Will there be ...children?

@warhorse @TobiTobsen

I understand that adding children to act 1 won’t be possible due to cost and time limitations.

But Dan said that you guys plan to add them for act 2.

Is there any possibility that kids are added to act 1 after that as some kind of retroactive patch? I mean just for “ambience” measures, not a full story integration or something. I think the whole triology would benefit a lot from having children in all three acts, once you’re done with your solution how to implement them. I’d play the whole triology surely more than just once so having children at a later playthrough in all acts would be great.:wink:

4 Likes

Interesting point. I would just say: “Never say never” and wait what will happen! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are there any news on this? In the witcher 3 there are lot of children (and mission where they disappear - 3 witches) and simply you cannot kill them.

No news on that. Still a complex topic with no right answer. :frowning:

Why you cannot implement this simply like the witcher?
Sorry for question but I wanna simply understand…:frowning:

If it was an easy question then no one would argue about it… and you would have less to discuss! :smiley: haha :smiley: … no really Dan will come up with the best solution I am sure! We need to trust him in terms of the Design. But as usually… sometimes compromises are not avoidable! :frowning:

Ok, the topic is old and most things have been said already. And I have to admit that I didn’t had the time to read them all :slight_smile: But I have to admit that playing the alpha and walking through the village with a lot of peasants it feels wrong not see children in the street. During that time especially farmers were producing children like rabbits, ok many died from hunger but when I see the storages of every house I doubt that this would be an argument :slight_smile: The streets look soul-less without children playing arround. How could someone create a middleaged village in Europe and forget this most important thing? However, thats not criticizing but wondering. You can also make an NPC immortal without any big trouble, this should fix the problem of slaughtering them. Imagine the opportunity children will give you also questwise…

3 Likes

maybe just have children despawn when their adult handlers are killed. we can assume or pretend they were adopted or died off. i mean this in response to immortal children and how they shall be designed to function in the world.

3 Likes

I’m not going to read through EVERYTHING here, so someone may have said this, but why not, at the very least, release the game with children that can’t die, and afterwards, release an unofficially-official mod that fixes it.

Everybody wins! We get full, non censored functionality, and they don’t lose any sales, or get banned.

Right?

2 Likes

Kids being (im)mortal is the least of problems unfortunately.

Can you elaborate further?

If I may.
From what I remember way back when this topic was fresh. Problem is that devs want to be realistic and authentic and overall the game is meant to be whole lot about immersion.

Having immortal children running around is not: realistic, authentic and definitely not immersing.
But neither the lack of children is.

As to reason why children cannot die is probably because of sponsors and how the game would be rated.

Decision had to be made. And it was decided that the game will have no children.
Correct me someone if I am wrong @MadSmejki @TobiTobsen @Hellboy, but I think thats the reason.

Simply said it has nothing to do with desing but with outer influences.

More unrealistic is children absention.

1 Like

Thx a lot for your answer! I hope they will change this because as Jura statet it would be awfull running through villages/ cities without the most importand part of the society (the future).
Maybe they can come up with a story /quest-line the missing children? Could be a story like [Pied Piper of Hamelin][1]
[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied_Piper_of_Hamelin

Uh… I don’t think drawing attention to a game flaw through a quest, is a great idea:P Completely ignoring it would be the only way.

Even if they are immortal, it would be far better for them to still be there. That way, as I said, an unofficially official mod could be released that restores child death functionality. Does anyone see an issue with that idea?

IIRC there were issues with the AI for the children, not just the question of whether they should be killed. Still hoping against hope that Warhorse find a way to sort it out. :disappointed:

Why only discuss childrens and not the whole bunch?

1. pregnant women
  2. baby
  3. young child
  4. child
  5. teenager
  6. young adult
  7. adult of medium age
  8. old adult
  9. aged (wo)men

I would like to see all of them.

3 Likes

that is actually interesting point

And it would be interesting to see them aging during the three acts.

Technological and design troubles. Not unsolvable but currently not worth our focus. We might reintroduce them later. Might.

1 Like