Will the Beta be available for Linux?

Will the Beta be available for Linux?

6 Likes

I don’t believe so but im not 100% sure.

I hope so. I think beta should be released even for linux.

2 Likes

It looks like the final version will be released in mid-2016. So I hope the promised beta will be out around Christmas.

Rough translation of an WH-interview on a czech site, 01/02/2015:

“…As we have already said, the PC is the primary platform for us. But I’m afraid the console, Mac and Linux will build gradually during the first half of 2016…”

Source:

There is no mention of what type of port it will be ( native or wrapper ). Maybe this question should be addressed to Crytek :wink:

Yes, of course, Beta will be available for Linux :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

After many vague announcements Crytek has now officially implemented full support for Linux / OpenGL. For me, this is good news and the end of “concern”. Whenever the Linux version will be released, it will be not as bad as the Witcher II port ( for example ).

Cryengine 3.8.1 , obviously Ubuntu screen

1 Like

Is Linux Beta available as promised? Thanks.

3 Likes

Would interest me as well, if the beta will eventually come to Linux. On my old PC, I still had a Windows partition for games, but the hardware was not good enough for KC:D (no DX11). After last year’s upgrade I went Linux only.

Not really that much interested in playing the beta, as I want to experience the final game mostly unspoiled, but I wouldn’t want to miss the opportunity to hike across the beautiful game world :smile:

2 Likes

I too would love a Linux beta as I am migrating completely to the steam ecosystem on my linux system…

2 Likes

And ditto. Given Microsoft’s increasingly annoying Windows 10 shenanigans I suspect I’ll be using Linux exclusively within a year.

1 Like

I don’t have a windows on my machine for a good decade now. Gaming is getting better and better (praise Gaben). I hope the launcher works through wine, i’ll give it a shot.

Do you managed it with wine, i gave up :frowning:

Yeah, no luck with the latest wine 1.9.5 :confused:

Same here. I have Windows on second harddisk only for Beta. :confused:

“I’m back with bad news. There is no Linux version and there is just little chance to have one. Currently it is not technically possible”

1 Like

No ´bad news´ just revealing the lie of the studio!
Like most of them lying at the linuxusers during their kickstarter campaign.
For me it was the last time i ever believed what gamestudios tell.

1 Like

Since this statement is somewhat out of context, I do hope it only applies to the beta and not the game in general!?

Which would be unfortunate enough, given that beta was not previously ruled out for Linux. In my case, I don’t mind (much), as I pledged at the tier to get a physical copy and not for alpha or beta access.

But as both a Linux user and Software Engineer I really would urge that game studios that promise cross-platform titles get their act together and write truly cross-platform code from the start instead of doing half-assed, last-minute ports (if we’re lucky) or fail entirely because they bet on platform specific middleware.

3 Likes

Just to clarify, I was talkin just about Linux version of Beta.
Still does not mean that Linux Beta wont happen.

2 Likes

I hope they are working on it…

"The Beta access will be available on Windows, Linux and Mac at least; it may also be available on consoles but we cannot confirm it yet."

Waiting for this game for a long time, I paid for knight instead of soldier to get the beta. Of coure on linux, i believed their campaign. :frowning:

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. You had me worried there for a moment ;-)!

I am a bit torn on the topic, to be honest. I know you guys are working hard to get the game running on one platform first. Since you went that route, it might make little sense to open up another can of worms before the first one has been dealt with.

So from a purely professional perspective I can understand what you are doing. But as a backer and customer, all I can say is that you dropped the ball. And failed to properly communicate that in advance, which is perhaps the bigger “offense” here. Transparency and honesty can go a long way …

Anyway, things are like they are, and complaining won’t improve them. All in all I am still grateful that you support Linux, so thanks for that at least! Still looking forward to the finished game :slight_smile:

1 Like