What we know about modding (so far)

Yeah, definitely for optimization is my guess. But thanks @tarkhan for getting your hands dirty.
Also, if I may, what do you mean by rows and columns exactly?
Would the
…\KingdomComeDeliverance\Data\Tables.pak\Libs\Tables\rpg\rpg_param.xml
table be a good candidate?
It has a row and column names with string values, so maybe it can be easier to determine the order?

My main focus is trying to find out where the handle combat events, like OnDeath and OnHit events in combat?
My inital guess was the
…\KingdomComeDeliverance\Data\Scripts.pak\Scripts\Entities\actor\BasicActor.lua

It has a OnDeath/OnHit events, and even code to produce blood decals and blood pools. If they used this, it would be very easy to mod. I’d already have a nexus mod published actually. But sadly, when I tried hooking into that OnDeath/OnHit by printing messages to the console (e.g “x was hit by y”), the messages never showed, hence the events never triggered, so it leads me to believe they are using some other solution to process combat events like this.

So I’m left with no results. I’ll have to do more digging, maybe try peeking in the the WHGame.dll next to the game .exe

Most of the code is stored in the WHGame.dll, you are correct.
Also, the game has this parameter by default: wh_sys_PreferredDB = TBL,XML []

It doesn’t seem like the .tbl is required, but maybe a better way of storing it? Must be there for a reason.

Inspected the clothing models a bit today – it looks like opacity maps are used to hide geometry for the layer system, and heightmaps are used to shrink the clothing to fit when layers are added on top. We tested this out with some of our own Seven Kingdoms models in separate programs (like Substance Painter) and it does the same thing.

Compiling models for the game is a nightmare without the skeleton in a format 3dS/Maya can open though. Here’s a look at the skeleton in CryEngine:

Unless someone has serious CryEngine knowledge and can lend a helping hand, we may be stuck waiting until Warhorse releases sample files, tutorials, or documentation to the community. No tools should be needed to get custom models in-game, just know-how.

3 Likes

I guess we can also resort to reading the credits, tracking down the programmers on twitter then messaging them/start begging.

1 Like

Youre not going to be editing anything on those CDFs as they just contain a list of the attachments, thats why they are called Character Definition Files, as you can see in the properties on the side, since the CDF’s provided with the game are encrypted I think your best shot at actually changing anything in those CDF’s is to hunt down every attachment by itself or find a way to decrypt it, there might be other ways around it, but I’d reccomend you read trough the http://docs.cryengine.com/display/CEMANUAL/Attachment+System+Tutorial+-+Character+Tool it might be of more use to clear up stuff.

Also no need for reading credits, if you look in the forums categories under the weekly torch they listed all of the people who worked on the game and their job title.

I have been trying to get rid of the audio notification of popups, when you complete quests get a new codex entry and so on. I found a bunch of triggers related to quest notifications in Gamedata.pak > gamesounds > specials and tried to change the values (distance_culling = “0”) and later also tried to delete the entries completely.
It seems to work, but the load times became super long instead, i lost patience after being stuck in one if them so i’m not sure i would ever have gotten out at all.

Is there any particular way I should go about when doing edits? this time i extracted the file, edited it and overwrote the original with my modified version. The exact names of files and variables might be incorrect, I am currently reinstalling the game to get rid of whatever i messed up. (restoring the backup still left me with long load times)

Not at the tiem, XMLs are slower to load than .TBL data and are there merely to ensure backwards compatibility if one of the .TBLs becomes corrupt, wait untill WH releases the .TBL reading and editing software and then change them.

The game files are compiled, not encrypted – many of them (like .cdf files) can be edited in Notepad. All the .skin attachments are located in the clothing .pak files and can be opened in the CryEngine character tool. Here’s the base skeleton:

The issue is that we can’t export this skeleton into a file 3ds/Maya can open. If we could, we could assign our own models to joints and compile our own .skin attachments using the CryEngine plugins for 3ds. Our best bet is to create our own skeleton matching that one, at least the main joints, and then use the preset guide above for creating the game definitions/presets.

Thanks a lot to all here for their valuable information. It’s highly appreciated. :smiley:

I’m really sorry to ask this again as it has been discussed also a bit here, but unfortunately I don’t understand it exactly as it’s a bit confusing how it should be done and which way is better.

As an example I would like to modify the rpg_param.xml file in the Tables.pak here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\KingdomComeDeliverance\Data\Tables.pak

\Libs\Tables\rpg

Option 1: directly editing the original .pak file in the installation folder

Open the original Tables.pak in the KCD installation directory and edit the rpg_param.xml file directly in it with 7zip/Notepad.

Do I need to delete the rpg_param.tbl file in the original Tables.pak that my own rpg_param.xml gets loaded correctly?

Of course I know if a new patch comes out, then I would have to do this again each time if the related original .pak file gets overwritten by the patch.

Option 2: using an own mod

Creating an own zzz_modname.pak with 7zip (copied another one and deleted all content)
Included the same directory structure and the edited file rpg_param.xml
\Libs\Tables\rpg\rpg_param.xml

Copied the zzz_modname.pak to the KCD installation folder :
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\KingdomComeDeliverance\Data\

Do I need to delete the rpg_param.tbl file in the original Tables.pak that my own rpg_param.xml from the zzz_modname.pak gets loaded correctly?

1 Like

For now my recommendation would be to back up the .tbl and .xml files youre editing, then make the changes to the .xml and delete the original .tbl which will force the game to use the .xml, just don’t go overboard on the ammount of .xml files you mod as it will make your game slow down horribly.

Was anyone able to get some Obj. files out? I’m not sure if it’s okay to share them and if not, could anyone give some tips on how to get a hold of them? Mostly looking for male model and maybe some armor as well. Don’t need textures if they’re not attached.
Cheers

Wont do you much good as there is no way to export the skeleton out of the Cryengine, but you can use winrar to open the .pak files and in there are cfg and other files in there.

Don’t need the skeleton as i’m only interested in making some assets. Can’t figure out how to get any useful format out of the cfg. I saw OP got them into crtyengine somehow but i can’t figure it out.

The listout on how to do it is somewhere in the thread just look around.

Here’s a link for converting .cgf to collada and .obj format. I was able to get textures out as well for rocks and such… tried for ryse though… haven’t tested for kingdom come but it should work…
use collada format not .obj

http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13137

Is it possible to bring back the beauty of beta, this forest, trees and plants?

Could you please quit spamming your mod request? That’s 3 separate times in the same thread…

The file converters don’t work, I tried that one already along with Noasis and 3d Object Viewer. All give you errors.

Yes it’s possible, just import the .cgf files into the CryEngine game world. You’ll want to add them to the level as a brush, not entity. Then click “level” and “export selected objects”. One of my posts above give more detailed instructions and screenshots.

3 Likes

yea didn’t work… I only get the UVs for .obj … the geometry itself is not converted properly (as in invisible mesh). Its weird though. I wouldn’t think the devs edited the cgf format cause they load into the engine just fine.

Thanks a lot AliiusCrix for your recommendation. :smiley:

Yes exactly I backup always original files which I edit.

So do you recommend to delete the original *.tbl file in the original *.pak file in both ways?

If editing an .xml file directly in the original .pak file and if creating an own mod and placing it into the installation folder?