What do you think of first person?

And don’t know the context of the view block quote, so idk.
And the last thing about jrpg vs wrpg is a bit more off topic, i just showed the video to other guys, who didn’t dislike it.

I’m just saying that its about the aspect of customizing your character to fit your own, as an escape, play as yourself or someone you want to be. Vs a (highly probable) more interesting and in depth character, created by the developers.
But yeah this is not that much on topic =)

I am perfectly content with the first person combat. I cannot imagine how the combat system they are going for will work in third-person. If you need to react and stash opponents based on where they are open. I would rather they concentrate on first person and make it as best as it can be rather than spread out resources to have two mediocre camera camera vantage points.

1 Like

Well, for third person perspective to work, there has to be a person on the screen. So it’ll always obscure your vision more than first person perspective. Technically, you see less in TP - you just have a better situational awareness so it doesn’t feel that way

You get a muc h larger field of field, but in most shooter games, the gun also has like 1/4 of the screen. Games like melee combat, for example skyrim, still has the hands, which are the same size as a person in third person. Still all variations and depends form game to game. So unless you have no weapons or, separate hands from camera you will have the same area covering the camera. But in the case of KCD, a simple sword won’t obscure anything.But you still lack the bigger FOV, without distorted view

yep, if they have to sacrifice anything of the promised features, I also would prefer it to be after the game is finished

But why impeach people who want 3rd person as an option to get it ?
Btw if you want to feel and get completly immerse during a fight go try medieval reenactment you’ll be immerse.
The feeling I’ve got of that topic is that most of the people expressing here only think about their point of wiew, and looks to think that IF there is a 3rd person, they will be obligated to use it.
But thats not what do we want.

It seems like this post is more “alive” than the one I previously posted the following. I would like everyone with input, and the will to share it to do so. Here is a mere suggestion.

If KC: D ends up being Oculus Rift compatible, then I suppose that they will have independent head movement for people who do not own or play with the Rift. That is simple to implement into the PC elite hamster race because we have many buttons on the keyboard. What about the PS4 and Xbone? I know that the PS4 controller has a good gyroscope in it, I don’t know too much about the Xbone’s controller, but that gyroscope can be used and implemented into the game for independent head movement.

For PC elite hamster race, we can just hold the alt key, like in Arma. For the console peasants, the head can be moved independently from the body by holding both shoulder buttons or something while moving/twisting/turning the controller around in real-time space dimension.

A fairly decent example of this is in BF4. When you are in some certain vehicles, and you have motion sensor enabled within the settings, you can look around inside the vehicle by physically manipulating your controller while holding a button.

'Twould be great to see Track-IR support implemented as a stop gap, or alternative to the Rift, although even if either of these is never implemented I will stick to playing in first person, rather than immersion destroying 3rd.

so you want it to zoom in so that you can no longer see your charecter? so first person

I like that you were critical in your approach, or at least made every attempt to be so, except I love first person and prefer it in every game from Skyrim to Forza and I really like what Warhorse have done with their first person camera and I am looking forward to it.

No, you don’t actually have a bigger FOV at all. You feel you do, because camera is placed behind your character and, as I said, you get better situational awareness, but your FOV remains roughly the same - otherwise you’d get the ‘fisheye’ effect.

And yeah, you’re correct, a weapon does take up some screen space in FPS games - then again, I tend to scale down weapon models in FPS games, and I tend to crank up my FOV to ~105 or so whenever I can, which is definitely more than most TP games I have ever seen, not to mention that I don’t really care about immersion all that much in shooters (when they’re not Far Cry 2. Aaaah, marvelous Far Cry 2.)

I’m also glad you brought up Skyrim, because that’s exactly an example of a game where, about 80% of the playtime, I have absolutely nothing but a tiny compass obscuring my vision.

1 Like

I’m not against people who want third person getting it in general, but I don’t really want to see it as to have it implemented properly will divert dev time and money. It’s not as simple as people think IMO + requires a lot of work, testing and possibly even re-designing elements of the game.

Also some game-play mechanics may be scrapped as they ‘don’t work with third person.’ An example would be some helmets partially obscuring your view as I mentioned above. Sure this feature might not work, but on the other hand it might be excellent if done well. It may be that the combat aims of your attackers aren’t visible enough from the elevated third person camera or it’s difficult to see low moves with your character centered and when offset, difficult to judge sword angles, such that it’s harder to fence; should the aims then be exaggerated or other compromises made, such as cutting certain moves from the game? There are prob. plenty of other better examples.

If third person could be implemented with zero or very minimal impact on first person view or dev time/money I’d be fine with it, but that’s not the case (at least I imagine it’s not).

In short - By nailing it down to first person only I think that the first person view will be better implemented than if resources are split.

nah, third person takes a lot of resources from the programmers, first person doesn’t. Unless one of the programmers has a already programmed camera stuff for that engine, cool. But IT will take up time. Third person needs time to tweak, otherwise its just bad, first person the gap between bad and good isn’t that big =). But about resources…
it’s not that they are working with just their pledge goal, they have money to spare, a dude for a pan viewing the character or so.

I have my own opinion and ideas for the combat, but they won’t be that likeable, due to that people made me clear that this is more of a simulation than a game. So I’ll won’t complain about the combat, because it will never be what I want . (i think i just did)

I still would want to see a thrid person for oculus rift =).
And I think the post is ALIVE, because I constantly reply, to comments, unlike (apparently) most topic-starters?

I don’t get i, why 3rd person is considered anti-immersion. Look at the latest action-movie AAA games from last years. Tomb raider, uncharted 3, some stealth-action games that I don’t care about. All went for immersion, which they reach according to reviews and what i’ve seen. While being in 3rd person.
Tomb raider even came with their dynamic camera, looking like it was expensive to make.
But just, 3rd person just gives more explosions, earthquakes, grotesque immersion, instead of just the action stuff going around you.

Look at shooters, they constantly zoom in, when scoped, you are scoped, like first person, very limited view. But while just aiming or so. The camera comes closer to the character, almost putting the camera in profile, moving it to the left (or right).
Also some good camera work is last of us (or tomb raider …)

Yeah, feelings and tastes, I can’t compete with. Same as music, we can break down the note variants, the text depth or the use of certain techniques, and so on and so on. But if it comes down to someones taste, even the most rational arguments can’t change it. Which is another very, deep topic =)

Game view just matters to game design. Why so many people can’t understand it?

Wait what? Are there games where you can scale down the models? And if so or not, is it special or just in options menu. Sounds cool, however, i wouldn’t touch it too much.

Hehehe, of course its the same FOV if you put the first person on the max FOV, which is around 100.
But the large FOV in first person causes more motion sickness, because its less “real” (i can’t talk for motion sickness, and you apparently also don’t have problems with it) I also put my FOV as high as possible. Some people consider it cheating which is somehow a bit true.
Yep in the witcher 2 the same, out of combat way less HUD. This is just ,because these days, they finally started to work on HUDs.

I think everyone understands. no?
The funny thing on this side, while talking about stealth, is that stealth staying sneaky is easier, less risky. But killing is harder, due to that they can still react/interact, from backstabs. (several discussions in one sentence)
Which is according to me way more fun, less chance, longer game, more interaction, more “health”. (I play as a tank (damage absorber, no damage dealer, no bruiser or berserker type) , and assassin types in games are a bit OP according to me)