Will there be guns in the game?

Seeing as the game is set in the 1400’s, and that guns were becoming more common around medieval Europe, will there be simple firearms in the game at all?

1 Like

In this period of time fireguns were very rare, not a close to common.

2 Likes

Maybe A cannon but I’d be very surprised to see any type of handheld firearm.

Guns are being considered. Although they existed for circa a hundred years already they were very rare and extremely expensive. But were becoming more common very quickly just few years later. So it is more or less likely.

5 Likes

Firearms of the “Tannenberg type” is very simple and can be made by even a village blacksmith. So cheap and easy to produce in large numbers. Much cheaper and easier than crossbows.
(the gun was found in the ruins of castle Tannenberg. The castles was destroyed in 1399, so naturally the gun was made before this.)

But the powder is rather expensive. But as Mad_Smejki writes, the price changed rather quickly in this period and became a lot cheaper.

With the story in 1403 it is properly not that important. But if later acts jump some years to the Hussite wars, just a few years later, there is really no way around having firearms Since we have written sources telling us that they where in wide use.

And as allways, It is nice to get an official reply.

2 Likes

So glad to hear that.
BTW are you going to put there some Fallout reference? :smiley:

Man, there’s quite a bunch of die hard Fallout fans so I can’t imagine there being none :smiley:

2 Likes

Give us the option to nuke a castle.

1 Like

I kinda hope not. The more common guns came to be in the Medieval age, armour started to become less practical.

Just looked this up from about.com: 1400s: Matchlock guns - first mechanically firing of guns. Wicks were now attached to a clamp that sprang into gunpowder that was placed in a “flash pan”. http://inventors.about.com/od/militaryhistoryinventions/a/firearms_2.htm

Seems inevitable…:frowning:

But on the other hand, armour was used by infantry until the late 17th century.
In 1988-89 Landeszeughaus in Graz, Austria did extensive tests.
An original 18kg heavy spanish wheellock from the 1580ties shot clean thought 4mm of modern steel at 100m.
(having the energy of 6980J when fired)
But an original 2,50kg musket from the early 16th century could only handel 1mm at 100m, and 2mm out to 30m.
So against this musket armour would have very usefull.

I would argue that firearms was more common on the late medieval battlefield than bows was. (when talking central Europe)

But I guess there is not much reason to debate it any longer since we got an official reply.

I’ve just started going back and playing Fallout 3 again, for that matter.

I would be very happy to see handcannons ingame and it would fit to the dev’s philosophy to differ from fantasy games. Gunpowder weapons are considered as not suitable for medieval fantasy theme.

I was really upset in The Witcher (especially in part 2), where the armor, cloth and weapons were inspired by late 15th century, when matchlock muskets or arquebuses were significant infantry weapons and there were no gunpowder weapons ingame…

Personally I hope to see no firearms. If they were historically accurate to the region at that time I cannot say (there are plenty of history buffs on these forums who can answer that). For the experience of playing a knight though I’d like to play in the era were the sword and armor were still the common materials of choice. Just my two cents.

1 Like

This is common “imagination” made by fantasy and fairy tales - fullplate armor knights and no gunpowder weapons, but the truth is, that gunpowder infatry weapons and fullplate armor started to appear in European battlefields in the same period.
Late ghotic full plate armor = first matchlock muskets in the hands of infatry…

I’m also in the “no guns” camp.

3 Likes

I read about armor usage on Wikipedia and the French army used breastplates in the WW1, at least at the beginning. Of course it was very uncommon at that time already, but it is still interesting:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/French_cuirass_of_WWI.jpg That’s a picture of WW1 French soldiers.

Well, I think a lot of fans of Sapkowski’s work would be really upset to see gunpowder weapons there :slight_smile: Fantasy is just that - fantasy. In fact, I think most authors just limit themselves too much there. Why 4 seasons? Why 24 hour long days? Why even have humans there (although this one makes sense, as humans relate to human characters better than to amorphous green floating blob heroes :smiley: )? I think fantasy authors should make it more weird and exotic, not more like actual history (plus obligatory magic, elves and dwarves). Planescape is a nice fantasy setting for example. But I guess I should stop my rant now, since this has nothing to do with the topic anymore :slight_smile:

So this is becoming a shooter now? :frowning:

Can I craft me some nice scope then to give nice bloody headshots from a distance so people don’t know who killed the guy because they aren’t able to recognize where the shot was coming from?
Or for example will it be possible to attach a silencer to my gatling gun which I robbed from that arsenal last night?

PS:
What also should be considered (even guns existed at that time) is how widespread their usage was.

1 Like

There are people here who are obviously better versed in this period of history than I, so perhaps it is better that I went away and read a few books first. :smile:

However, provided that this is handled with care and is accurate to the time period and location that it is based upon then I do not see a problem. I doubt firearms from this period would be particularly reliable and that a crossbow would likely be a better choice of weapon from an overall perspective, but I am certainly no expert in this regard.

No I don’t think so, and the hyperbole and sarcasm in your comment isn’t necessary or adding anything to the discussion.

2 Likes

Quite a bit actually. And the Hussites (as it was mentioned here) used them in large numbers (this is only about 15 years before the hussite wars), someone mentioned that a quarter of their arms were guns. But of course these were not the kind of guns you would run around with. You would not be able to shoot one very often, they took a lot of time to reload (you would manually insert the gunpowder and the bullet and then you had to light the gunpowder with a burning stick so you can imagine how long that took). Still, the chance you encounter one in a battle was relatively high even in 1403 and almost sure later. However, the chance someone would walk around the countryside with one such gun would be pretty much zero. Those guns were useful for the battlefield but useless for personal defense…you can shoot (at best) one bullet and then you are done for. In a battle that is not a problem as you ca hide behind the tower shields held by your fellow soldiers or some other cover and reload.