What do you think of first person?

Its a device, i guess you can use it however you want. It just gives 3D effect, no especially putting you in the feet of the character.
I still would want to see it, no idea what it gives.

like i said several times, and pointed out why.
1st person doesnā€™t mean more realism, you still sacrifice other aspects, which require HUD, or multiple screens, and so on. So unless you just remove those aspects, that they donā€™t have a role, then you are right. Which KCD does.

But I also pledged with the hope that they would try to add a 3rd person wiew :slight_smile:

I gotta admit I see what your trying to sayā€¦and Iā€™m not bashing on your hopesā€¦ but they said it pretty clearly already. Itā€™s a 1st person game. That is what they intended from the beginning and that is what they are making. The only time you will see your character is in cutscenes, inventory, and dialog exchanges.

I get why people want 3rd personā€¦ but its just not what the Devs want to make and its not what they have planned.

Youā€™re right, itā€™s still just not the same thing as reality. Anf thatā€™s the point, @Cerberus. All that @Vincent_Goeminn, me and others are trying to say, is that whether a certain perspective conveys more realism to the player is not an absolute thing, but depends on several factors (FOV, visual/sensual/audible representation of the character and all the other stuff that has been said already), and thatā€™s why 3rd person can feel

closer to real life

than FP to some, and to others (like you), itā€™s the other way around. Thatā€™s perfectly okay, and I think the reason weā€™re still discussing it is that you seem convinced that thatā€™s just not a valid option, which we think it is (because it actually is to us, if that makes sense to you or not ;))

But I love the discussion, so keep it going!

1 Like

Iā€™m not really bothered by them not including 3rd person as an option since I can always just mod the game to include it which will be pretty darn easy being CryEngine and all.

K let me know when you do. Iā€™m not a programmer (I also suck using other engines, like UDK) But I can help you if you need me for HUD or art.

Well said
i couldnā€™t say it better

You know its the trend that communities get a say in what the game would look like.
And in more profit-based companies would also want to hear what their players want, just to sell more.
And the way I see kickstarting, is that we provide the money, that they useally would get from publishers.
Who always say what they have to do.
So indeed, kickstart projects are more for the devs their own work, instead of a more made-for-public thing.

That is a terrible approach! ā€œWell all right, weā€™ll add third person view since you ask so nicely. And multiplayer. And while weā€™re at it, undead, house building, farm tending, fishing minigames, advanced sword customizationā€¦ā€ I really hope devs just stick to their vision and donā€™t listen to the community all that much - after all, theyā€™re the ones who know the best what do they want to create. Take a look over here. While I disagree with a lot of points and I think his example is terrible, the general gist of the article seems spot-on

2 Likes

I personally prefer first person view if done right, and it looks like there doiing it right.

Truthfullyā€¦ if the combat turns out to be as engaging and entertaining as it seemsā€¦ I could see them making a multiplayer tournament arena as a separate entityā€¦and making a lot of money off of it.

And Iā€™m pretty sure they said fishing was already in.

But for nowā€¦ yeah I agree with you. They should stick to their vision and not just add things willy-nillyā€¦except FALCONSā€¦they should totally add Falcons.

I prefer first person, when itā€™s you that have control over your character.

But when your character plays a lengthy animation, like standing up from a bed or playing a heroic fighting move all you see is random stuff with your first person camera. Then I would prefer a third-person perspective, because I want to see whatā€™s going on.

The other situation where I would prefer third-person are screenshots. I sometimes want my character in them.

Oculus Rift is whole other issue, because you canā€™t simply animate the camera like you do with a normal first-person camera. Because the Oculus Rift controls in which direction you look. It will be interesting to see how they do this.

Yeah I agree. Which is why Iā€™m glad the dialogue scenes are in 3rd person. Itā€™ll allow them to let the character do some real acting and moving about before we take control and make him stroll up and down the muddy road again.

You know what I just realized the game probably wonā€™t have?..Blinking.

Odd now that I think about it. Its in first personā€¦ but the character never blinks. I canā€™t recall a single RPG character that ever blinked. Such a weird thought.

No need for hero to blink :stuck_out_tongue: you will do it yourself.

2 Likes

I suppose this is trueā€¦ If I was playing with the Riftā€¦Iā€™d be blinkingā€¦

Mind=Blown.

You donā€™t blink in FPS game, but you have other strange effects, like lens flair and blood/water splatter/drops in your eye.

Heheh, you can say, we as the player still blink.
And there is a game all about blinking. forgot the name, a low budget horror game.

jep
For immersive first person i think metro 2033 nailed it
almost no HUD, everything needs the player to do something, like charging up your battery and so.

1 Like

I just emphasize what I want to explain.
Most of peoples here just have an idea of the game they want and donā€™t car about the other peoples. We donā€™t ask for the moon, right?