman de Fauvel in France

@warhorse: I edited my questions to Victor, is it possible to relay them to him or is it too late?

He will get them in the next year after the holiday seasons, so it isn´t too late
Same for Jan Valta