Combat becomes trivially easy by mid-game. This MUST be fixed

I’m only like 5-6 hours in the game so far and find the combat nice and challenging, and most times when I die I feel like it was due to me messing something up and not just that my character is bad. Which is good!

It is disheartening to read that it boils down to you running around 1-2 shotting heavily armoured knights in mid-late game once you get the hang of the controls. As realistically it does not matter how good I am at using a sword, if my sword strikes metal it strikes metal… however the chance to hit a weak spot would increase. Attacking someone in cloth, light leather, stab to the face etc should kill or mortally wound anyone in just a few hits, depending on where you connect.

I practice “viking figthing” in real life, it is kinda like HEMA but with weapons and armour from the viking age and less rules. I have a metal helmet with padding and a strike to the head with a regular sword is usually not that noticeable. Only once during the… 10 years or so I have been doing this have I been hit hard enough to black out for a second or two, that was a ~2m long axe that hit me with full force in the head.

Also, im not a big guy. So if even I can shrug off several blows before going down I can easily see why the medieval knights had to use the tactics they did to get passed the armour, often duels between knights was just 2 guys beating on each other with a sword until one of them got too fatigued to go on and yielded.

just my ramblings, I’m having a blast with the game regardless =)

1 Like

Who cares about the real world? It’s a video game that’s supposed to be challenging. So they need to make it more challenging. They messed up somewhere with combat AI and damage scaling. This is a video game FIRST.

But your arguments are two extremes — it’s either 1. It’s a video game and should be easy, or 2. If it was realistic you should have been dead a long time ago. Or, how about it’s a video game with realistic elements, and it should be challenging.

Also, you can shoot people with arrows and they don’t care. That’s not realism, and I’m pretty sure video game AI hasn’t been that stupid for 15 years.

2 Likes

It feels a number of people exploited a mechanic to buff their stats above where you would normally expect.

Im doing pretty much every training i can and my core weapon and defense stats are still low. I feel those that made use of mechanics have likely made the game easy for themselves.

No one exploited anything. Just following the main quest line, you will still be god murdering machine.

1 Like

But likewise you do in any game. Ive clocked about 40 hours so far.

Im not saying people exploited negatively but rather they exploited the ability to farm strength and weapon skill through a trainer.

Like anything if you farm it. It could well be an exploitable mechanic.

So playing normally through the main quest is exploiting and farming stats? The game is too easy. It really is. I even started a new game to start fresh and because I’m now used to the combat mechanics, it’s still easy. The AI is incredibly stupid.

Similar thing happened to me I did a combo I learnt from the trainer in rattay where you like poke them in the face and I had the head cracker perk I think it is (the one where you can knock them out with a blow to the head) and he went down so to kill him I had to do the mercy kill thing

Let me get this straight, some people sat in the training grounds for hours to cheese their strength, agility and sword skills and are now complaining the game is too easy?

1 Like

Please read other posters comments. They said they farmed. Likewise anything is easy once you know the mechanics. Its like expecting people in the main raid guilds not to first time clear raids in wow classic if they arent modified.

I didn’t farm and it’s still too easy. I’m in a fresh start right now and it’s still too easy. Them farming and being too easy also means that the damage scaling needs to be tweaked.

Are you really defending the game right now? You really don’t think that they need to at least at the OPTION of increased difficulty and level scaling???

1 Like

Level scaling is a mechanic i dislike. Its just showing you are avoiding the route of the issue. Now what would be interesting is to see AI improve their stats etc over time as we do.

Likewise, giving the enemies the perks we also have access to presumimg they dont already.

Really, I just played the main quest and some side quest, I have 50 hours in game and i’m super OP, anyone that comes will be dead in one or two hits, most of them don’t even know how to fight, and the ones ho do still die with a few hits on the armor. btw I didn’t farm any strength points or something like that. Now I use the shit sword I can find so there is a lit bit of challenge.

2 Likes
  1. Mods will salvage this game for people who want a challenge, provided WH hasn’t locked themselves into Faustian bargains.
  2. It’s better than Skyrim but until we have takedowns and stilettos through the armpits, purists will not be satisfied (fair enough - it would be epic to actually have ground fighting)
  3. The AI sucks and needs a lot of work. It’s particularly flawed when you fight from horseback and the enemies go into scripted “reset” when they can no longer see you. And they never try to get around behind you. Only when you lose all your stamina does it suddenly become a challenge.
  4. You should have a risk of tripping over when moving backwards in combat, especially in rougher terrain. It’s ridiculous to be able to backup at half-sprint in full plate, in a forest.
  5. Block/riposte is way overpowered. I was able to kill Runt with a shortsword riposte to the face. Why he insists on fighting without any kind of helmet is so Hollywood…
1 Like

After 30 hours I can beat everyone and even on one vs groups of people… This issue needs to be fixed VERY soon.

1 Like

Hey Buddy!! So good to see you on here! How are you feeling about the game in general? I know how much you were looking forward to it. :slight_smile:

Hello mate. Glad to see you too. :wink: It’s a good game already. Just needs some balancing,small fixes and polishing. We have seen match worse bugs and issues from AAA companies with decades of experience, so in due time this game will be a gem, if devs will not fail to deliver what the have promised.

1 Like

I didn’t do that and still think its too easy.

You shouldn’t be able to gain experience in the combat arena.

Also gaining experience needs a hard nerf, leveling is just too easy in general. The fast rate of leveling is a contributing factor to many players getting super snowbally mid game.

1 Like

The first time I did combat arena I noticed I gained STR/AGI and SWORD skill. That was the last time I used the combat arena.

Now I only level when fighting actual enemies and the game is progressing nicely in my opinion. Maybe i’ll think it’s too easy later on as well, but I quickly realized it would make the game a bore if I trained further.

Based on most of the posts i’ve read here, it seems people trained a good deal and then went and farmed bandit camps through the Bernard side quests. Took their time and used arrows and cheese tactics to fully clear the camps (not just the leader) and then traded in all the gear, rinse/repeat. Upgraded armor/weapons, proceeded to train and/or clear camps and THEN continued main quest.

I was tempted to do the same, but realized (based on gamer experience in general) that such would make the game trivial at higher levels.

Looks like i’m fairly accurate on that assessment =)

Having a difficulty slider would be an “easy” fix.

You don’t have to do any of that to become overpowered, like I’ve said. Yes, others have spent a lot of time training, and that itself shows that damage scaling needs work. But even without doing any of that and just doing the main quest, combat is still too easy, especially when you have a decent understanding of the combat system. I started a new game to start fresh with zero perks, and the challenge is gone. The difference between now and the first time I started playing is that now I completely understand the combat mechanics, and even with low level stats I can cut through bandits with ease. So I’m pretty sure that the issue with combat being too easy comes from the AI not being adequate enough to provide a challenge.

1 Like

Agreed, I think they should cap training levels at 5 and decrease overall level speed. I too am experiencing the “god of war” problem and easily wiped out runt’s band at mid level. I managed to fight through the 4v1 encounter right before as well.

2 Likes