Will there be ...children?

That’s actually an interesting point, I can’t recall a single game with a pregnant woman in it. I’ve never thought about it, so I might missed it though. However, I think it wouldn’t be a good idea to have pregnant women in KCD if there weren’t any children. They would have to be pregnant forever. :smile:

That’s the reason, why I want to see the complete package of aging, from “birth” to death. It makes no sense for me to split this and only showing fragments in a game.

The only discussion I would allow is, to replace the pregnant women with a stork. :wink:

May I remind you that this is RPG and not Sims?

1 Like

A dynamic life cycle would be pretty amazing, but Act 1 takes place during a few months time so at least for this it wouldn’t work.

I don’t want to imagine how much work that would be to implement, but I would pay to make it happen.

Well it’s realistic to have them in the game, mostly because they like to slaughter innocent people back in those days, that includes women and children, not even mentioning torture, burning and rape. However those things, how realistic and historically correct they are, will never be in a game since it’s still taboo. One of the few things game developers still don’t implement because of “fear of reactions” and “ratings”. They same can be said about games taking place in World War I or II. You will never play as a nazi shooting the Americans or somebody else (unless online) since it’s to taboo aswell.

i think in the end it was decided technical and design issues were too overwhelming to overcome for this problem. because it’s clear the more realistic option is to have children. probably only 5% of players will go around killing children, so immortality is no issue. the problem is just how the npc world must be designed to accomodate these immortal children.

1 Like

Sure, for Act 1 the time period is to short to do this. But maybe in Act 2 and/or Act 3?

Yes it seems that this is a lot of work. I’m not a programmer, so I don’t know.
At last I hope that Warhorse will make it true or a modding team will make it happened.

Really enjoyed the Beta today, and riding the horse in the rain along a dirt path with the music was magical.

I was wondering if there will be children in the game? Beggars, and signs of poverty here and there?

It did feel from time to time i was back in the medieval period, but in real life, children and beggars would be in most places,

i know its in beta, but having no children etc will take away some of the realism…

I agree, I hope they aren’t leaving out children because you can’t treat them realistically (i.e. killing them) due to rating limitations. I think we’d all be completely fine with godmode children that can’t die. Maybe if their parents are killed they can be moved to an orphanage or taken in, though. I think an orphanage is easier programmatically than having ai take in other ai’s children

having no children

There will be no children for the game, for various reasons such as:

1. they cannot be killed due to rating standards as you said. They want realism but if you can’t kill children (i.e. Immortal) then that’s not real is it?

2. their AI is far too difficult. Imagine an AI currently. Now imagine the requirements for a child: wooden sword fighting, farming, playing in puddles/mud, running around with stick and hoop, pranks, theft. The list goes on and their is far too large a variable for them.

3. This game is already going to be realistic as possible, so I doubt you’d want to see children burned at the stake, disemboweled, headless on pikes, etc. There’s graphic, then there is monstrous.

1 Like

It’s no more unrealistic than no children existing at all

Why do they need to be that detailed? Hell in Skyrim all they did was chase eachother around playing tag and that alone added tons to the game.

4 Likes

Children never played in Medieval times… they worked in the fields…

all you would need is some children here and there working in the fields…

1 Like

As far as I am aware, kids aren’t there mostly because of work it would take to make them. They would have to create separate skeleton, motion capture all the movements separately and so on. Plus the AI work wouldn’t be easy, since if you killed the parents for instance, they would have to somehow react to it, move to another household or some such.

I don’t think it’s because of rating, since making them immortal would be simple and probably more realistic than not having them in the world at all.

But yeah, it’s certainly a shame, it would make the world far more alive than it is now.

3 Likes

I have no interest in any way to be able to kill kids in video games.
How ever, I think it’s just complete and utter bullshit not be able to do it if they are in game.
Political correctness is the cuckolding of video games. It has made and will make tons of games lose their balls just because some nations still have traumas from their past.
Eyes - closed, ears - plugged, mouth - shut = political correctness cuckolding.

4 Likes

You could just scale down the skeleton, the same goes for animations if time is constraint. The AI you mentioned wouldn’t be difficult, being sad and changing house is hardly a massive undertaking to code.

@TheKnightinBlack Your reasoning is flawed, as someone else said, you seem to think a complete absence of children is somehow more realistic than them being there, but not being treated/acting like they would have. You don’t need perfect children AI for a boost to immersion.

As for the violence thing, that’s just arbitrary. It can’t be added for rating board reasons, but it isn’t a secret that the general standard people have (including you apparently) is royally fucked. 1000s if adults die horribly in war, perfectly fine to depict in detail, no one cares - One child gets even just a painless death on camera, everyone freaks the fuck out like you just started another holocaust. I understand ratings boards don’t allow it, but please don’t perpetuate that rubbish, it isn’t helping the industry get past it.

2 Likes

In my opinion, a game that sets out to be realistic needs to have children. It is required from a immersion perspective. Why bother going lenghts to make architecture spot on down the last beam and to render plants realisticly (something that 99% of us wouldn’t be able to tell wether it is period-accurate or not) and then ommit children?!? It doesn’t make any sense.

4 Likes

Your reasoning is flawed, as someone else said, you seem to think a complete absence of children is somehow more realistic

Where are you getting that from? All I said is the devs aren’t putting children in for the reasons they gave, which I then gave you. Don’t put words in my mouth that I didn’t say.

You can downscale skeletons and rig a child mesh to them, using the adult animations. This is how Fallout/Skyrim and actually a ton of games do it.

[quote=“Alabie, post:278, topic:8554”]
You can downscale skeletons and rig a child mesh to them
[/quote]Interestingly, Timmy “The Colossus” looks like a child. They could have at least made him a little bigger. I’d also like to see the difference between a 10 strength Henry and a ripped 30 strength version in his appearance.

they didn’t have anavar at this time, so i’m sure the difference wouldn’t be really noticeable or worth the time and effort to implement