You Favorite RPG Games and Why

Baldurs Gate 1+2, Deus Ex +HR, Gothic 1+2, Witcher 1+2 are my favorites. But I like many more… :wink:

But I hate everything that looks like JRPG. I can’t stand that anime/manga style, sorry…

3 Likes

Because I don’t have much time I will simply say Final Fantasy VII, Tales Of Symphonia, and out of time so can’t mention the rest, but those two are fantastic.

In order, kinda:
Fallout 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Planescape: Torment
Baldur’s Gate 2
Fallout 1
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
DayZ (yeah, best RPG of not-RPGs-at-all in the world!)
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
The Witcher 2
Gothic 2
TES3: Morrowind
Crusader Kings 2 (yeah, best RPG of the best hardcore strategy games!)
The Witcher 1
Alpha Protocol
Gothic 1
Mount and Blade: Warband
Mass Effect 1
TES 5: Skyrim
Arx Fatalis
Dragon Age: Origins

Honorable mention for a liteRPG:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

4 Likes

There’s already a similar thread:

Seems people have a lot of ‘favorites’.

One of my overall favorite games:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

reasons:

• Body awareness

you can see your body at all times

• Movement in combat and combat itself

You Head moves according to your sword strike etc.
    That’s why I don’t like TES where it seems motionless and static.

And of course as you stated yourself:
    “great and interesting combat mechanics”

I really like kicking people off a cliff. :smiley:
    Will there be some kicking in Kingdom Come?

• Atmosphere & Design

A dark and gritty world.
    Beautifully designed places, e.g. the Necropolis.
    But there are so many places I like, I can’t remember their names right now.
    About time to play it again. :slight_smile:

• Sound

Your steps sound really massive as if you were some huge boulder or something.
    I especially like the sound of your foot steps on wood.
    Overall the sound is very immersive.

At around 5:30 (since time codes in the links don’t work)

At around 2:30 wood sound can be heard when he’s walking down the stairs in the middle.

I really hope the sound of the foot steps in Kingdom Come will be as ‘massive’ as in Dark Messiah.

• Playing the evil guy

There aren’t much games where you are THE Dark Messiah himself. :slight_smile:
    Actually the guy isn’t that evil.

Things I don’t like:

• the linearity
  • the spiders :frowning:

Another very good game:

best feature:
Punching People (takedown), punching through walls.
Looks cool, feels cool.

:smiley:

3 Likes

Plenty of good lists here, I’m not adding anything new. In no particular order…

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3
The Witcher 2

That’s about it as far as RPG’s go I’m afraid, I tend to play a much wider variety of games and so don’t have the time to focus on one specific genre. :frowning:

Dark messiah for its unique combat system sword, staff, magic (using the frost spell in front of stairs or cliff is hilarious) and the story letting you being the bad guy

Definitely The Witcher series and the Gothic series, especially Gothic 3.

The Witcher: Because it is an awesome world. It has a grubby feel. It is dirty. It has sex.

Gothic 3: Because it’s beautifully done. There’s so much fun playing that game. The atmosphere is awesome.

1. Planescape: Torment (best narrative RPG ever made. Stop.)
  2. Baldur’s Gate II
  3. Fallout
  4. System Shock 2 (my all time favourite videogame, and the perfect FPS/RPG)
  5. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
  6. SW: Knight of the Old Republic
  7. Arcanum
  8. Temple of Elemental Evil (best D&D 3.5 experience ever made)
  9. Fallout: New Vegas
  10. Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
1 Like

Gothic and The Witcher series.

Edit: I forgot “the why”. Gothic because of the story, the world and the freedom of gameplay. The Witcher for the story.

He (the books too)

…and Oblivion, Dark Messiah, Fallout… and when I was younger FFVII

@Cerberus (off topic) how embed video?? I try with the youtube embed code but doesn’t work. thanks

On the console, it absolutely has to be FFIX as it was the first RPG I truly became invested in and ended up emotionally attached to characters. I loved the story, the gameplay and (at the time) the graphics, but I feel I also have to mention the soundtrack. Uematsu’s scores for the Final Fantasy games are all amazing and really help to make them the fantastic games they are.

In terms of PC RPGs, there are two that really stand out as being influential for me.

The first of these is Wizardry 8, which I feel is really an underrated game, at least amongst the people I speak to. Sure, it’s nothing amazing graphically, but it has a fantastic storyline and the range of combinations you can make in your party is astounding. It was the first game I played where you could build each individual member of your party, completely customise their skill set, and develop them for different roles as the game progressed. It also had some interesting locations and races.

The other is Morrowind, which was the first huge, open RPG that I played and the first to focus on a single character rather than a party. I spent so much time exploring the world and completing side quests that, to this day, I have not even made it half-way through the main storyline. I could see myself continuing to play this game for a very long time indeed.

1 Like

Because I am old school (and was in school for years and missed some of the potentially great RPG’s), FFVII, FFVIII, and FFIX, FTW! :smile:

Hopefully, this game will supplant them in the not-so-distant future!

Is Albion too old for you guys? I would place it on my personal top along with Planescape.

To be honest I just didn’t enjoy Albion all that much. There was something about its dungeons that kept pushing me away from the game. Seems good tho.

1 Like

Deus Ex (I honestly love all of them, first one being the “first” :smile: but I love Invisible War, Human Revolution and The Fall all the same)
Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn + Throne of Bhaal
Planescape: Torment
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Neverwinter Nights especially Hordes of the Underdark
Neverwinter Nights 2 especially Storm of Zehir
Inquisitor
Mass Effect 2 (ME1 is OK but ME2 has improved much by removing the boredom out of ME concept)
Witcher 1+2
Arx Fatalis
Dragon Age: Origins
Fable: The Lost Chapters
and System Shock 2 obviously :smile:

2 Likes

@KarChee Psh, I posted a text-based MUD. How’s THAT for old. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I don’t know, I just copied & pasted the video URLs.

PS: Why do most of the people just throw their lists into this thread. Didn’t the OP ask for reasons (why)? Maybe so readers could get an idea and consider to try them out for themselves if they like the description?

2 Likes

Thanks.

I didn’t write the reassons of my favourites RPGs because I wrote from my mobile and it’s complicated to write long text

I totally forgot two of the best RPG of the last decade:

Venetica (which is some sort of action RPG) - because it has really interesting and fresh ideas. I love the setting.

The Dark Eye: Drakensang - because this game is the most beautiful game for a long, long time. In fact, I’d place it even before Privateer (which is no classic RPG but still is one). It is absolutely gorgeous, in design, atmosphere and story.

Since I mentioned it: Wing Commander Privateer. Not your classic RPG, but it offers some possibilities.
And I don’t know if GTA: San Andreas counts as RPG, too - but I think depending on how you play it, it does. Then it is on my top list, too - because it offers so much possibilities, side quests and exploration.

1 Like

Gothic&Nehrim

I loved playing the first two Gothic games.
I prefere playing a character with a voice and a personality. Also, it delivered many opportunities to solve quests and had an awesome story. I loved wandering around in it’s atmospheric World, finding some sidequests and secrets. And it’s one of the few games with a decent german synchronisation!

Nehrim is a total conversion of the bethesda rpg Oblivion made by SureAI, a rather professional modding-team from Germany.I never thought i’d enjoy a mod so much more than the actual game. Nehrim tells an unconventional and mind-blowing story with great characters and shocking plot twists. It’s completely new and beautiful world is full of secrets and beautiful regions. It’s leveling system is much like the one in the Gothic series. It also includes one of the best synchronisation I’ve heard in a videogame, by professional speakers. If you own Oblivion, go play it NOW!

2 Likes