1.4.1 Pestilence crash

Come now, be reasonable, all games should ship 100% bug-free and having a single major bug is proof that the devs are lazy and evil. I completely agree with Quarter.Cask. This is completely unaccpetable. The devs should be banned for life for ever touching a computer. Obviously any dev studio, no matter how new or tiny or cash-strapped, should be able to afford enough game testers to smash all bugs that pop up. I’m offended that this game even exists! There’s literally no middle ground between “This game is perfect and I love it” and “This shouldn’t be allowed” such as “This is a great game and I love it but it’s really disappointing how many bugs there are, but I’m going to continue to support this development studio because this is their very first game and they were virtually out of money when they were forced to ship this game”

Honestly, there’s NO middle ground. If anyone defends this affront to basic humanity then they too are evil and should be thrown in jail and never allowed to touch a computer in their lives.

Poe’s Law aside, I too am currently stuck because of this bug (I’ve literally done ALL the side missions already so I am legitimately stuck, you HAVE to go into Straw’s house), but since I’m a grown-up and this isn’t my first videogame, I’ll be patient and wait.

That’s one helluva work-around!

Just tried it and the workaround works, thanks Hex99 !

Same crash here. Any news about this? This is the main quest!

Same crash for me, got up to this point today. Definitely something the devs need to fix ASAP

I was able to complete Both quests using a similar work around to HEX, only problem was I would crash after 24 hours. Was able to fix it following the workaround from Phenom in this thread: Pestilence / Questions and Answers - Cutscene Crash to Desktop after 1.4.1 Hope it works for you as well, I created this account just to tell others about the workaround, as i was so annoyed by the bug for days.

1 Like

I, like so many, was struggling with this quest as well. Tried the workarounds that didn’t involve modifying files to no avail. Finally, I tried removing the HD-texture pack: didn’t work. So in desperation I removed all the HD-DLC, and suddenly the cutscene triggered normally and I was able to complete both quests with no issues. I was still using mods at the time as well. I’ve no idea if it was the HD-sounds or HD-voices that was causing the bug for me, though, or if it was all of the DLC-packs. I’m not going to go back and test this. Hope this works for some, if not all of you, though.

Unfortunately disabling all DLC didn’t work for me, I even tried going back to my save from before 1.4 and playing through “Baptism of fire” again before progressing to “Questions and answers” and still got a CTD. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

NO NO NO adnd NO again, it doesn’t matter wether they are a small or big studio, THEY have made a product that they want to sell, and that we have bought, we would have no right to complain if it was a free game, but it’s not it cost 50 euro. It’s a product that is not finished and not polished. People might say “there will always be bugs in game” but game breaking bugs should not exist, it’s not up to the consumer to provide data to the seller, it’s the producers job to have testet these things again and again before being put on market

2 Likes

Here’s a solution that worked for me (detailed description in the thread):

1 Like

If you’re dissatisfied, ask for a refund, if that’s possible, and don’t ever buy anything from them again. That is your right, just spare us of this whining. There are realities in making hugely complex open world games which are immutable: it is hard and it involves a lot of trial and error. I am willing to forgive an ambitious young team (Warhorse) some missteps.

This was the very first crash during the whole time I played the game. Before, I only saw minor graphical glitches, pop-in (but my system is not as powerful as that of some other people here, so I won’t complain) and once I had to reload because henry got glitched during archery contest with Capon. Oh, and Theresa is unfortunately bugged and I can’t get the third date. Well, it’s not great, but it doesn’t make the game “literally unplayable”. I enjoy it a lot.

Now when the game is a commercial success (I hope) and Warhorse has secured a source of income, they can continue polishing the game. That’s how it is: first you have to succeed and release the game (I guess you would have preferred if they declared bankruptcy and never released the game at all because “it’s not polished enough”), then you can worry about ironing out all the bugs and glitches, adding some cut features in the game, ensuring mod compatibility, etc. They’re trying and I appreciate it.

So go play Skyrim (years old, re-released multiple times and still full of bugs) if you’re so angry and leave us be.

This is a thread to discuss the Pestilence CTD and possible solutions. There are hundreds of other threads for you two to go and bitch at each other in, or ideally you can take it to private messages. How about YOU spare US the sanctimonious preaching that serves no function in this thread and keep to the topic at hand.

And I offered a link to a solution to the bug which worked for me, so go play a mod somewhere else.

Yes I saw that and I appreciate it (though I doubt it fixes the issue entirely since Mattias will still be bugged no?), what I don’t appreciate is the follow up rant, you’re whining about someone else whining. I’m not “playing a mod” I’m another user who is bloody tired of these arguments in every thread I try to read. Stop being #triggered and have a nice day.

Well la di da good for you that you only had 1 crash, but I’ve had multiple random crashes. Pestilence is intertwined with the main quest but I guess that doesn’t matter, as long as you’re happy with the product. “Now when the game is a commercial success (I hope) and Warhorse has secured a source of income”. If you have no mind on how the real world works or how business works, please stop spouting nonsense. If they dont have a source of income they should find investors like everyone else. The only reasons this game is on market is because of suckers like us who have bought the game “in hope that it works and that it can be played without interruption” and that there isn’t a control on what a finished game is.
I bought the game via steam and their policy is no refund if you played over 2 hours of the game (at least in my experience) and I am mighty disappointed that steam did not quality check the game before saying “ok” to release it!
So F"#% off with your SJW bullshit and learn how things works when you’re not behind a computer

Jesus, the game of this scale cannot be without bugs, try to make a small piece of code yourself, some tetris for godsake will stil. have. bugs. That’s how programming works.
Huge companies like Ubisoft can’t fix their game for YEARS, take Division for example or Wild Lands and you complain about bugs that are fixed within weeks. Just give it time, if you can’t continue the main quest line then try side quests/other activities in the game.

1 Like

SJW? Me? For saying I enjoy the game, despite having to deal with some bugs? You might want to look up the meaning of the phrase.
Look, your lordship, you can feel butthurt and whine like a little brat because the game doesn’t meet your unrealistic expectations, or try to find solutions like the rest of us. Auf wiedersehen (lest someone berate me for being off topic again).

No you’re a fucking SJW for defending a product that is riddled with bugs, we are basically paying WH to be beta testers, no matter what you say, it cannot be excused that you can’t progress with the main story line without taking a round about way. If you are taking my criticism of your beloved game as whining then it is not me who should be called a brat, but you since it’s quite clear that you have no idea how ANY other products in the world is quality tested before being put on market for sale except for computer games

1 Like

You don’t know what SJW means. But I do agree the bugginess is frustrating. Bugs I understand, but I see an increasing trend in the industry of rushing games out before they are properly tested and bugs are squashed. I first had my character shaking like he was on drugs and then I have this issue.

Totaly agree with Happedaps. People have all the right to be frustrated with a beta game that claimed to be finished.
And no, it is not always easy to get your money back because I tried already.

1 Like