What do you think of first person?

Ok, correction. 3rd person view would never give me that feel. Sounds better? I don’t ignore your posts, I just write from my point of view.
The 3rd person around-the-corner-looking always seems like cheating to me, like seeing through walls or something. Having to expose myself by moving around the corner in 1st person is more, how to say it, more risky, more adrenaline, never knowing what is there, is there a guard looking this way? Will he spot me if I am not careful enough?
You are right about the sound, though in combat you won’t hear any useful things (clashing of swords does not help much) and outside of combat all the games I played were able to satisfy me (for example I was able to correctly interpret the sound of footsteps - closing, moving away…), even when the sound was never perfect.

The problem is how “real” would be surviving a fight with yourself against three or more trained swordsmen around you? In a 3rd person, it would be unreal to be able to see who’s gonna stab you in the back, while in a 1st you’d have to be more careful, watching your back.

I tend to prefer first person view, for the simple reason that in 3rd person games, the player model itself obscures like 1/4 of the screen - and when it doesn’t, camera usually feels to be way too far.

Along the lines of what Frattapa just said regarding unrealistic visibility; what about if they offer restricted views when wearing different helmets etc?

Plus, imagine the sound of heavy rainfall on your metal helmet for e.g. or the muffled sounds of the world beyond in a fully enclosed helm and the horrendous clank should you take a hit - I just don’t see how you can get that kind of a feeling from third person (and to get it just right for first person takes time and money).

Good post. Me personally, I think that both options should be on the table for the very same reasons you so elegantly put into words in your post. Its still early so maybe they will include it. When DEMAND is high you got to deliver on it.

1 Like

More immersive :slight_smile: I want it :slight_smile:

well, in the case of backstabbing. you’d have to be zoomed out enough to be able to counter it. Like AC-distance. But while running away and being followed, or continuous stabs in the back (note, while sprinting, most games zoom out), or blocking an ally is more what is bothering me (in KCD the latter won’t matter)
And about the risk of putting yourself out there, is strange, because almost every stealth game then comes with a notice-meter, so they won’t spot you directly. But that is not real for me either. But I think this goes too far off topic, and too personal opinion about stealth.

Wow, so polite, thank you. Yeah, its not an issue or anything. And if they had to sacrifice time they put in promised features, I wouldn’t want that. But like most people who do want it, it is more for seeing their character, environment (because with third person you FOV gives you better view of far distances). They just want it for eye-candy, so a simple button that just rotates a camera around you or so would be sufficient for most people who want it, and it wouldn’t take that many resources.

1 Like

One say obscures others like the fact they can see their character, which gives them personality. And if it blocks your view, then the game did it wrong. We all know nothing is perfect, and even more things are just bad. But this aspect of wanting to see the character or not is same as the JRPG vs WRPG discussions. (similar, mi thinks)

Well restricting views with helmets is just a bad idea, gameplay point of view. But if they want immersion, i guess helmets get big black blurry things that make half your screen useless. Unless they just zoom in, reduce camera rotation, have a fog of war in more fantasy games. Or in other games, with a marking and spotting or eagle vision or batvision, reducing that ability. Or if there is slow motion, removing that, and so on and so on. The options are limitless

I don’t get the “3rd person giving better view of far distances”. I mean when I try to compare different 1st and 3rd person games, let’s say Borderlands, Elder Scrolls, Assassin’s Creed, Gothic, all of them had some great views and I really don’t see a difference based on 1st or 3rd person. Could you somehow specify it or show some pictures to show what you mean?

Interesting :slight_smile: I liked the 3rd person in Witcher, because the character is important and seeing Geralt on screen made him hero of the story I was watching. Like hero in a book. I was not immersed in the character, but in the story, and I did not for a second believed I am Geralt :smiley:

If not implemented properly I agree that it wouldn’t be a good idea for game-play, but if done well (which will take some testing) I think it could be very good personally.

I guess we’ll see what happens - They are considering it BTW.

Yeah? Since when? And what exactly are they considering, spending time in fleshed out third person. Or a simple pan view, to jizz on you character, which most people would like anyway, instead of viewing it in their inventory.

I usually don’t play third person games. The notion that third person view would give better view of far distances make me confused. I don’t understand at all, how? Why? Is it a joke?

1 Like

The 3rd person view is not about better view of far distances (well, it does improve that as well, slightly, because the camera is usually higher than your character). It generally improves the overview of the scene, gives you wider and higher perspective and much better awareness of your direct surroundings. That’s what makes it so popular, a considerably wider outlook and better sense of orientation.

The downside is that it puts some more distance between you and the environment and detaches you from it to some degree in the process. Makes you an observer rather than a participant. But that’s also a pretty subjective thing if you ask me. I can get really immersed in any good game, no matter what camera it uses. Some 3rd person games can even be more immersive than some of the 1st person ones. The 1st person perspective just offers a much more straightforward basis for this.

The trouble with 1st person is that it considerably limits the peripheral view and causes something of a tunnel vision, which of course comes mainly as a limitation of the computer screen (and some people may find something resembling tunnel vision uncomfortable, maybe in a way similar to claustrophobia, although not that severe).

The problem is, that the actual human sight is somewhere in between. The only real compromise is to buy yourself three monitors and try to play in 1st person on a triple screen.

(As I mentioned, though, I’m all for a 1st person centered gameplay in KCD…)

“Helmets affecting your vision are being considered but cannot be confirmed as of yet.”

There you go!

I hope that they can make it work as I think it’d be a great feature; give the player the option to trade visibility for protection + increase immersion at the same time ;).

But the helmet thing in WOTR is done so badly.
When you have it one, you use such a large space of your screen for BLACK. Which is completely waste of space. So why not just zoom in, or limit camera movement, or maybe, just a real blurry edge (which will probably look ugly)
But we don’t know the game mechanics, attributes and so on in detail.
Maybe a more simple effect, that you still have most of your view, but by doing actions your screen starts to condensate, blurring the view, which limits your damage output, because by doing bursts of actions you blur your vision.

Yeah I just thought you were saying that the combat was locked. No worries.

It has to block your view, otherwise you’re a camera floating in space.

Well, in my RPGs, I want to give my characters personality :stuck_out_tongue:

You mean it’s the same as any discussion that are a matter of opinion? Well yes, obviously.

At any rate, the best solution would obviously be implementing both options, but from what I’ve seen, vast majority of FP games offering TP view (or the other way around) have the other mode half-arsed and broken.