3rd person continuation

Continuing the discussion from Hello and 3rd person:

So you prefer to have some people not buying the game and not playing because of the absence of third person instead than having it as optional so that everyone can pick what he likes?
I guess you could as well use 1st person only . I do not see where is the issue in that case?

Btw I find this forum quite ankward to use , after 19 answers a thread closed?

4 Likes

developing third person isn’t an easy task. i’d rather they put all effort on the best 1st person system, as is their vision for an immersive game, rather than tack on 3rd person to appease some fans.

and if some people will not play the game because no third person, then they weren’t that interested to begin with.

the usual arguments for 3rd person are also easily countered. headaches? has nothing to do with 3rd or 1st person, but field of view. lots of console games have <60 degrees. 75-80fov is a good range.

and headbobbing is a definite cause of nausea. and unrealistic too. when i walk or run my vision doesn’t bob, there’s an inbuilt gyroscope and stabilizer in my brain. since i’m playing directly through the character, there should be no headbobbing, otherwise it’s more like looking through a camera strapped to my character’s head. headbobbing is something borrowed from movies like saving private ryan and used in fps from console game devs who have no understanding of the above things i just mentioned.

2 Likes

I do not think that you can blame people that woudl avoid the game because woudl cause them to vomit every five minutes as beeing not interested in it .
I have gived a small contribution and I am interested but I won’t be able to play it if won’t have a 3rd person.
Other people instead require it because like to watch at their characters all time while walking around and this makes them feel more imersed than just seeing hands and feets.

As for headbobbing its not possible to remove from the fights if you want to move around etc , otherwise woudl be a static game in 1st person . The most problematic situations for the motion sickness are caused by abrupt changes of vision references . This is especially true for combat, narrow places like dungeons and quick camera movements ( I guess required if you run or have to do stuff quickly ) the horse riding and as it seems also a lot of other perfomance actions like crafting and the like that would require camera shakes and moves to simulate a certain realism .
All of that woudl simply be “fixed” with an external camera viewpoint or third person "
It woudl be optional so that whol feels more imersed in 1st person would use that and on the same time woudl allow all the rest of the people with the motion sickness or the vanity mode entusiasts to be able to play the game and enjoy it equally .

As for headaches having nothing to do with 1st or 3rd person . This is not correct . its not only the FOV , also changing the FOV doesn’t help most of the times but its a matter of reference points .
Its the opposit of the Sickness from sea .
In the videogame case is caused by the motion Seen but not Felt .
Studies prove that almoust 50% of people trying games in 1st person do suffer after a while depending on the subject from motion sickness .

“Studies prove” : please, source. From the people around me playing, this figure looks way over-inflated.

The motion sickness I’ve seen at work is due to 3 things :

1. Erratic camera rotation (aka, headbob). Make it an option, problem solved.
  2. Movement blur. Make it an option, problem solved.
  3. Fast movement. Check you mouse sensitivity.

OTOH, 3rdPoV is abusable as hell. In OFP/ArmA, I’ve abused the hell out of it. You know things with it you should never been able to have a clue about. Seeing behind walls, inside entrance, etc…
It has been that much of an advantage is was THE core of combat in Planetside, where switching in & out of 3rdPoV was the most pushed button in game. They learned the lesson and removed it in the sequel.

ArmA 2 was giving me one hell of a motion sickness at first, until I found the correct tweaking. I hate going on a A2/A3 server and being forced into usage of 3rdPoV, because the option is enabled on the server and not using it puts me at severe disadvantage (against both AI and other players, mind you. Namely, against AI, 3rdPoV negates ANY impact of vegetation around you, it is silly).

I can perfectly see valid reasons the devs want to see their game 1stPoV only.

5 Likes

It’s funny because we had (or still have) the same argument over in the Star Citizen forums. In the end, this is a design choice, and for the sake of immersion, I’d like the developers to go through with their original plan

If some people don’t buy the game because it is first-person, than maybe they are not the target group anyways.

3rd person makes games often feel “console-ish” and “arcade”

9 Likes

Well said, totally agreed here.

Honestly, sometimes I suffered dizziness when playing in first person but I was going to play old games (old graphics) and labyrinthine. Today I no longer happens and indeed the first person shooters are my favorites. And many people argue that the first person is dizzying and blablabla when it is often because they do not want to adapt.

With respect to whether it could be included, it could be included. But it would be an extra expense to recreate decent animations and not like Skyrim that they were laughable. So from my point of view not worth inclusion and direct those resources to the game.

But you can rest assured, modders will surely hear your prayers :smiley:

I prefer a mix of 3rd and 1st. I use 1st for archery, but prefer 3rd for pretty much all else. With current technology, without a multi-screen set-up and headtracker, 1st person is just missing too much peripheral vision.

2 Likes

I think this discussion is endless and very much like “Salt or Sugar”, but the developers are trying to be as authentic as possible, then the answer is simple: Only first person. And by the way Warhorse never wanted to make the game evrebody will like :wink:

2 Likes

I prefer to see my character in 3rd person; it just it looks cool to me, but I understand that it can break game mechanics. I will enjoy this game whether Warhorse decides to allow 3rd person or not.

If you guys saw the new video update for “Horses” then you can see that he was playing in a 3rd person view. They might be implementing optional 3rd person view…

3rd person has been in the developer build for awhile now. it’s not functional, there are errors. they use it for development purposes.

So they have most of it there , wich means that they just need to fix eventual bugs and implement it .
Its not that the game is about to be released right? They have lot of time to fix and implement still.

1 Like

I hope there is a 3rd person view, even though games like Mount & Blade: Warband and Skyrim had both options 3rd person was my go to view.

2 Likes

I also hope they make third person an option.

What can be more immersive in a open world game, then seeing the world like in real life - out of my own eyes, stuck to my head …?!
It works great in Skyrim for instance.
The only thing possible should be a switch, to turn off head bobbing and motion blur, or at least it should be adjustable to the ones liking.

It feels more “being there”, instead of playing as 3rd person.

If i compare a open world game like Skyrim with 1st person played (or a shooter like Battlefield …) to other open world games like Just Cause 2 , Sleeping Dogs or GTA, which are played in 3rd person, watching your char doing the stuff, then, like mentioned above, it doesn’t give me the feel at all, at being there “myself”. It makes me think all the time, that i just steer around someone else in those “living worlds” and don’t live through it myself, like 1st person does.

This game, Kingdom Come, is suppose to give an impression of a life and a persons adventures, problems, fights in those medieval times and that can basicly only work in 1st person at it’s best.
I’ve read through the description of this game developement and watched the videos about it - and because of what was said and discribed, i decided to spent money on it, because it will really try to let me experience this time period as close to real as possible.
There are more then enough games with 3rd person view on the market and still and will be developed, so this game with it’s special ideas will be finally something different, then what we are used to.
So 1st person view, as in real life, is a MUST in this game.

What can be more immersive, then walking around, like in real life, where i don’t have eyes in my back head. I maybe hear some noise and to see, if someone is sneaking up on me, like in real life, i HAVE to turn my head or even body, to check what’s up !
If i have a 3rd person view figure in front of me i can see a large area all around my char, where it’s like i would have a 360 degrees view in real life and could see ALL the time, what’s going on around me !!??
Do you believe, those knights in medieval times had such a special ability ? I don’t think so - no even less, if they were wearing a solid metal helmet, with just slits to look out - so going through the world this way, will be much more exciting i would say !

Everyone else complaining here, that there would be no 3rd person view, i can’t understand, because stuff like that was already explained in the description. If i don’t like the ideas, why then supporting it ?

But all those discussion here on the board to me are mainly like all the real life discussions about music, movies, cars, food or whatever else - it’s always a matter of taste, which is and will always be individual and never ever all will agree …

And the developers at Warhorse won’t be able to satisfy everybodys wishes anyway … :wink: … if they would, then this game would turn into the stinky normal like any other game already on the market.
Don’t destroy some new idea like this …

2 Likes

I personally always play in third person, however for Kingdom come I actually think a third person perspective would take away from the immersion. If you’re not going to buy kingdom come because it lacks a third person then you might as well not buy it because you can’t play a female for very long and will probably have an absence of different cultures/races.

It makes no sense to compare a feature for cosmetics like female character to a serious issue like motion sickness to me .

Thats an important problem and actually a lot of people feel more immersed in 3rd person , looking at their own character rather than headache issuing first person .

I hope that the final game offers the option to change between 1st and 3rd person every time

1 Like

Any news on this?

I WANT to give my money but I NEED 3 person please, note that this WONT affect other people because the games is singleplayer. Also, I don’t mind if the game is easier or harder because of this, I can adjust settings according to my preferences. Regarding combat should be easy enough, just force the camera to our back when in combat, think of it like aiming in a normal 3rd person shooter, this should solve the problem. Finally, playing in first person breaks immersion to me, I really prefer 3rd person.

Please, I really want to see my character looks, clothes, armor, shield, animations, etc…

Thanks!