Will there be... sex?

Yes! *
But, what “kind” of, and when??

There is an interesting article:

The Medieval Church did not like sex (in thechurch or otherwise)

Throughout the Middle Ages you can find various religious laws and proclamations that tried to restrict when, how and with whom you could have sex. For example, people were not to have sex on Sundays, because that was the Lord’s Day, and also on Thursdays and Fridays, which were supposed to be days preparing for Communion. There were also three lengthy periods of abstinence – during Lent, which could last between 47 to 62 days; before Christmas, which could be at least 35 days; and around the Feast of Pentecost, which could range from between 40 to 60 days. Also, many Feast days for particular Saints would be considered no-sex days as well.

Here is a helpful chart:

Thank god, I don´t live in Middle Ages :grinning:

There will be sex:

Gestern hatten wir beispielsweise eine solche Kontroverse, die das Thema einer möglichen Sexszene im Spiel enthielt. Ein Teil des Teams war der Meinung, die Szene würde nur drin sein, damit eben eine Sexszene enthalten sei, ein anderer Teil des Teams empfand die Szene nur als logische Konsequenz, bedingt durch die vorgegebene Quest. Wir haben uns darauf geeinigt, dass es die Szene geben wird, allerdings in einer etwas anderen Form, als ich sie ursprünglich geplant hatte, um sie für alle im Team akzeptabel zu machen.

Google:

Yesterday we had, for example, such a controversy that contained the subject of a possible sex scene in the game. Part of the team felt that the scene would only be there to bring a sex scene into it, another part of the team looked at the scene just as a logical consequence, due to the given quest. We have agreed that there will be the scene, but in a slightly different form than I had originally planned, to make it for everyone in the team acceptable.

2 Likes

The rules for having sex were strict, but I think that they were quite often broken. At least lots of punishments are recorded to be carried out for having sex when/where the church said it was forbidden. Also I imagine that the whole concept of sex must have felt very different in a world where the concept of “romantic love” was still not very much estabilished. I hope that they are going to somehow reflect this in the game.

play your cards right and there might be :wink:

1 Like

i think religious rules on sex generally only applied to women :slight_smile: . as they seem too today is certain sections of the world
there are plenty of tales of medieval troops raping , brothels etc especially amongst the rich i would imagine

I’m sure Henry will get lucky because let’s be honest he’s a sexy bastard!!

No the rules would apply to both men and women in this case. This isn’t like Islam where only women are punished for have sex out side of marriage. The punishments would probably involve confession and then a penance.

A bit or irony the church actually allowed brothels because they felt it prevented adultery. So having some fun in a whore house would be completely accepted in the games time period :wink:

1 Like

Ummm Misogyny is and was a commonplace in Christianity as well, Islam has just kept the tradition alive better.

this statement should be enough proof for yah, unless you have some evidence that women were allowed to visit these brothels as well.

1 Like

I dont know, our culture is pretty “pleasure tolerant”. We are usualy on the top of those kind of naughty statistics (number of sex partners etc.). I dont think that for example getting merried as a virgin was percieved as something honorable on villages. Maybe even quite suspicious I guess. Like you dont have enought drive for your life. I just feel that slavic sex life was healthy regadless church influence…

The punishments listed in the linked article are mostly fasting. It’s not specified when you have to fast so it’s common to do it later in live when you are old. Generally it should be noted that just because there are laws that doesn’t necessarily mean that they where enforced or followed. (Isn’t the hole point of christianity that humans are sinfull anyway, but might get away with it if they try there best, because jesus is so generous?) But these laws definitly show the church general attitude toward sex. And the flowchart is hilarious thank you.

ALLOWED brothels? Hell, there were some cases of the Church OPERATING brothels (usually under the table, but nonetheless). There’s a good reason why “nunnery” became slang for a whore house.

The truth is that just like today, there’s what the guys in charge SAID you were supposed to do. And then there’s what people ACTUALLY did. The laws on sex weren’t particularly enforceable, so I’m sure they were broken FAR more often than not.

4 Likes

And it is the catholic church, you can sin whereever you want and have sex everywhere as log as you regret your sin, find your way to Jesus, go to confession and of course the most important: buy a letter of indulgence. You only have to be afrait if you don´t have the money to buy this kind of letter.

I must disagree

with usage of present tense.

For that matter, it’s speculated that a good number of the orphans taken in by monasteries during the Middle Ages were very likely fathered BY one of the priests (commented on this a bit in my novella), as monasteries were a particularly convenient place to stash them to hide the evidence.

1 Like

The church has never taught men to be violent towards women. Islam on the other hand a women will be stoned for being raped, are forced to wear head coverings, they carve up their vaginas to make them more sexually pleasurable. ect.

The church of the middle ages was very flawed and corrupt but misogyny was not one of its flaws.

? How is that misogyny. If i a women wanted to open a male brothel I’m sure she wouldn’t be stopped. Usually brothels would run be a women.

Since when has Misogyny been defined solely on physical violence?

Read, not one but as many definitions as you can of misogyny (because semantics is a bitch) and then study the old testament.

I can’t for the life of me find one shred of evidence that women were given the same right as men to visit brothels, that’s misogyny.

Also outside of roman culture and Edo period Japan I cannot find any evidence of male prostitutes before modern times. Interesting enough both of theses cultures didn’t have high stigma on homosexuality which could suggest even the male prostitutes were visited by male patrons.

Early 19th century in France, state controlled brothels were bound by law to be run by a woman (commonly former prostitute) and since then has become common trend in Europe.

There is little documentation on management of brothels other then being called keepers.

There is however plenty about how the were facilitated and the many stipulations they had to abide by, such not being open on Sunday.

Do keep in mind that just like Christians, there’s Muslims who ignore what their religion ACTUALLY says to subvert it for their own ends and beliefs. The Koran actually decries a lot of these things that happens to women in ultra-fundamentalist Islamic societies (there’s actually a LOT of protection of women’s rights under Shariah AS IT’S WRITTEN that’s ignored as it’s PRACTICED).

1 Like

You’ve studied the old testament? Or have you read a quote online that was probably taken out of context? I’m going with the latter.

See this is the issue with anti Christian/Muslim apologists. You just use the old testament to try to say Christian is as a bad as Islam.

I have news for you the old testament is more of the history part of the bible. There’s a whole second part to it.

And that’s relevant how?

Fine then a large portion of Muslims are not following the Koran i guess.

So what do you guys think of the Mohammed contest in Texas that was shot up? Funny how things mocking Jesus aren’t shot up but things mocking Mohammed are.

What im trying to get at before this topic was derailed is that men and women were forbidden to have sex out side of marriage unless it was at a brothel. But contrary to popular belief the church was not constantly montiering every little thing normal people did.

The entire situation was just plain stupid. The guys doing the shooting were stupid, and the people holding the contest were stupid. It has nothing to do with free speech. It’s a bunch of idiots deliberately trying to offend and provoke that very reaction. Free speech carries with it a need to use it RESPONSIBLY. I have the write to caricature Mohammed if I want, but I don’t. And it’s NOT out of fear; it’s because I RESPECT the beliefs of another culture who sees any such depictions as offensive.

As for those who think there’s no such thing as Christian terrorism, have a gander here.

The definition of “outside of marriage” is a pretty loose thing, too. It wasn’t even until the early-mid 13th century that you finally saw the church try to do away with common-law marriages, and it was completely possible for a man and woman to declare themselves married and that was the end of it.

That’s not even getting into courtesans and mistresses…

Nope sorry the people having the contest were not in the wrong in anyway. Family guy mocks Christianity Jesus constantly. Would you say they’re exercising free speech or provoking people? The difference is Fox studios hasn’t been shot up by Christians.

Islamic terrorists are far more common than Christian terrorists are. 15-25 % of Muslims are extremists (wiling to kill and die for their religion) that is a huge number. That would be like 150-300 million people.

Exactly the kind of thing i wanted to talk before someone derailed this topic. Yes the church was actually pretty lax on average people. Most movies and shows like to show a iron fisted big brother kind of government. But in reality they didn’t give a shit about he common people really. Corruption was a huge problem so the popes and bishops would probably be worried more about indulgences, and taxes than what the peasants were doing in bed.

1 Like

aka you’re afraid of offending people and don’t understand the concept of freedom of expression.

islam doesn’t get a pass. their offended feelings are meaningless in a practical, pluralistic society.

bottomline: the only reason islam gets this privileged status is because they commit violent acts on the basis of being offended, and people are so cowardly and whipped by this, that they’ve adapted this pathetic obsequiousness in the guise of cultural understanding and tolerance.

anyone who is actually “tolerant” enough to say they won’t draw something because it offends certain religious people need to stop playing games, or needs to stop listening to western music and watching western film, because those things are offensive to certain religious islamic sects. anything at anytime can be “offensive” to someone. when they shoot you for being offended, then your tolerance of that is no longer “respect”, it’s something more sick and masochistic.

1 Like