Combat, Blocking, and Parrying in 0.4

And how do you (during the clash) decide, which action to do? I think stab command will result in pommel strike, kick command should result in a kick (didnā€™t try it yet) and how do you shove?

Also, is there some timing, similar to parrying/dodging? Sometimes I fail to execute the action, even though I have enough stamina, especially if Iā€™m mashing ^^

F (Left Trigger) is push, R-Mouse(Right Trigger) is kick and L-Mouse (Right Bumper) is Punch/hit

Is it a combo that throws the enemy to the ground?

I have had the AI do it to me several times just cannot figure out how to do it on them.

It seems that if you go evade back too much the enemy seeā€™s through this and pushes you. I have tried countless comboā€™s but I canā€™t seem to figure this one out.

Currently I think itā€™s a combo weā€™re not made aware of, that or enemies arenā€™t as predictable as we humans.

1 Like

I have recorded a couple of duels last night. Are we allowed to post gameplay videos (this being an alpha and such)?

STAB ATTACK, UPPER LEFT SLASH ATTACK AND WHICHEVER SLASH ATTACK :horse:

2 Likes

rly, Tobi told me it was STAB + UPPER LEFT SLASH + STAB; but i could not get the enemy to the ground. Now I know why.

2 Likes

Here is a compilation of a few rather strange moves that the advanced AI pulled on me last night.

Can players perform these moves?

1. Counter-attack from dodge (instead of parry)
  2. Use clash moves like pommel strike and halfswording during counter-attack (after parry) instead of a normal attack
  3. What was that swirl thing? Did he shove me or is that some glitch? Or some cool move?!

Here are all videos I recorded last night:
Note my fight #3 against the beginner AI, after holding my ground against harder opponents, I got bested by a supposedly easy opponent (I was really trying to win that fight!).
Fight #6 was my first time when I defeated the Advanced AI.

1 Like

They seem to be able to perform more attacks.I think they are either not implemented for the player(controls) or weā€™re in the dark about how to perform them.

I really want to be able to do that shove thing,where they push you over.

I believe this is the case.
I also got knocked down once, but apparently I wasnā€™t recording that fight.

Combat in this game is a good step for medieval games. The concept is nice but as already mentioned it has only stances correct from historical fencing. It looks to me as stage fighting. What i miss mostly is counter-cut, it could be initiated same way as blocking when opponent is striking you you could strike into the attack, deflect the blade and hit your opponent. The parry-deflection here is something that is used when enemies are closer to each other. The thing that i dont like mostly is the crossing of swords this is a Hollywood move. Also as sad before the armored combat should be different from non-armored. But i hope this is only due to alfa.

Itā€™s a player who should change the way how they fight against armored oponents. The game already offers various options. I really doubt there will be two different kinds of combat, that doesnā€™t even make sense.

It seems to me that too many people here forget KC:D is supposed to be a reaslitic game, and not a simulator. Itā€™s obvious that the combat will be far from 100% realistic, Warhorse never claimed it to be so, the usual phrase they use is ā€œas realistic as possibleā€ closely followed by ā€œit needs to be funā€. So the complaints that this or that is not how it works in reality are imo pretty dumb. The combat is more realistic than anything that has been done before, Iā€™m actually really surpised how far they went. But the most important thing is still fun, and that requires elements that are not realistic.

I also donā€™t agree that directional blocking is a good idea. The combat is already so complicated that adding another mechanic of this sort would imo only cause troubles. I actually like the current system and itā€™s connection with stamina a lot.

3 Likes

The move at 29 seconds is something you can do, If you parry at the right time while evading back you can recreate that agaisnt them.

I did it once but i am having trouble recreating it.

Many of these things I have managed to do but only on accident.

I havenā€™t tested yet but this is the answerI got from the team on how to do it.

in the current build does the AIā€™s stamina alter the effectiveness of comboā€™s?

No, effectivity of combos not depends on stamina for nowā€¦

1 Like

Good too know, I just wanted to know what factors are involved for more accurate testing.

So far combos are the only thing I am having troubles with completing.

We are quite aware of the importance of fun in the mix of all this, and as I said I find the combat system greatly entertaining. What could be done, however, to bring the combat closer to reality are different animations (WH said these were still placeholders), so that the fencing looks less like stage combat slashing widely with your blade, and more historically accurate wristwork above your head.

The issue here might be that since in accurate longsword fencing, your arms are almost always above your head (it works like cover in boxing), this would limit your vision in the game during the combat a great deal. Also what may be difficult to change at this stage of development are the target zones. Having just head as a target zone seems now inconsistent with the combat system as a whole.

Its a shame that WH havenā€™t invested more into armoured fencing design. Half-swording/wrestling combat could be good fun, especially since they already have the clash of swords-kick-punch etc. mechanism in place. I guess we still have to look for a proper armoured fencing game sometime in the future.

Btw there is a special technique counter strike in Elwinā€™s AI Moves video (the very first, time 0:07) which is actually a great reproduction of how would you defend in reality (striking from above to the opponents head). All in all, WH did great job in implementing some techniques into the system, be it only as ā€œspecial movesā€ rather than normal course of fencing.

Yeah can confirm this works. I am so happy right now!

1 Like