Will there be children in the game?

My question is:
Since this game is so much focused on realism and more than half of the population in medieval times was a child by today’s definition, will there be children in the game?

I am aware that this has been discussed before, but I wanted to know whether a decision was made to put them in the game or not. If no decision was made, I suppose they won’t be in the game.
That would be somehow weird since this game is so realistic in all other aspects and since other medieval games like witcher 3 that are less realistic have children in the game.

1 Like

Children were not confirmed, and yet if they appeared they would be invincible. It would be worse to put them and not able to rob and kill like in Skyrim. This game is balance between realism and fun as stated by Tobias. Even crossbows should be in, but you can only use bows, blacksmithing is missing, and there are holy stones with names of backers… So much for realism optimization. If you do not see kids in stream, they probably are not there.

1 Like

So, you prefer no children to invincible children?
I mean, wouldn’t it be a completely different atmosphere with over half of the population being children?

Decision has been made not to make them in the (first) game.
Of course that it sucks for the atmosphere, but the costs of making them is just too high… for many reasons

Wirklich sehr sehr schade. Dieses Spiel ist fantastisch. Aber wenn die Hälfte der Bevölkerung fehlt ist das schon ein derber Schlag der die Immersion leider zerstört.
Ich frage mich auch ob es alte Leute geben wird in dem Spiel, oder ob alle gleich alt sind.

Old people are there… They scanned old people. But I dont think they made som kind of spetial animations etc for them.

Oh, I accidentally replied in German. I said:
Really a pity. This game is amazing. But when half of the population is missing, it’s really disappointing to me because it destroys the immersion.
I wonder whether there will be old people or whether everybody will have the same age.

Yes, we already have invincible few important characters without which main story would not continue. Making more of invincible characters… it would shift together with other non-interesting games, you got open world in which you are restricted to avoid doing crime on children.

Yes, I do. I prefer no children than “god-mode” children.

And please, stop already with that children topic - it is so washed, all the same year after year. It was decided long ago, by democratic vote. Most old backers prefer it to stay that way - it raises no problems and solves many of them.

Nothing personal, @Flarius

Why are you so annoyed?
This is important to me. Maybe it isn’t to you. But I’d like to enjoy the most immersive game possible.
Just out of interest: What are the problems that would occur with children, apart from idiotic laws that could get the game banned in some countries?

“Apart from laws …” You want game to sell. If game does not sell, there will be no money for making Kingdom Come II. If you break laws, game will be banned somewhere and it will sell less. That’s the only reason you need.

Apart from that I expect there will be problems with people of different sizes. You create animation of man opening the door, and it will look ok if you have all door knobs in the same height, and all people of the same height. This is how the game solves the problem now. If you put in people of half size (children), you will need a new bunch of animations, because with standard animations they would not reach knob when opening the door. It would be possible to create them, but at the beginning Warhorse decided not to (with general aggreement of community) and they cannot change mind now.

Animation issues mostly, children would need completely new set of animations. Also clothes and such would have to be rescaled and tested again(its already shitton of work with layers system), as childrens are not just small people, they have different ratios. Also I can imagine that world AI would need to be adjusted and get even more complex (different behaviors for children+extra behaviours of adults to children). Also god-mode children sucks and may cause problems. Killing children is off the table.

These are just to name a few from top of my head, it was discussed long ago.

Also that their complex AI would require complex implementation if kids. Like what they are supposed to do when their parents are dead? Tons of new behaviors for them, day cycles, animations, clothes, their models etc… And all that for various ages/sizes. I am not sure how community was involved in the decision to cut children, but it was concluded that all that work would not be worth it. Because they would have to be fake anyway, because they could not be killed due to ratings anyway…
Hopefully they will be able to afford them in sequels…

1 Like

I don’t see why not - the Witcher games handled their presence/involvement brilliantly.

3 Likes

Exactly my thought. It really sucks because in all other parts this game just feals like reality. It doesn’t even feel like a game to me, it feels incredibly real. But half of the population missing really destroys the immersion.

1 Like

Well remember MGS:V? You could kill all the children you wanted and no one complained.

Cause the game instantly failed you for doing so.

Was never banned for it, no outcry over it. Cause they made sure you avoided doing it even though you had the opportunity. But it is mostly the animations of why they were kept out.

1 Like

I’ve never bought the “not being able to kill them is more immersion breaking than them not being there” line. For one thing, if they’re there and immortal, it’s only immersion breaking if you try to kill them. But if they’re not there at all, it’s always immersion breaking, and constantly noticeable.

More Importantly, you can make them killable via a mod. Adding children via a mod is far less reasonable, and the result will not be as good.

4 Likes

it always amazed me - this approach to killing children in the games :slight_smile: while children are being abused and killed on daily basis in the real world and nobody even cares about this , in games children are untouchable :slight_smile: to make it clear - I do not care if there are kids or not - the game will fun without them for sure, just pointing out the funny approach to this subject

2 Likes

Yeah, so many hypocrites out there.

Realy? Witcher 1 cost 5.59778 million U.S. dollars, had 100 People Working on it for 5 Years. How Many work on this?
Calculate how long it needs to be done and how much money they need more and then we can talk again.

That is only for you. I don’t want imortal Children. Better no Children for me.