Will there be ...children?

yeah but they end up looking piss poor as a result.

Hardly, not if done correctly.

This is what Iā€™m getting it from. You said not being able to kill them isnā€™t very realistic, but this in response to someone asking if children will be added at all. The way you said, it didnā€™t sound like you were just giving the official reason.

My apologies.

Itā€™s one of the reasons why. I just gave a summary of a much longer dev response from God knows how long ago.

[quote=ā€œTheKnightinBlack, post:270, topic:8554ā€]

1. they cannot be killed due to rating standards as you said. They want realism but if you canā€™t kill children (i.e. Immortal) then thatā€™s not real is it?[/quote]
    I think the vast majority of gamers would have no problem with such a restriction, just like they will accept the limits for the size of the map, for example. Children that canā€™t be killed would be still be more realistic than having a world, where children donā€™t exist at all.

2) their AI is far too difficult. Imagine an AI currently. Now imagine the requirements for a child: wooden sword fighting, farming, playing in puddles/mud, running around with stick and hoop, pranks, theft. The list goes on and their is far too large a variable for them.[/quote]
It canā€™t be more difficult than the one of adult characters. The donā€™t have to do much (similar like in Witcher 3), just then being around somehow would help for the immersion.

3) This game is already going to be realistic as possible, so I doubt youā€™d want to see children burned at the stake, disemboweled, headless on pikes, etc. Thereā€™s graphic, then there is monstrous.[/quote]
ā€œChildren burned on the stakeā€? I donā€™t know why you have to go these extremes. In Witcher 3, we also didnā€™t see the dead orphans of Crookback Bog. I donā€™t think anybody had a problem with that.

4 Likes

Wouldnā€™t say they never played. Even at this time there existed some toys.
But they had earlier dutys to fullfill, depending on there age and as far as I know they normaly where viewed as adults at a age of 14 to 15.

If they have no longer any living kindship at the map the childrens could be removed from the game with the explanation that the are now living somewhere else with their kindsship from farer away.

This works equally as well!

Exactly right, is also because people Morality do not follow any reason at all, people donā€™t care for extreme violence in movies and games, but sex no that is totally forbidden, depicting the taking of a life is ok, depicting a moment of intimacy and pleasure of two living beings is wrong, reasons?

A curiosity, we look to our closest cousins, the chimp and the bonobo, the chimp solve their diferences with violence, war and males are at the top of the chain (remind you of anyone?) the bonobo solve their problems with sex and females are at the top of the chain. A group of Chimps go into other chimp territories with the single intention of killing one or more members of a rival ā€œgangā€ just to make them self feel more powerful, or to take their territory, the bonobos live in close related groups and when they found other bonobos groups they all great each other by making sex with one another, violence is very rare, who do you find more in Zooā€™s? Chimp mostly, bonobos to us are to promiscuous.

About children in the game, i also would prefer if them were in, and if making them immortal is the only way then do it, but we should think of one thing, what more emotional power feeling it would be if we went into a vilage attacked by raiders and saw along with the dead adults some children as well (no need to make their deaths gruesome) just laying there almost has if sleeping near their as well dead mother, this would imprint on the player (it would in me) a power feeling of revenge or sadness bringing the immersion and the realism of the game to other levels, also having a world devoid of children playing, their laughs, chasing butterflies or playing with wood swords, is a fake and dead world and this will impact any immersion on the game, games need to grownup, if this will not be the one to do it i hope that someday we can look at games in the same way we look at movies and divide them in, games for children and games for adults, right now games for adults 18+ are a extreme rarity and some stores even refuse to sell them.

I prefer either have a killable children NPC or donā€™t have them at all. I deeply praise @warhorse team for keeping this kind of stuff out of the game and I will explain why:

Making some NPC immortal is nonsense and ruins the same realism we are striving to get. It is not about whether you or I should kill any random NPC, it is about the game putting ridiculous limits to the gameplay based on political corectness (what a funny term) and non-related real life matters. After all, these are just some program code, 3d models and animations, nothing more. No real person is involved, only virtual non-existing things, so everything should be allowed in such a game. Besides, how come kiling an adult model in-game doesnā€™t make you bad, but killing a kid model does? Lets use a common sense here and cut off the hypocrisy.

I like the concept of player being able to kill (almost) anyone and live with the consequences, even if that means starting a new game. So much more interesting and hardcore this way. NPC are just that - NPC and I donā€™t make a difference from big NPC to small NPC, albeit ā€œadultsā€ and ā€œchildrenā€. If these smaller 3D models are to alter the gameplay and make exceptions, we are better off without them IMO.

Best wishes WH and again, many thanks that you dealt properly with that matter in the game!

See, this can be refuted by one thing: Mods. If you feel that children being in the game, but them being immortal would make it less immersive, wait 3 seconds for a mod that fixes it.

It being less immersive for some people isnā€™t a good reason, as that is easily fixed by modders. Adding in children from scratch, is not.

Yes, you are right, but that mod solution could only work if these ā€œchildrenā€ were intended to be killed in action from the very beginning and eventually (unfortunately) locked up by WH.

If these ā€œchildrenā€ are separately done, modding the option to harm them would bring many unnecessary bugs and glitches to the game, just as we had with Skyrim.

So much additional work for nothing in return, just having a smaller NPC running around and doing practically nothing. If killing is a problem, how modern society will look to the early marriages, prostitution, torture and such thing that accompanied medieval society and have to be valid for any NPC? It is too much for nothing, in my opinion.

So in reality, either they have to be killable by design or left out. :wink:

Mods are not the responsibility of the developer, no one should decide a game world or gameplay based in some hipotetic mod that could be made by the users, thereā€™s plenty of nude mods for skyrim where the female and male body is accurately depicted down to the sexual organs, and thereā€™s mods that even give you brothels and stuff, should females be removed from games so modders donā€™t have no chance to mod them?

You guys should enjoy the game the developers made and forget what OTHERS do on their spare time, if theres nude mods or killing children enabling mods it should not impact your gameplay if you donā€™t install them.

1 Like

What kind of reply is that? What did I say that would make it seem like I would say yes to that question? When did I say it was anyoneā€™s responsibility? I offered it as a solution if them being immortal was such a massive issue.

@Jlyga_u_onacHa

ā€œSo much additional work for nothing in return, just having a smaller NPC running around and doing practically nothingā€

Youā€™re the one citing immersion. If it wouldnā€™t add anything for you, I really donā€™t know why them being unkillable would take away so much. How much it adds is subjective, I donā€™t know how you can say ā€œit adds nothingā€, with any sort of certainty.

"If killing is a problem, how modern society will look to the early marriages, prostitution, torture and such thing that accompanied medieval society and have to be valid for any NPC? "

I donā€™t know what you mean. I donā€™t see killing as a problem, ratings boards do.

ā€œmodding the option to harm them would bring many unnecessary bugs and glitches to the game, just as we had with Skyrim.ā€

Citation needed. There are inconsistencies with NPCs as they didnā€™t expect children to die (even though they recorded their death noises), but I donā€™t recall any actual bugs.

Iā€™d love it if they made the game as if they could be killed, but then disabled it, that would be the best possible scenario (barring every ratings board exploding). I donā€™t know why you say that as if Iā€™m agasint it. Remember, I offered modding as a solution if you really couldnā€™t stand immortal kids, I didnā€™t say it was ideal, just that I feel it would be better than just not having them. Again, immersion comes down to the individual, you canā€™t just say it adds nothing like it applies across the board.

Definitely there should be some, even if not manyā€¦ the world is a little bit empty without them atm.

Actually, there should be too many children to be accurate. And the most of the women would be pregnant. But including them properly would bring issues not only with ratings, but some design and technical. It was decided long back that they will try to implement them in sequels. And it is a good decision to focus on more important things for now imho

Again, I donā€™t see how then not even existing is more realistic than them not being totally accurate.

Iā€™m fine with it being done later.

I agree. The thing is that just having them (even immortal) is a challange for many other reasons

So is adding in women, or anything really:P

they should try to add a few here and there, maybe a quest or two about missing children who got lost in the woods or something.

But please try to not make adults voice said childrens because its noticeable and can be cringy.