What is the purpose of the directional guard stances?

Hi everyone.
First post here.

I really wonder -
If i hold guard (on PC with a controller) it doesnt matter what direction im guarding at. Every incoming attack will be blocked. Henry changes his guard direction as the attack is coming by himself.

I thought it is like in For Honor where if i block right when the enemy swings from left than i will be hit… but thats not the case…

So what is the point in this convoluted directional system?

1 Like

Because that’s how it was done historically. Well kinda, it’s a bit backwards. This game tells you that if your opponant has a high guard then you should have a high guard. When really if they have a high guard then you will want a low guard as it will be easier for you to parry and block the attacks.

Check out the youtube channel Skallgrim or something like that. He focuses and practices medieval swordsmanship.

Thanks for the reply… though it doesnt answer my question.
I am not asking what is the real guard stance to be in in order to parry, but why do i even have stances in the game if stances dont matter?!

If my stance changes as the enemy attacks me, why would i care what stance im on when im defending?!
shouldnt the system require me to be in the right stance against the right attack direction? doesnt matter what direction it should be realistically, but it seems like my blocking direction doesnt matter at all…

It’s just to make it look historical. That’s it really. Their maybe some mechanics too it, but other then that. I use a shield as it is just easier to defend anyways, and it can block more damage.

but many games look historical and dont have mechanics involved in it.
And i also dont get the point of Shields. when blocking with a weapon i seem to negate 100% of the damage when i block. i just lose stamina if i dont parry on time. with a shield - the same.
realistically, correct me if im wrong, its easier to block with a shield because you dont have to move the shield much to block in all directions. you can hold it in front of you and defent from almost anywhere in front. parrying with a weapon requires more skill…
But if blockingwith a weapon doesnt require you to match the attack direction than blocking with a weapon works just like a shield and the outcome is the same…
so why would i bother using a shield??

The game is so deep in so many mechanics that im really surprised that in the defence part it is so simplified compared to games like For Honor, chivalry\mordhau, war of the roses or warband and such…

1 Like

I think there is a difference between a perfect block and a riposte and that it has something to do with a riposte. I’m not sure though because I can’t remember off the top of my head and haven’t got the game at my finger tips right now.

Chivalry is by far some of the silliest looking combat I have ever seen. Kind of like combat in most first person “squad” shooters where squad tactics are non existent or don’t work because “vidya game”. Try forming up a stack in COD. It don’t work.

1 Like

You can perform special attacks with require you to change guard. You learn that not long after the prologue.

You mean the combos? He is asking about why can you block different directions/hold the button and move the block direction if it auto blocks.

combat in mordhau in all of those games (besides For Honor) look horrible.
it is a result of giving the player the ability to move in any direction while attacking. in combat once you attack you move forward or you wont reach your enemy. In real life you cant move right and attack forward. That is why it looks stupid and silly.
It looks better in KCD, but the defense mechanics in KCD seem to be deeper and then i discovered they arent. they are only timing based. not direction based and that’s a little let down.
How can you penetrate the defense of an enemy if the enemy (AI, in this case) can simply “Hold” his guard and be safe. its strange.
The tutorial implies that you need to feint to fool the AI into guarding in the wrong direction… but if the mechanics work the same for the AI as they do for the player than this doesnt matter. The AI can not feint against the player because directional blocking doesnt exist.

1 Like

To be honest I get pissed all the time because it feels like a lot of stuff that works in the tutorial doesnt work very well in practice. It definitely needs to be worked on. But I swear I think I’m forgetting something about why you can block certain directions. Then again maybe I’m not and there was nothing to remember.

So you can prepare your guard for the next attack probably but I don’t think it has anything to do at all with the blocking

But I remember being taught how to parry, riposte then after you can ask about perfect blocking and combos and learn each of those in their own lessons. Combos are where you learn the move to hit the guy with the pommel at the end. I just can’t remember exactly. I swear there is a drill where you have to block and move your guard while blocking isn’t there. Am I misremembering already?

Ok master strike/riposte is what you learn besides combo so you learn perfect block and parry in the tutorial and those are the ones I can’t remember the tutorials for.

Just tested it with Bernard and it didn’t matter if I matched his guard, took the opposite or a random I still riposted the attack. Could be that it’s bugged and every strike you parry will riposte agienst him you never know with this game.

1 Like

I wasn’t saying the riposte was the tutorial I meant. I was saying I had confused riposte with what ever tutorial you first get at Rattay. If it didn’t take so damn long to get there I would just do it again. The tutorial I’m talking about apparently can’t be done again. The combo and master strike tutorial can. This is one of the reasons I can’t even remember the first tutorial. Either way it doesn’t seem to matter.

Combat in this game is meant to feel DYNAMIC and realistic. The combat makes you think a lot more on your feet.
I’ve played all the games you mention and this game is purely out of realism, it’s much more dynamic like real combat, instead of rock v paper v scissors

well what does this type of blocking do that the others won’t?

I don’t remember because I can’t remember what the first tutorial said. I mean it teaches you blocking then right after you learn a riposte that makes any other blocking pointless when you have a block that counters and leaves the opponent open to follow up attacks.

So I don’t really know

i don’t know then either I only know 1. Hold block and parry 2. Press when the shield turns greed and you interrupt their combo 3. Press block just as the shield pops up and you strike right away

If you hold guard, you automatically block from all directions at the cost of stamina. If you press guard as your opponent strikes, regardless of direction, you perform a “perfect block” that doesn’t cost you stamina, and it also usually prevents the opponent from hitting you with combinations since you strike their weapon away. If you press guard at the very beginning of your opponent’s attack AND you have your guard in the direction of their attack, you perform a “master strike” aka riposte.

The directional system also controls where you strike. If you attack to their guard side, obviously you’ll be blocked or counter attacked. So you want to strike where they’re open. It also controls the flow of your attacks, aka chain your attacks.

But no, it unfortunately the defense isn’t like For Honor like I’d prefer it to be, although chaining attacks together in KCD is more fluid than in For Honor.

1 Like