Why NPC's don't use horses?

Simple as that. There are a lot of horses in the game, but npc’s don’t use them. Why? The Cryengine allows to use NPC’s vehicles, so why not in KCD?

For what it’s worth, later in the game a few of the major NPCs use them.

Not sure. It would be a nice update if they did. But quest NPC’s do use horses, just not the AI.

What gets me is when lords walk instead of ride. Like Radzig walks to Merhojed, and leaves his horse at Pirkstein. Lords didn’t walk anywhere back then. Horses were a status symbol, and not something just anyone got to own. A lord would never walk when he could ride.

7 Likes

if you go in the wrong direction during escape (near bridge to potter), there are Cuman on horseback

good general question though. wish there were more

That’s true. Only quest NPCs use horses.

You don’t even see working carts on the road . Like farmers taking goods to market.
Also if Cumans were such great horsemen why after the tutorial section are they always afoot?

3 Likes

and yet, cart paths everywhere. same applies to traders… why transport valuable goods by foot?

bingo. and horse traders in villages with people who don’t ride or use them to pull carts. i really hope fixing this is a part of the plan as soon as they squash the MQ bugs

1 Like

Better question: Why are there no kids in this game?

1 Like

Cos they thick as fuck

Kids not historically accurate.

Also, in those days, kids had beards.

So, fair enough.

1 Like
2 Likes

Kids… goats… goat… ein Bock… Maibock… forget Easter eggs. It’s almost May; give us Maibock and another go round with Godwin instead

Hopefully they patch Ai using horses into the game, I put this game on hold for a bit but will give it a go again once new content comes out.

1 Like

It is too much to ask NPCs to ride a horse. First they need to learn how to walk and run properly :grinning:

1 Like

+1
90% of them are blind actually - walking straight through the walls, fences, horses, ME or standing still asking “who’s there?” while I’m standing 10 feet in front of them.
Must be that advanced AI WH is bragging about.

The lack of children is related to the ESRB, you’re not allowed to have killable children in your games so a lot of developers simply don’t include them in order to play it safe.
Fallout and The Elder Scrolls games do have immortal children but they don’t endorse the mods that allow you to change that.

2 Likes

Actually collisions are switched off intentionaly by devs as workaround of NPCs having problem navigating around the objects. Check your start(up?).cfg, sorry dont remember exact spelling,in the games root folder. It is switched off together with the horse auto-navigation around objects. Try to turn them on and you will see why :grin:

1 Like

I can’t shake the feeling that they weren’t done with every aspect of horses by the time they released the game. No horse armour, no talking to people on horses, no mounted enemies and almost no one other than your character that rides them outside of scripted scenes. It might be one other aspect of the game they plan to work on as they go (or atleast they should).

1 Like

Yep, they have rather long list of “to-do” items. As long as Bannerlord will be released within reasonable time,I really dont care how long will it take KCD team to finish :grin: