Blood and Gore.? Post here if you want it!

Blood and gore? Yes, of course. Look into the history books. The medieval times were very bloody and very gory indeed. To exaggerate it? NO! This should be a realistic game, remember?

2 Likes

Of course there should be blood and gore! Bur as said in a realistic way,Medieval era was brutal but still not be like if you scratch someone with a knife the blood will just spray out and to the ground, No! No! No!. Lets say you hit someone with a sword to to the plate armor, If you even manage to get trough the plate with your sword and to the flesh most of the blood would remain under the plate. of course some of the blood might come on to of the plate but I doubt that any blood would spray or spill. If on the other hand you hit someone without an armor all the blood will be visible in the clothes, and also if you manage to get a good hit to the arm it might cut off or alteast create a deep wound to the arm.

Other example. You have a mace witch is better against plate armor (obviously) It creates a deeper damage to the armor and to the flesh But still the armor would block it from being too visible, also if you hit someone to the helmet with the mace it would probaply crack the skull or atleast cause bleeding and since there are many veins in the head the blood would,depending on the type of helmet drip under the helmet to the body and clothes or armor. And of course if you hit the guy with out an helmet to the face that would break the skull whitch means lots of blood and the blood would pretty much cover the whole face (whats left of it atleast) and would drip to the body and to the ground.

Atleast thats how I imagine it would be. Correct me if i’m wrong please!

1 Like

Cutting off limbs should be possible on light armoured units, but not on chainmail full plate armour. I also would like to see your enemy bleed at the area they got hit, and not dissapearing after a few seconds

2 Likes

I would not mind to see gore in this game.

Wow, well, yeah. Very graphic and descriptive :smile: . But of course, you’ve hit the nail on the head. I believe nobody should expect a bucket of brains and a wheelbarrow of guts to spray out of enemy after a single hit by a dagger. Like many games does these days. The game should keep a decent level of realism. I cannot help myself not to mention the Game of Thrones series, where, in my opinion, is a lot of violence - but the gore there is depicted in a very believable way, without covering the camera lens in a gallons of blood and entrails. Might be a good example.

1 Like

Would be really neat if damage/blood spray/dismemberment etc. was tailored to the weapon you were using. I know that’s a ton of work though.

Though I love Kingdom of Heaven and wouldn’t mind that level of stylized blood and gore, I would be happy with realistic or slightly more gratuitous violence and gore.

Making violence less messy or cleaner than it is and focusing on the great athletic achievement is at least as glorifying as over use of gore. I hope it will be disgusting and people will lay around wounded while screaming instead of instantly and conveniently dropping dead. That’s still a reality of war that we like to blend out. So obviously I favor realism but beyond no smoothly chopping off limbs or heads I don’t know what that means.

There are going to be so many disappointed people at launch because it won’t live up to the reputation of the so called ‘dark ages’ if Warhorse dares to stay true to the idea of realism.

1 Like

I would support NPC slow death if they accurately depict their wounds and it fuels a background reputation system. If you are merciful word gets around, if you finish enemies off that does as well.

Back on topic, the gore level all comes down to what best supports the story. If Warhorse wants to depicts the harshness and consequence of getting into battle then more blood and gore is appropriate. If the developers want you to be more the avenging hero and not so wrapped up in the consequence of battle then an NPC not showing suffering or excess blood would be the way to go.

1 Like

I would hope for a realistic portrayal as far as the engine allows, too many games go too far or not far enough. Naturally Warhorse will have to invest some research into stabbing people in full armour to see what happens . . . :stuck_out_tongue:

Seems only logical to at least include blood. I really hate games where kill or injure something and nothing happens. It’s like the enemies are made up out of nothing, just thin air.

A game like this has to include blood and to be realistic also some gore, we are talking about a game that takes place in medieval times, times known for violence, torture, executions and more. If Warhorse wants the game to be realistic in general, they have to do this, there’s no excuse.

However, I don’t know about marketing and predicting sales and what not so I wouldn’t be surprised if someone would advise them not to include gore (and blood) so that the game gets a lower PEGI rating and can be sold to -18 year old gamers. If they do include it, just add the option to turn it off and on when you like, that way everybody wins.

I am still waiting for a game that shows consequences of injuries to almost exact detail, nobody has done it. For example, hit someone with an arrow in the hand, they should lose the ability to use it for holding a weapon afterwards or shoot someone in the leg and they can’t move anymore or crawl away. Or even more into detail, loosing fingers, an eye, a foot
and so on. I know this would be an enormous task, maybe even to much to handle, but it would be something unique.

having a toggle option isn’t going to change the ratings.

Blood and gore? Of course!

What kind of wounds do weapons that slice, hack and hammer yeild?
Lots of blood, broken bone and soiled underwear please.

Excerpt from Bernard Cornwell’s novel “1356”:

“Thomas laid his bow and arrow bag at the tree line and forced his way into the line. There was an axe on the ground and he picked it up. ‘Get back’, someone told him. Thomas wore nothing but mail and leather, and this was a place where men were sheathed in steel, but Thomas pushed into the second rank and used his archer’s strength to swing the axe overhead, bringing it’s weighted blade down hard onto a French helmet and the weapon went through plume, steel and skull. The axe had been swung with such force that it’s blade had bitten deep into the enemy’s chest cavity where it was trapped by a mangle of ribs, flesh and steel. A mist of blood flared in the morning sun as Thomas tried to pull the weapon free and a stout, broad-chested man wearing a snouted helmet saw his chance and rammed a shortened lance at Thomas’ belly. Arnaldus, the Gascon, hit the man with an axe, knocking his head sideways, and Thomas abandoned the axe and seized the lance, pulling it to drag the man into his ranks where he could be killed, and the man pulled back. Karyl swung the mace and the snout-visor was knocked free, dangling from one hinge, and the Frenchman still would not abandon the lance. He was snarling, screaming insults, and Karyl slammed his mace into the moustached face, crushing the nose and breaking teeth, and now the man, his face a mask of blood, tried to ram the lance forward again, but Karyl punched the mace a second time and Arnaldus brought his axe down onto the man’s shoulder , splitting his espalier, and the enemy went down onto his knees, spitting blood and teeth, and Arnaldus finished him with a mighty swing of the axe and kicked the kneeling body back towards the French. The battle was now shrunken to the distance a man’s weapon could reach. Enemy could smell enemy, smell the shit as bowels emptied in terror, smell the wine and ale on their breath, smell the blood that slicked the grass. There would be a brutal bout of fighting, then a pause as men pulled back and caught their breath.”

2 Likes

I agree with a lot of comments I read in this thread: Yes, display of bloof and gore is fine as long as it is kept as a realistic (meaning not too excessive) level.

1 Like

Blood is a must, but no chopping limbs off while they are in full plate armour.

1 Like

Reality supersedes mere pleasantness. The fact of the matter is that this is a game centred around warfare. War is brutal, nasty and bloody. Perhaps a game centred around armed, hand to hand combat is not for you, regardless the historical actuality of the blood and gore remain.

1 Like

I want the combat in KCD to look like that
 :wink:

(Oh and for the historical combat nerds amung us: the last scene with the war hammer IS unrealistic, yes. The editor of the vid said it himself that the actor should have died from very probably already the first blow to the head. But for “entertainment reasons” the editor let him survive with the excuse that he was hit on the arm first and then only striked at the head with the second blow. And yeah, I know that the armor and weapons are not 100% historically accurate. Please spare me the sermon
)

How about an execution-themed mini-game? Giving no quarter to the vanquished enemy would be proper in the warrior mode, after a victorious battle.

IIRC Warhorse already said that there will be “executioners” which means that there will be certain kill animations (maybe like in Assassin’s Creed I guess)

I actually like it. Experience enough pain and you don’t know what you see. The game needs a way to convey pain without inflicting it on the player :wink: Warhorse has found a clever way.

1 Like